Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 01:08 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

Swapped cranks to my black Race Face and added a grey LX derailleur and black rack.... now I just have to match the frame colour to those shades.

Looking at something like this...

Old 05-28-11, 04:02 PM
derekthelion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Click to see larger!

Just put new tape, finally figured a way to get a bottle cage on here (not pictured), new pedals (with clips), and topeak rear rack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00172-20110526-1709.jpg (104.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 05-28-11, 04:05 PM
derekthelion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
My new commuter

[IMG][/IMG]
Really nice!
Old 05-29-11, 09:22 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by derekthelion
Really nice!
Thanks all! The gearing on this is 46/30 up front; 11-36, 10 speed in the rear. The front derailer is an old Campagnolo record from the early 1970's (friction). The rear is a new, 9 speed, Shimano XT. The crankset an old Sugino copy of a TA crankset, requires a fd with a flat cage. A modern shaped cage would hit the crank arm. Shifting is great. The front has no issues and it is a mix of 10 speed chain, 1970's fd with 6/7 speed chainrings. The rear is shifted in 10 speed index mode from a Shimano barend. The bike will be in my office with me so no theft issues to worry about
Old 05-29-11, 02:25 PM
jakevance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excuse the lousy photography, but here are my commuters. The Surly Cross Check has been my commuter, but it's being replaced by the Trek Triton (single speed) so I can keep the Cross Check purely for joy rides, touring, etc.

The Triton is getting new tires next week. I'll be swapping out the 23c tires for 28c gatorskins, which should make for a better commute. The Surly will keep the semi-knobby CX tires for now, since they're comfy for long rides, and handy for a bit of off-roading/rough trail riding on the weekends.

Can't even express how much I love these two bikes, for totally different reasons. I also like how the designs/colors compliment each other nicely. The Surly is de-decaled except for the two you see in the photo, and all the (surprisingly tasteful) decals on the Triton are not visible from the side. They're all on the insides/front of the seat tube, down tube, etc. Both are currently rocking different models of Shimano clipless/platform pedals. The A530 and the M324. FYI, for anyone who's interested, I absolutely prefer the A530s. Way lighter, much easier to flip with your toe, due to a wider platform, and WAY less painful when it smacks into your shin/calf when your foot slips compared to the cheese-grater M324s.
Old 05-29-11, 07:20 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been commuting on this since January. I took the fenders off and tried a couple bags. Finally settled on a small Acorn.

Its fine for commuting and riding around town but at some point I'll switch the crank to a triple.

Old 05-29-11, 08:39 PM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first commuter!

Well guys, I am new to the scene and the forums. I started commuting to work last week after getting fed up with gas prices and insurance hikes. I live in Clemson, SC, and my home is only around 7 miles from the office. I went in to the whole thing not knowing what I was getting in to, and thought it was only around a 2 mile ride Never the less, I managed to do it the first day, and have had no issues thus far! My commuter is a Diamondback Edgewood LX, but I wish I had read more in to the lifestyle, because I would have went far higher end if I had known all the benefits of a better bike (not that this one is terrible, per se). I will be taking delivery of a Raleigh Alley Way this next week, and it will become my "fair weather" commuter, with the Diamondback remaining the beater. Anyway, heres the picture!

Attached Images
IMG_20110529_222802 (1).jpg (94.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-30-11, 06:15 PM
she

Bikes: A Raleigh detour 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edsmemberships about your butterfly handlebars....Can I ask a few question about these bars? I bought it. Did you replace all the components yourself and was it hard? Or did you take it to a bike store to do it. Was it expensive if you did? Thanks! It looks great!

Last edited by she; 05-30-11 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-31-11, 05:04 AM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet rides, my crosscheck is backed up by a 1979 Schwinn LeTour converted to single speed, but that trek is gorgeous. Also, what rack is that on your surly? I have been looking for something I can strap a couple of panniers to without heel strike issues.

Originally Posted by jakevance
Excuse the lousy photography, but here are my commuters. The Surly Cross Check has been my commuter, but it's being replaced by the Trek Triton (single speed) so I can keep the Cross Check purely for joy rides, touring, etc.

The Triton is getting new tires next week. I'll be swapping out the 23c tires for 28c gatorskins, which should make for a better commute. The Surly will keep the semi-knobby CX tires for now, since they're comfy for long rides, and handy for a bit of off-roading/rough trail riding on the weekends.

Can't even express how much I love these two bikes, for totally different reasons. I also like how the designs/colors compliment each other nicely. The Surly is de-decaled except for the two you see in the photo, and all the (surprisingly tasteful) decals on the Triton are not visible from the side. They're all on the insides/front of the seat tube, down tube, etc. Both are currently rocking different models of Shimano clipless/platform pedals. The A530 and the M324. FYI, for anyone who's interested, I absolutely prefer the A530s. Way lighter, much easier to flip with your toe, due to a wider platform, and WAY less painful when it smacks into your shin/calf when your foot slips compared to the cheese-grater M324s.
Old 05-31-11, 05:52 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
Thats a pretty sweet bike.
There's many a sweet bike on this thread. I have to keep telling myself I love my bike (bikes) and I don't need another one (or two).
Old 05-31-11, 08:04 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idc
There's many a sweet bike on this thread. I have to keep telling myself I love my bike (bikes) and I don't need another one (or two).
Yep thats the biggest problem with BF is they make you want more/other bikes.
Old 05-31-11, 12:53 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Just built this up but will have to decide on whether to keep it or sell another bike (I have a limit)... will be sweet and simple for those trips that rate nothing more than a backpack.

Have put 40 km on it since Sunday night and just love it and since it was free and built up with spare bits owes me nothing.
Old 05-31-11, 01:40 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Just built this up but will have to decide on whether to keep it or sell another bike (I have a limit)... will be sweet and simple for those trips that rate nothing more than a backpack.

Have put 40 km on it since Sunday night and just love it and since it was free and built up with spare bits owes me nothing.
Dammit Sixty, you put that up just to tempt me, didn't you? (looking through couch for spare change)...Add me to the list of interested parties if you decide to sell...
Old 05-31-11, 03:34 PM
jakevance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwood
Sweet rides, my crosscheck is backed up by a 1979 Schwinn LeTour converted to single speed, but that trek is gorgeous. Also, what rack is that on your surly? I have been looking for something I can strap a couple of panniers to without heel strike issues.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised how tastefully and gorgeously painted the Trek is. Such a fun bike to ride.

And the rack on the Surly is a Bontrager Back Rack (https://bontrager.com/model/08243). The nice thing about this rack is that it comes in sizes for large and small bikes. Since my Cross Check is a 52cm, the guy at the LBS suggested the small-bike version because even on a compact-ish frame like the Cross Check in a small-ish size like my 52, there's very little chance of heel-strike except with exceptionally large panniers. My panniers are coming in the mail soon, so I can't attest to that, but I have tied stuffed grocery bags over the rack, pannier-style, and have never touched them with my heel, even with them loosely swaying. It's a really nice rack, and the LBS has it for about $40, and offered to install it for free. It's got much beefier seat-stay supports than a lot of other racks I've seen, so it feels almost sturdy enough for another person to stand on. It's also got a nice spot for a tail-light attachment that's well shielded by the rear edges of the rack.
Old 05-31-11, 04:00 PM
LongBeachRider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
newbie here,

My Boomer ready for duty. =]

Old 05-31-11, 05:14 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
That is the skinniest raccoon I've ever seen.
I've got one that looks just like it. All this time I thought it was a cat.
Old 05-31-11, 05:45 PM
jakevance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwood
Update: I just got my panniers in the mail today (Timbuk2 Tandem Pannier), and I can verify that on my 52cm Cross Check, with the Bontrager Back Rack and the Tandem Pannier, there is absolutely no heel strike. I have size 11.5 feet, and even with my feet pushed so far back on the pedal as possible, while still being able to pedal with my toes there's still at least a couple inches of clearance, or more. Pedaling with my feet in a normal position (clipped in on the balls of my feet), there's got to be at least 4-5 inches of clearance. Of course, it's worth pointing out that the Timbuk2 Tandem Panniers DO angle upwards towards the back a few degrees, to give more clearance, but I'm confident that similar sized panniers, even without this feature, will fit just fine.

Very pleased with this setup, and highly recommend it!
Old 05-31-11, 05:56 PM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakevance
Update: I just got my panniers in the mail today (Timbuk2 Tandem Pannier), and I can verify that on my 52cm Cross Check, with the Bontrager Back Rack and the Tandem Pannier, there is absolutely no heel strike. I have size 11.5 feet, and even with my feet pushed so far back on the pedal as possible, while still being able to pedal with my toes there's still at least a couple inches of clearance, or more. Pedaling with my feet in a normal position (clipped in on the balls of my feet), there's got to be at least 4-5 inches of clearance. Of course, it's worth pointing out that the Timbuk2 Tandem Panniers DO angle upwards towards the back a few degrees, to give more clearance, but I'm confident that similar sized panniers, even without this feature, will fit just fine.

Very pleased with this setup, and highly recommend it!
It's good to hear how much you like your setup. I actually have a very inexpensive generic rack on my cross check and I ride with a timbuk 2 shift pannier with no problems, but it sits pretty high up so I am afraid that if I put on a set of proper panniers that I will start hitting them with my heels. My crosscheck is being upgraded from commuter to tourer this summer so I am looking to outfit it properly.
Old 05-31-11, 07:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by groovestew
Dammit Sixty, you put that up just to tempt me, didn't you? (looking through couch for spare change)...Add me to the list of interested parties if you decide to sell...
You can pop by anytime to take the bike out for a ride... and if you want to play with it for a few days let me know.

Should be pretty much plug and play since we have nearly identical proportions.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 06-01-11 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-31-11, 09:37 PM
eric_the_poor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe heres mine... usually traveling pretty light. Panniers coming though

Old 06-01-11, 04:51 AM
tastewar

Bikes: 1981 Panasonic DX-2000, 1986 Cannondale SR500, 1991 Specialized Crossroads, ???? Surly Long Haul Trucker (700c)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just built this up but will have to decide on whether to keep it or sell another bike (I have a limit)...
O RLY? And just what is that magic number? :-)
Old 06-01-11, 05:16 AM
aceofspaids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Added a new stem (nitto technomic) and new bars (VO rando), next is some yellow cloth tape and some amber shellac.

Old 06-01-11, 09:15 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
You can pop by anytime to take the bike out for a ride... and if you want to play with it for a few days let me know.

Should be pretty much plug and pay since we have nearly identical proportions.
Will do, probably next week sometime.
Old 06-01-11, 02:30 PM
ModeratedUser22102018A
slow rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to commuting on two wheels and I'm hooked!

Here's a shot of my first ride to work on my new(old) Novara Buzz.

It's a 1x9 setup with what seem to be decent components? SRAM X5/7, 26" Slickasaurus on Alex rims, Ritchey headset/bars, Ergon grips...

I'm really loving the ride so far.
Attached Images
buzz.jpg (83.3 KB, 895 views)
Old 06-01-11, 02:37 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Last commute on the old Trek... she's going to a new home after a total refit.

If this bike could talk...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.