Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-10-17, 10:13 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
And yeah, long commutes suck bad cuz spare time is hard to come by so an extra hour a day makes a huge quality of life improvement. Imo.
Old 11-10-17, 10:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
My commute now is actually 15-30 minutes shorter than it was when I lived in Boston (depending on delays for both), but I miss that commute because it was spent on the T (or waiting for it), so I could sit around and read or get caught up on stuff (it was essentially enforced "me time" away from the kids and household duties). Now I have to spend all of that time thinking about driving.
Old 11-10-17, 10:38 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will admit that I almost chose / opt to stay at where I work because the commute is just long enough to be a nice ride, and it is close enough to a good place to train that lunch rides and morning rides are extremely doable. I like getting rid of "dead time" that results from commuting.
Old 11-10-17, 12:20 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Went to the doctor this morning to go over the results of my MRI. No brain tumor. Yay! Instead, they've diagnosed me with Meniere's Disease. Now I have to adopt a low-salt diet to keep things under control, and I still have to get my hearing aid.

While going through my MRI, my doctor also noticed how inflamed my sinuses are and how messed up my septum is in my nose - basically, I almost can't breathe through my nose. He's giving me a new medication to try to clear up my sinus issues. If after three months things aren't better, we can discuss surgical options. The surgery should improve my ability to breath and likely would could reduce my rather substantial sinus issues.
Old 11-10-17, 02:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Went to the doctor this morning to go over the results of my MRI. No brain tumor. Yay! Instead, they've diagnosed me with Meniere's Disease. Now I have to adopt a low-salt diet to keep things under control, and I still have to get my hearing aid.

While going through my MRI, my doctor also noticed how inflamed my sinuses are and how messed up my septum is in my nose - basically, I almost can't breathe through my nose. He's giving me a new medication to try to clear up my sinus issues. If after three months things aren't better, we can discuss surgical options. The surgery should improve my ability to breath and likely would could reduce my rather substantial sinus issues.
My father (about 90) has Meniere's that I think was diagnosed about age 70. For him it explained a lot of balance issues. I have sinus issues that primarily affect sleep. I've thought about getting it fixed, but I don't like the pictures. I'd like to hear how that goes. The whole aging thing is not so fun. Sorry about that, but glad there is no brain tumor.
Old 11-10-17, 02:48 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
25 minute commute by car, 40 minute commute by bike.

That includes my morning coffee, they get it done almost instantly when I ride my bike and there's typically a line when I drive through. Also, since I leave later by car, there's an exponential traffic increase; every 5 minutes after 6:20 am the traffic doubles.
Old 11-10-17, 03:11 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
New commute isn't terrible. 27 miles, was 35 minutes door to door this morning. Would be faster if there wasn't road construction on the way out there. Lots of very rural country roads. Places that made me wish I had a fast car kind of rural.

Apparently a bunch of my new coworkers ride too, so thats a huge plus. Some of them meet up a few miles away from where I live and ride in together during the summer too! Need to investigate and see the showers for when the weather warms up again. It's 26 dead flat miles, but I start at 6.30 so it's dark right now.

I think I'm going to like this new job a lot. A lot more active work. On your feet, solving problems with stuff to do. Seems a lot more laid back than the office though, oddly enough. Negative side being that I can't have my cellphone in the building. But in the long run this may be a benefit, I'm on my phone way too much as it is.
Old 11-10-17, 03:15 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I'm in Thailand with my wife, first time out of the US. Its freaking awesome and I barely have time for facebook, but In trying to actually post all my **** there just cuz. You should go see all the cool photos! Facebook Aaron V McDevitt. Private, so just friend me and lemme know who you are if you feel like seeing some random internet guy having an awesome time lol.

Maybe Ill post pics here some day when I have computer access.
added you. I'd love to see some pics from around the world. First name Scott. (see, this is where I came up with my user name, ttocs. I swear I came up with this in like 3rd grade before fudgy)
Old 11-10-17, 05:59 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
... the diesel Mazda CX5 should be out by then and I've really wanted to drive that car since it got announced like 2 years ago.
I looked it up because of you. Wow. We are diesel only now, German stuff, former French stuff.

In CA they just bumped tax on diesel. That CX5 is a clean machine. I was really impressed.

Although a country with a max speed limit less than a bike can hit on a downhill is not the ideal mfg of fun-to-drive cars - IMO of course.
Old 11-10-17, 06:07 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
She kept using brevity when I think she meant gravity or gravitas.

Also, I currently live 3.3 miles from my office. It's a bit too close to bother riding - also, despite the presence of bike lanes, traffic sucks and would be quite scary on a bike. Most days, it takes me about 20 min. from the minute I stand up at my desk to when I walk into my house.
Well, correct her but keep it short.

I live 15min by bike from my work. It was awesome but now I live 15 min by bike from where my kids live so there are drawbacks.
Old 11-10-17, 06:56 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I've had a range of commutes lately. First job up here was about 90 minutes, 55 miles or so, back roads, not much traffic at all. It was long, but not awful. I changed jobs and it was about an hour to an hour 15, but I worked more hours, so it was a wash or even home a little later.

Now that I moved I'm about 30 minutes or a little less in the morning, 30 to 45 in the evening, and it's much nicer. I've been getting up a touch earlier and I'm home by 530, even working 9 hours. It's nice.
Old 11-10-17, 09:51 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Commuting by bike to work would involve Niles Canyon for me... I'd be dead inside of 6 months I think.
Old 11-10-17, 10:25 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
Commuting by bike to work would involve Niles Canyon for me... I'd be dead inside of 6 months I think.
take the lane and have cameras (and extra insurance)
Old 11-11-17, 08:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
I live about 8 mi from work, a little bit of up and down to get in and out of Mission Valley but its still about 35 minutes of z1. Driving takes a little over 15 min due to all the traffic.
Old 11-11-17, 08:32 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Doge
I looked it up because of you. Wow. We are diesel only now, German stuff, former French stuff.

In CA they just bumped tax on diesel. That CX5 is a clean machine. I was really impressed.

Although a country with a max speed limit less than a bike can hit on a downhill is not the ideal mfg of fun-to-drive cars - IMO of course.
I had two friends with the diesel VW's that got in trouble a Jetta and a Golf. Both were great cars, Fun to drive / ride in.

Speed limits only apply where there is enforcement .

Change of topic.. I went to a pro basketball game for the first time in probably 15 years. With the exit of the sonics from Seattle when I was a kid I never really had any passion for the sport after that. But I'll admit, going to the Jazz vs Heat game last night was pretty fun. Both teams kinda suck though. Jazz didn't hit a single 3 in the 4th quarter that would have kept them in the game. They had the opportunity for the win and they blew it.
Old 11-11-17, 04:09 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
take the lane and have cameras (and extra insurance)
the driver would just say I either swerved in front of them or didn't see me... Hell I pass by the white bike almost daily and frankly remember the day that guy got hit. (driver said the sun was in her eyes) the next day I made a point to drive the road at the sametime in the morning and sure enough... no sun where this guy was killed. Whomever did the accident report is a POS.
Old 11-12-17, 01:06 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I had two friends with the diesel VW's that got in trouble a Jetta and a Golf. Both were great cars, Fun to drive / ride in.

Speed limits only apply where there is enforcement .

Change of topic.. I went to a pro basketball game for the first time in probably 15 years. With the exit of the sonics from Seattle when I was a kid I never really had any passion for the sport after that. But I'll admit, going to the Jazz vs Heat game last night was pretty fun. Both teams kinda suck though. Jazz didn't hit a single 3 in the 4th quarter that would have kept them in the game. They had the opportunity for the win and they blew it.
My wife travels around the US for work and gets to go to NBA games all the time, so jealous. Jazz and Heat are both decent teams, but their play style isn't very entertaining.

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I commute on a road like that, its 2 miles sharing a lane with warehouse employees driving fast and furious cars going 50-100. The other roads that cross the river are worse. I've had close calls and its the only road that I've ridden on the sidewalk (no one uses it).

I have a rear death cam now just in case.
Old 11-13-17, 07:03 AM
Flatballer
No matches

How long would you guys wait to see a doctor about knee pain? I twisted my left knee about a week and a half ago in a fall. At first it didn't seem that bad, but after a few days it started getting worse. Working the clutch on my car really bothers it. I'm mostly okay if I keep it straight when walking and don't try to walk normal, and definitely don't try to twist at all or anything.

If I touch the outside of my knee I can tell exactly where it hurts, it's pretty painful to the touch.

I'm not sure if it's worth seeing someone, or if I should just buy a better brace (I've got one with some ribbing support on the sides, but it's not one of the metal ones) and try to keep resting it as much as possible (and using the clutch with my right foot as much as I can).
Old 11-13-17, 07:27 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
How long would you guys wait to see a doctor about knee pain?
An hour after I fell.
Old 11-13-17, 07:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I generally give injuries like that a few days to see whether they are improving.

If the swelling and pain is not going away within a couple of days, I go see the doc. The fact that you cannot work the clutch easily is concerning. When I tore my patella, I couldn't work a clutch - that's one of the main reasons I drive an automatic now.

Buying a brace and trying to self medicate beyond rest, ice and maybe a couple asprin/ibuprofen is probably not a good strategy.
Old 11-13-17, 10:04 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Alright, I think you're probably both right. It's been long enough, and it's not improving, but maybe getting worse. Got an appointment with an ortho place tomorrow.

Not sure what I'll do about my car if the clutch is going to be an issue with recovery.
Old 11-14-17, 09:25 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Well, I feel better already. Not sprained LCL even. Just some fluid and swelling from when I fell and I guess hit it and twisted it some, but mostly the hit I guess. The fluid and swelling are causing the tendinitis and that's causing the weakness and pain. A little PT and an NSAID and I should be good as new (which wasn't great, but that's okay). PT doesn't start for 2 weeks though (their first appointment) so I'm going to look online and see what I can do myself at home.
Old 11-14-17, 04:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
This place is so quiet.
Old 11-14-17, 04:45 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
This place is so quiet.
it's the doldrums of the off season. also I'm so tired I can barely even make it to work these days
Old 11-14-17, 05:38 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I did day 1 on headspace. I liked it, and then my phone rang for the first time all day about 4/5 of the way in. >.<

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.