Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 09:18 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Being eight months out of having an honest day job I can say the answer is “never.”
Old 11-27-17, 09:46 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Concur.
Old 11-27-17, 10:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Good to know.
Old 11-27-17, 11:01 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I took 6 months off work this year - it was great.
Old 11-27-17, 11:38 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
You guys are doing me no favors on a Monday.
Old 11-27-17, 11:59 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Not to rub it in, but I can't imagine working a full time office job while also training properly and being a good partner. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Serious props to any of you that pull it off!
Old 11-27-17, 12:28 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Not to rub it in, but I can't imagine working a full time office job while also training properly and being a good partner. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Serious props to any of you that pull it off!
Yeah, that's why I don't actually ride bikes anymore. Even when I hope to get back into it, I dream of like, 6 or 7 hours a week on the high end.
Old 11-27-17, 02:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Haven't figured it out yet. Still working on it.
Old 11-27-17, 03:13 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My wife travels about 30 weeks out of the year, so there's that.
Old 11-27-17, 07:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Concur.
+3

I didn't work for 4.5 years, taking care of Junior and my dad. I also had a "cush" job for a while, in the hardware store. And before that my job, although long hours, allowed me to work the Spring Series basically while I was working.

Now, with no real access to the internet, no real leeway on schedule (like hardware store), with the extra responsibility of Junior (and it's just as much me wanting to spend time with him as it is "being responsible"), I have zero time to blog, etc. I consider it "not bad" if I ride once a week.

With all that there are all these projects that I would want to do if I wasn't working.

I told the Missus that if I came into a ton of money I'd quit working. She said she'd go nuts not working. Me? I'd be totally psyched.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-28-17, 01:21 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
There are enough hours in the day for all that though - I can attest.

An understanding partner helps, for sure, but that's the case no matter what.

my race videos
Old 11-28-17, 07:55 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by mattm

Having a supportive partner helps, but there are other variables to consider too. I know if I had to commute an hour each way, that would certainly affect my training and relationship time. And if I had kids, well, I don't know how I'd fit kid time in too. Fortunately, I have a short commute and only a dog.
Old 11-28-17, 08:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

They let everyone go early last week on Wednesday, and since I had already worked a decent number of hours, and I average 45 hours or so in a normal week, and I get in early anyway (they were letting people leave at 2:30, but some people get in at 10, and I get in at 7:30, doesn't exactly seem fair, but the early people are always getting screwed, so nothing new there) my boss told me to just work late Tuesday and take Wednesday off and not worry about it.

So I did that. This morning he comes and tells me that, actually, I need to take a vacation day for that. So I worked late Tuesday for no reason, and lost 8 hours of vacation when I could've come in for 4 hours in the morning and called it good.

First world problems I know, complaining about my salary engineering position, but still really frustrating.
Old 11-28-17, 08:12 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by mattm

Impressive! I have teammates that pull it off too, I just know that for me it would be unsustainable; I would wind up half-assing everything.
Old 11-28-17, 01:33 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Having a supportive partner helps, but there are other variables to consider too. I know if I had to commute an hour each way, that would certainly affect my training and relationship time. And if I had kids, well, I don't know how I'd fit kid time in too. Fortunately, I have a short commute and only a dog.
Same.

Short commute + cats ftw. I dunno about that dog business.. =]

my race videos
Old 11-28-17, 03:29 PM
topflightpro

Fact: Dogs are better than Cats.
Old 11-28-17, 03:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Dogs are better than cats.

On the flip side, they're more work, so you get back what you put in I suppose.
Old 11-28-17, 04:11 PM
furiousferret

The new asthma medication I've been taking has been giving me chest pains. Asthma is completely gone, but I can't sleep with anxiety and I get this weird gushing feel in my chest every few hours. The company says its perfectly fine, however another site says 1 in 700 have heart attacks. Since I'm active and go to MaxHR a few times a week, I'm probably more at risk.

So that's off the table, as bad as the asthma attacks are I'd take them over a heart attack.

Ultimately, this is just a winter issue and something I just have to deal with in the short term (hopefully); the asthma is there in the summer but its more of an inconvenience.
Old 11-28-17, 04:42 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk
Dogs are better than cats.

On the flip side, they're more work, so you get back what you put in I suppose.

She showed up on our in laws doorstep, and they were going to take her to the pound (which she'd get put down since she's a pit bull) so we took her in. I was leery of owning a pit but she's harmless.

Probably the smartest dog we've owned too; she gets pillows from all over the house, piles them up to sleep on. Meanwhile, 14 years and our dalmation still attacks its own tail.
Old 11-28-17, 05:44 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Fact: Dogs are better than Cats.
Indeed.

Plus dogs aren't decimating the songbird population.
Old 11-28-17, 06:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Flatballer
They let everyone go early last week on Wednesday, and since I had already worked a decent number of hours, and I average 45 hours or so in a normal week, and I get in early anyway (they were letting people leave at 2:30, but some people get in at 10, and I get in at 7:30, doesn't exactly seem fair, but the early people are always getting screwed, so nothing new there) my boss told me to just work late Tuesday and take Wednesday off and not worry about it.

So I did that. This morning he comes and tells me that, actually, I need to take a vacation day for that. So I worked late Tuesday for no reason, and lost 8 hours of vacation when I could've come in for 4 hours in the morning and called it good.

First world problems I know, complaining about my salary engineering position, but still really frustrating.
Salary aside... that's not right. I think we're all white collar here, or "white coat" as my dad likes to put it for us STEM types

Your boss either misled you or was misinformed himself when he told you to "not worry about it". I would explain to him that you misunderstood him when he said to "not worry about it", and that working late and using PTO are things that are important to you, and worth worrying about. If you knew the outcome of the situation was working late AND using PTO, you probably would have proceeded differently.

If you guys have a good relationship than it should be a fairly simple conversation. If not, then good luck, or maybe don't bring it up? For reference I'm also salaried, exempt and work a similar amount that you do, and that would have pissed me off. Not that I really take that much PTO, but still, wtf... I also have a great relationship w my manager and never hesitate to bring this kind of stuff up.

Last edited by TMonk; 11-28-17 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 07:26 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TMonk
Salary aside... that's not right. I think we're all white collar here, or "white coat" as my dad likes to put it for us STEM types

Your boss either misled you or was misinformed himself when he told you to "not worry about it". I would explain to him that you misunderstood him when he said to "not worry about it", and that working late and using PTO are things that are important to you, and worth worrying about. If you knew the outcome of the situation was working late AND using PTO, you probably would have proceeded differently.

If you guys have a good relationship than it should be a fairly simple conversation. If not, then good luck, or maybe don't bring it up? For reference I'm also salaried, exempt and work a similar amount that you do, and that would have pissed me off. Not that I really take that much PTO, but still, wtf... I also have a great relationship w my manager and never hesitate to bring this kind of stuff up.
Yeah, we don't have the best relationship, mostly because I'm at the same title as him, but with my license, so we're really more equal or I'm above him in engineering terms. I'll be out from under him whenever I ask the branch manager to do it (to where I was originally supposed to be all along when hired) so I'm not going to worry about it. I think he got overruled probably. I asked him yesterday morning where to charge that time, and he gave me a project, so we were clearly on the same page at that point. My only concern is if the person doing the overruling got the full story or thinks I was trying to get away with something. They also act like they're doing me a favor when they give comp time for working Saturday night at a customer site when I already worked a full week. There's a reason people work there for a bit to get it on the resume and then the good ones bounce. I was planning 6 years, but I might not make it at this rate.

Sorry that got long, I'm rambling and venting.
Old 11-28-17, 08:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Sounds like a "grin and bear it" type situation. You can clearly see the light at the end of the tunnel and the bigger picture, so probably not worth fussing about. Maybe by the time you're done there you can write a book on workplace politics
Old 11-28-17, 10:03 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just want to say that where I work as a salaried, exempt employee anything under 4 hours can be unreported PTO. So ****ing nice now that I have a boss that let's me use it.
Old 11-29-17, 05:40 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I just want to say that where I work as a salaried, exempt employee anything under 4 hours can be unreported PTO. So ****ing nice now that I have a boss that let's me use it.
That's how my previous job was. Make it somewhere close to half a day and you were fine. And if you ended up with 33 hours for the week, that was fine if you got your work done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.