Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Using power meter for races

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 10:41 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts

Was curious to see who uses a power meter for races and, specifically how you use power when racing CX. I picked up a new cx bike over the weekend (I used a cheap hybrid I had built up to a poor mans cross bike), and I would be able to use my powertap wheel with the new bike (it has a velocity a23 rim so it fits the 33mm tire just fine). Unfortunately, I didn't have an 11 speed compatible chain whip to swap the cassette to my powertap, so at this point I'll probably just pick up a new cassette to have 2 usable wheels.

Anyhow, to my question(s). If you use power do you use it at any point of the race to guide your effort? I know it's hard to focus much on a computer due to the demands of cross. Or do you like it more for after the fact analysis?
Old 11-06-17, 11:24 AM
HOWSER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Was curious to see who uses a power meter for races ...
I use PM's for training, not racing (TT's are a different story). If you're able to read your PM reading on your head unit during a CX race you're not riding hard enough.
Old 11-06-17, 11:44 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Indeed,with all the technical stuff I'm rarely looking down (I do wear a HR monitor but it's basically pegged at 165-175). But there are some portions of courses where it's a longer uphill or something where I feel like I'm underselling myself. Regardless of actually using it during a race, I'm very curious to see what my average watts are, as I should be able to avg 240 (I do when I'm at home on the trainer for similar amounts of time, ftp of 260ish). Of course, none of this changes what I actually need to work on, the repeated short hard efforts.
Old 11-06-17, 10:02 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Every course and every race is different.. taking numbers from one race won't be much help to the next one. Having an idea by feel is useful

I use my roadie-ness to hammer flat and uphill sections and use the twisty sections to get my HR back down and ready for the next section.

Pre ride is important to figure out where those parts are and figure out where you can make time.
Old 11-07-17, 11:07 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Every course and every race is different.. taking numbers from one race won't be much help to the next one. Having an idea by feel is useful

I use my roadie-ness to hammer flat and uphill sections and use the twisty sections to get my HR back down and ready for the next section.

Pre ride is important to figure out where those parts are and figure out where you can make time.
While I 100% agree with getting a feel of what works, for me, it was helpful to use a PM to get there.

More than holding a ‘good’ number, it helps me back off at the beginning of a race and not go too hard. I have it set for instantaneous wattage so when I am powering down a straight I can keep it in reason, when I start seeing 450W consistently in the first couple laps I know I need to back off and be a bit more reasonable with my matches, I rarely look at it though.

Post race data, I focus on trying to creep up NP and maintain it over the course of the race. No sense in having a huge sprint off the line, 800W out of each corner to fall flat on your face in between (which I see a lot) and fall off at the end of the race. A powermeter helps me pace and helps me focus on economy. I break the race into 3rds and see what my NP power is, usually looks something like:

First 3rd = 335 NP
Second 3rd = 315 NP
Last 3rd = 305 NP

Try to get those 3 closer, and drive the average (total NP) up – that’s it.

My NP in a cross race much lower than my FTP, it’s getting closer, but I got a lot of work to do, it’s about 83% of on average. Not that I compare with the pros in total wattage (I don’t) but it’s interesting to compare how high they can get their NP in a cross race, seems like it’s probably close to their FTP which doesn’t come easy unless you are pedaling HARD on all the straights then coasting at 0 W, aint’ no soft pedalin’ in cross…..

With that said – I have an old Stages PM I use just because I have it, I didn’t buy one for cross and wouldn’t.
Old 11-07-17, 11:14 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I could see looking at numbers after the race and training vo2 max and 10s power, but if you're thinking you're going to look down during a race and gauge your effort, like someone already said, you're not going hard enough. It's ramming speed, damn the torpedoes, all-out sprint, the whole time. Don't need a PM to tell me my chest and legs are exploding and I have 3 laps to go...
Old 11-07-17, 12:26 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
While I wish I had my sh*t together as much as @nickw, I'm more along the lines of @superdex.

I'm just trying not to puke the whole time.
Old 11-07-17, 12:39 PM
nickw

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
I could see looking at numbers after the race and training vo2 max and 10s power, but if you're thinking you're going to look down during a race and gauge your effort, like someone already said, you're not going hard enough. It's ramming speed, damn the torpedoes, all-out sprint, the whole time. Don't need a PM to tell me my chest and legs are exploding and I have 3 laps to go...
Completely disagree. It’s very important to pace yourself in a cross race. A good pacing job is going to equate to a much faster race vs your strategy. Going all in is going to crater you in no time and is a poor idea. Self-restraint is difficult but it needs to be a priority (which is where a PowerMeter can help).
Old 11-07-17, 02:04 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
It’s very important to pace yourself in a cross race.
--says someone who probably doesn't take hand-ups and has a LOT more fitness than most of us cat5 weekend warriors who are just happy to put a couple races on the calendar and have the family come out and heckle....
Old 11-07-17, 04:07 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
--says someone who probably doesn't take hand-ups and has a LOT more fitness than most of us cat5 weekend warriors who are just happy to put a couple races on the calendar and have the family come out and heckle....
The wekend warrior still needs to pace how many beers they down.
Old 11-07-17, 07:16 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I use my PM on the road and for TT/Tri when I can look at the screen. I have a pretty good idea if i'm going to blow up. I disagree on going out too hard.. a lot of CX is about positioning, gaining time when you can and staying out of crashes/bottlenecks. If you can smash it the first lap and get out of all of that mess the better off you will be.

Anyway, if it helps you get better then good. I have to improve my tight left hand turns i'm good at dabbing with my right foot on right hand turns if needed but sketch out on lefts..
Old 11-07-17, 09:30 PM
Carcosa

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
I use my PM on the road and for TT/Tri when I can look at the screen. I have a pretty good idea if i'm going to blow up. I disagree on going out too hard.. a lot of CX is about positioning, gaining time when you can and staying out of crashes/bottlenecks. If you can smash it the first lap and get out of all of that mess the better off you will be.
Totally agree when it comes to the lower CATs. Up in 1/2 it does not seem to matter as much. Pacing seems way more important than a super fast start.

Or you race SSCX like I do and you the fast start helps but only gets you to the back of the 4/5 race quicker and the bottlenecks start even worse.
Old 11-07-17, 10:35 PM
radripperaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my PM for training and I also use it to analyze my race afterwards. Each course being different and people attacking at different parts in different ways you really cant gauge using a power meter. Whatever it takes to go up a hill, thats what you have to give to get up that hill. Also the power meter cant tell you the whole story anyway, since it doesnt know what you did to get up steps or run across barriers. Heart rate is a better indicator for off the bike work. since the races are so short I find that I can gauge my effort by feel pretty well. I usually like to give it a pretty good first 3 mins then settle into a steady but strong pace I know I can carry for 45 minutes to an hour depending on how long my race is. I also try to follow moves that I feel are doable. Every once in a while some guy does a move and either he is going to blow up or I had no chance of sticking with him anyway, so it was best to do my own thing.
Old 11-15-17, 04:03 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
Completely disagree. It’s very important to pace yourself in a cross race. A good pacing job is going to equate to a much faster race vs your strategy. Going all in is going to crater you in no time and is a poor idea. Self-restraint is difficult but it needs to be a priority (which is where a PowerMeter can help).
I'm with you.

I'm using a HR monitor, but it is useful for pacing myself, not burning out on the first lap, looking for places where I can relax. For instance, I'm better of tucking on a downhill than I am trying to blast down as max speed, just to slam on the brakes at the bottom and turn...

If I'm going to peg it, I want it to be for a good reason.