Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Venting: 20 miles Round Trip

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 07:27 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

Well, just in time for autumn/winter, my commute will change to a 20 mile loop every day. 7.5 miles in, 12.5 miles back home. I'm doing this to accommodate the darker evenings up here in the northeast.

There's a highway in the way of the commute. In the mornings, I think I'm safe crossing through the interchange because of the morning daylight and because there's a light. But in the evenings, I think I'm better off biking a few extra miles so that I can cross the bridge over the highway on the ride back home.

What do people think?

We got a big rain storm here, luckily it was Saturday and I wasn't biking, and luckily we didn't get the snow.

Sure will be plenty of exercise!
Old 10-28-18, 07:57 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
At dusk, I worry about riding into the sun. It's very hard for drivers to see with the glare in their eyes. I feel safer when it's dark. I have very bright lights!

Are you crossing a highway on-ramp? That's tricky. You may need to stop and look for a gap in traffic. But maybe the long route is better.

If the sun is already set, or it's behind you, get lit up.
A small front blinky
A front main light, steady
A reflective vest
Reflective ankle wraps.
Two tail lights, one on your helmet.
Old 10-28-18, 12:22 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Five extra miles is a long way out of the way. That could take an extra 20-30 minutes. Doesn't seem like much for a single trip, but multiply that by 5 per week and that's a lot of hours lost...unless you want the extra exercise. I used to take some extra miles in the morning commute as well, sometimes as much as 10-20 km more, but that got old. Nowadays I just take the shortest route possible, and I'll hop on the sidewalk if I feel it's necessary. Is there a sidewalk or shoulder that you can use?
Old 10-28-18, 01:33 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Five extra miles is a long way out of the way. Maybe you can re-examine your map, and scout the area for shortcuts (or hidden paths)? And, leave work earlier?
Old 10-28-18, 05:06 PM
parkbrav

Well, I researched this all afternoon, if I take two buses and walk 1 mile I can get to work and leave the bike at home. Phew. I wanted to come clean with everyone that I might be taking a break from cycling to work for a few weeks.
Old 10-29-18, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If you're taking the bus this may be OBE, but...

Is there a pedestrian walk light at the highway intersection you're worried about?
Old 10-29-18, 01:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I'd rather have a shorter ride home at the end of the day. have you given it a test try on a Sunday?
Old 11-02-18, 07:09 PM
parkbrav

Well, just to follow up, I am biking 10 miles round trip. I bike 5 miles to the bus stop, load the bike onto the bus and let the bus pretty much do the rest. Thank god for small favors like a city bus going in my direction. I am looking at alternative routes, however, because I still have to cross that darned highway interchange. Good suggestions, thank you.

There is a 12.5 mile end around, I just don't know it's in me, that's a lot of biking in the dark
Old 11-03-18, 07:25 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Well, just to follow up, I am biking 10 miles round trip. I bike 5 miles to the bus stop, load the bike onto the bus and let the bus pretty much do the rest.
Does that work better than the two-bus option you mentioned? I suppose it saves you the time of making a connection.
Old 11-03-18, 08:56 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Does that work better than the two-bus option you mentioned? I suppose it saves you the time of making a connection.
Exactly. Thanks for following up. I could take the first bus to the second bus and then walk 1 mile, or I could just bike to the bus, take the bike with me onto the bike rack, and bike the 1 mile to work. Well, no worries about the time, I could sneak in the exercise. I suppose if the "fur begins the fly" I could take the double bus option