Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava Million Mile Challenge (Free trail to Premium)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 10:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts

You can get a free trial of Strava Premium if you join the Red Bull Million Mile Challenge for July. You have to get a can of Red Bull but for a few bucks to get the code as well but you can try premium if you have ever wanted to try it. I am going to give it a try just for the heck of it.
Old 06-23-18, 11:23 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sadly,

"To enter the Promotion you must be a resident of mainland UK (excluding Northern Ireland and Channel Islands) and over the age of 18."

If you try to get to the challenge page from a non-UK ISP, it just reroutes you to the main challenges page.

...unless they're doing more than one million mile challenge in July. But I doubt it.
Old 06-23-18, 11:43 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Sadly,

"To enter the Promotion you must be a resident of mainland UK (excluding Northern Ireland and Channel Islands) and over the age of 18."

If you try to get to the challenge page from a non-UK ISP, it just reroutes you to the main challenges page.

...unless they're doing more than one million mile challenge in July. But I doubt it.
well damn! I might try to see if I can get a free month still.
Old 06-23-18, 11:48 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

You're not the only one bummed-- there are quite a few unpleasant comments on the challenge page. I mean, you can't even participate in Ireland. So England and Scotland only. Why even bother? Sure, there are plenty of "North America only" challenges, but that's like 580 million people. England and Scotland is 56 million.
Old 06-23-18, 01:44 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Strava keeps offering me a free trial (no need to do a challenge or spend money on a crap drink). See if this link works for you:

https://www.strava.com/try-premium/2018-web-feed-1st-30
Old 06-23-18, 02:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Strava keeps offering me a free trial (no need to do a challenge or spend money on a crap drink). See if this link works for you:

Yeah, they offer me a free trial every time I look at the silly app.
Old 06-23-18, 09:03 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Except you still have to give them your c card for the trial. I like the Red Bull deal because I only needed a promo code. I guess I will just continue to just use basic Strava. In the end I would not have paid for it anyways. Would not tell me anything I couldn’t already learn with my pm,hr,and other sensors I guess.

I just really wanted to try the feature that tells you when a segment is starting and finish. Though that would be a fun feature.
Old 06-23-18, 10:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I pay for my Strava Premium annually, to the tune of $59. In the less-than-grand scheme of things, that is a pittance. I've spent more on a pair of bottle cages than a year of Strava. I probably own 5 years worth of Strava in just socks. The features are worth 5 bucks a month to me. I don't even think twice about paying it.
Old 06-24-18, 01:30 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I pay for my Strava Premium annually, to the tune of $59. In the less-than-grand scheme of things, that is a pittance. I've spent more on a pair of bottle cages than a year of Strava. I probably own 5 years worth of Strava in just socks. The features are worth 5 bucks a month to me. I don't even think twice about paying it.

yes I agree 60 bones is nothing in a years time, just don’t ‘need it’
Old 06-24-18, 07:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I have no need for Strava's paid features but pay for Training Peaks.
Old 06-24-18, 08:47 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
what do you get for $60?

I did a trial once all I noticed was 'suffer score' and trophy stuff. i refused the trial a second and third time.

to me RidewithGPS has a much better pick a segment on the fly look at my speed/cadence/hr graph for the segment then deselect it. and look at another specific area of my ride. (which is on free version)
If I was to pay $60 a year it will be to RidewithGPS for the advanced cue warnings on routes, rather than Garmin always being an intersection too damn slow. Or most often even worse than that slow on the cues.
Old 06-24-18, 09:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

If you're tracking power and heart rate, you really need Premium to get the most of it, or pay for another service like Training Peaks. I don't like the layout of Training Peaks, so I stick to Strava. Premium combined with the Stravistix plug-in gives me more data than I actually know what to do with. Personalized Heat Maps are also pretty cool. It's definitely not a "need" item. But I don't need most of this stuff. I still want it, though.
Old 06-24-18, 10:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

If you're tracking power and heart rate, you really need Premium to get the most of it, or pay for another service like Training Peaks. I don't like the layout of Training Peaks, so I stick to Strava. Premium combined with the Stravistix plug-in gives me more data than I actually know what to do with. Personalized Heat Maps are also pretty cool. It's definitely not a "need" item. But I don't need most of this stuff. I still want it, though.
Strava really isn't a training tool though.

It doesn't come close to Training Peaks in terms of creating and following a structured and measurable athletic training program. Neither does Training Peaks have any social features.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that like tools, they have two different purposes altogether. If one is doing structured training then Strava just isn't the correct tool.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-24-18 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 11:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Strava is a social app with a fairly decent set of training and analysis tools. Training Peaks is for people who hire a coach. I can get plenty of data out of Strava, which also has training plans, though I have little desire to participate in them (which I learned by trying it a few times.) I use the fitness tools more as a "make sure you don't overdo it and wreck yourself for six months," rather than "I want to up my FTP before next race season."

Old 06-24-18, 11:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
A Million miles?

A group or just you?

Just you is like trying to score enough Pepsi Points to get the Harrier Jump Jet for free...remember that?
Old 06-25-18, 07:34 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
A Million miles?

A group or just you?

Just you is like trying to score enough Pepsi Points to get the Harrier Jump Jet for free...remember that?
Yes, some kid actually did collect enough points, though he didn't get the jet, obviously.

Personally, the basic Strava does far more than I need it to, which is to just keep track of how many miles I ride.
Old 06-25-18, 09:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
what do you get for $60?

If I was to pay $60 a year it will be to RidewithGPS for the advanced cue warnings on routes, rather than Garmin always being an intersection too damn slow. Or most often even worse than that slow on the cues.
In reverse order, I've had better luck with the Garmin built-in turn cues than RWGPS; the latter beeps about the middle of the intersection.

Strava has good live tracking, better than RWGPS. I use it to keep my wife off my back.
Old 06-25-18, 09:24 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i do the free trial when they offer it. I don't get much out of it. You can set it to downgrade automatically.
Old 06-25-18, 09:54 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Training Peaks is for people who hire a coach.
Perhaps I'm wrong about Strava and training plans then and if so I stand corrected.

Training Peaks certainly does make coach access very easy but the idea that it it is only for people who hire a coach is a misconception. It can easily be used very effectively without a coach. I have done so, as have countless others.

Do the fitness, fatigue and form numbers in the screen shot come from Strava or a third party add on? Just curious. I'd be very impressed if they come from Strava premium. My hat would be off to them.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-25-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 03:28 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by pdlamb
In reverse order, I've had better luck with the Garmin built-in turn cues than RWGPS; the latter beeps about the middle of the intersection.

Strava has good live tracking, better than RWGPS. I use it to keep my wife off my back.
better than the "paid for" advanced cues?

I will agree the free version of RWGPS cues are no better than Garmin's. The Paid RWGPS version of advanced cues are a godsend though.
Old 06-25-18, 03:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I don't see this million mile challenge showing up.

However, Strava used to have a free month in the Spring, but I think it is all the time now.

Just sign up for your free month.
Old 06-26-18, 08:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
better than the "paid for" advanced cues?

I will agree the free version of RWGPS cues are no better than Garmin's. The Paid RWGPS version of advanced cues are a godsend though.
I haven't seen any difference between the paid and the free versions on routes I create.

I recall some routes having significantly better cueing; maybe the people who developed those routes knew the tricks better than I do.
Old 06-26-18, 11:45 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I haven't seen any difference between the paid and the free versions on routes I create.

I recall some routes having significantly better cueing; maybe the people who developed those routes knew the tricks better than I do.
on the Paid RWGPS route making cues are not automatically advanced. they have to be set to be that way as an option.

I never paid to find out..... My last route making went like this

looks at route online, scribbles Left /right and road names on paper with pencil. Paper in zip lock with my tracphone, read 3 in advance while riding and was perfect! ( might not work in states like PA that has missing road name signs 50% of the time.) LOL

Last edited by Metieval; 06-26-18 at 11:49 AM.