Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for bicycle advice for myself and wife

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 08:27 PM
isuhunter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are wanting to try to get in shape and also inlcude our children. 3.5 yr old and a 1 week old baby at the moment. I'm 6'1" and she is 5' 7". We are both lean but have lost all of our stamina, haha.

I grew up biking with my family and always had a love for GT and Bianchi bikes. I have a schwinn mountain bike now that is about 3" to small but it was free. I road mountain bikes with slick tires and after a couple RAGBRAI's I learned that bikes are designed for certain purposes. Which is exactly what leads me to this site. I haven't ridden in 15 years and we want to make a smart investment.

We live in Iowa and had many different options for LBS.

Here are the environments we plan to ride - black top trails, limestone trails, pea gravel/seal coated roads, and concrete in town and maybe another RAGBRAI. We have a burley we pull our oldest with currently. I'd like to get something that is universal but yet would be influenced by a road bike. My wife I see primarily in a comfortable hybrid that we could put a tag along with.

Curious to hear what your suggestions are on your favorite brands. Sure seems like TREK is the most popular bike now days.

Last edited by isuhunter; 07-02-17 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 09:06 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, the Trek FX series has a lot of happy customers, but the other manufacturers make excellent hybrids as well.

I would suggest that although you say you want a "comfortable hybrid," you probably don't want what is considered a "comfort" hybrid; rather, you probably want a "fitness" hybrid (like the Trek FX series). Fitness hybrids tend to be lighter and faster. They don't have suspension systems or springy seats, etc.

For pretty much all the fitness hybrid lines, as you go up the line in price you get a better frame and better components. The frames tend to migrate from steel to aluminum to aluminum with carbon forks to full carbon. The group sets (shifters, brakes, etc.) migrate up the Shimano or SRAM line.

Typically, the very top of the line is some version of a "flat-bar road bike." In other words, it will have a road bike frame and perhaps even a road (rather than mt. bike) group set. Unless you're actually looking for a road bike with flat handlebars, you should be fine with the models below that.

Good hunting!
Old 07-02-17, 09:50 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by isuhunter
My wife and I are wanting to try to get in shape and also inlcude our children. 3.5 yr old and a 1 week old baby at the moment. I'm 6'1" and she is 5' 7". We are both lean but have lost all of our stamina, haha.

I grew up biking with my family and always had a love for GT and Bianchi bikes. I have a schwinn mountain bike now that is about 3" to small but it was free. I road mountain bikes with slick tires and after a couple RAGBRAI's I learned that bikes are designed for certain purposes. Which is exactly what leads me to this site. I haven't ridden in 15 years and we want to make a smart investment.

We live in Iowa and had many different options for LBS.

Here are the environments we plan to ride - black top trails, limestone trails, pea gravel/seal coated roads, and concrete in town and maybe another RAGBRAI. We have a burley we pull our oldest with currently. I'd like to get something that is universal but yet would be influenced by a road bike. My wife I see primarily in a comfortable hybrid that we could put a tag along with.

Curious to hear what your suggestions are on your favorite brands. Sure seems like TREK is the most popular bike now days.
Brands don't really matter all that much, since most bikes these days are made in the same factories in Taiwan and China. The main thing is, find a bike shop you like and work with them. For an all rounder, there are different approaches which might work. That said, IMO, Trek is a solid but boring choice. Plenty of equally good, or better options out there that aren't exactly the same as what everyone else is riding.

First, you need to set a budget. The range of bikes you might get depends a lot on whether your total budget for two bikes plus accessories is $1,000, $2,000, or $3,000. And, are you starting from scratch or do you still own accessories from 15 years ago?

You should decide, drop bars or not right away as switching from flat bar to drop bar once you make a purchase is expensive and fiddly.

Since you specifically mentioned gravel, I would suggest focusing on the new breed of gravel/Adventure bikes. Every brand these days seems to market one. They include the Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Giant AnyRoad, Salsa Vaya, Surly Straggler, Fairdale Weekender Drop, or Specialized Sequoia.

Last edited by MRT2; 07-02-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 10:11 PM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were riding that terrain I'd go for either a gravel bike or an endurance road bike. But that's my preference.
Old 07-03-17, 06:20 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Giant has a good line of bikes for your purpose--the xxxRoad series:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anyroad-1
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-slr-1
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1-2016

Progressively less road-like as you move down that list.

Giant is a huge bike company. Great value for the money.
Old 07-03-17, 09:27 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If I was picking a 'one bike to do it all' I'd go with one of the 'gravel' bikes.
Drop bars, 700c wheels, but with 35mm-42mm tires, 3x9/3x10 drive train for a wide range of gearing, disk brakes, too depending on the budget.

Since you will be pulling a trailer, go with an aluminum frame, and

Throw a leg over a bunch of them, as there is a range of frame shapes between the different brands. Some of them fit like a touring/endurance road bike, some fit like a 'classic' MTB.
Doing a century? spoon on some 25-28mm slicks and have at it.
Old 07-03-17, 06:04 PM
isuhunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are cyclocross and "gravel" bikes the same?
Old 07-03-17, 06:27 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
You sound like you have it figured out. I think you need to test ride some to see what you like.

For the different road conditions you want a bike that will accept wide tires, 32-35mm at least.
Old 07-03-17, 08:07 PM
Modenaro

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try this one 1st. :O)
Then move up if she gets super serious. Solid bike at a great price.
My 30 yr old daughter loves the thing.
Save up to 60% off new Flat Bar Road Bikes - Gravity Swift8 Shimano Nexus 8spd Internal Hybrid V Brake Super Hybrid Bikes | Save up to 60% off new bikes
Old 07-03-17, 09:13 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Brands don't really matter all that much, since most bikes these days are made in the same factories in Taiwan and China. The main thing is, find a bike shop you like and work with them. For an all rounder, there are different approaches which might work.
That would be my advice too: "First, shop for a bike shop."
Old 07-04-17, 07:15 AM
MRT2

No
Old 07-04-17, 07:35 AM
mcours2006

They share some similarities--disc brakes, wider tire clearance than your road bike. Gravel bikes may have more relaxed geometry vs the racy in a cx bike. Gravel bikes likely allow for even wider tires than cx. CX might have lower gearing, but this isn't a rule. Gearing up front could be 1x, 46/36, or even compact 50/34.
Old 07-04-17, 08:00 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Gravel vs cyclocross probably depends a bit on the brand and whether they've bothered to produce a 'gravel' bike. I wouldn't get too wound up about descriptions or classifications - in the 'good old days', we all rode roadies and they did everything. Just find a bike that suits you.
Old 07-05-17, 12:45 PM
isuhunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That would be my advice too: "First, shop for a bike shop."
Good idea. There are a few locally here. Thoughts on "big box" stores with their bike departments?
I have a Scheels and a Dicks nearby.
Old 07-05-17, 02:55 PM
mcours2006

Good idea. There are a few locally here. Thoughts on "big box" stores with their bike departments?
I have a Scheels and a Dicks nearby.
You mean something like this? https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ggrssrprxxxprf

It's not a bad bike, but it is an MTB. It's unlikely you'll find something suitable for your needs at the box stores.
Old 07-08-17, 03:33 PM
isuhunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've been looking through the forums pretty extensively.

I like the trek FX series but then I keep coming back to wanting a a cross bike.

What is the main difference cross vs hybrid? I've seen a lot of posts where guys have taken hybrid frames and made into a cross bike.
Old 07-08-17, 06:24 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Your wife might prefer something more along the lines of a city bike.

City Bikes | LocalMile

Comfortable, easier to ride without special clothes, easier to carry kids and stuff...
Old 07-08-17, 06:31 PM
Boondocksaints

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've been looking through the forums pretty extensively.

I like the trek FX series but then I keep coming back to wanting a a cross bike.

What is the main difference cross vs hybrid? I've seen a lot of posts where guys have taken hybrid frames and made into a cross bike.
If you want to do what you're talking about fast, you want cyclocross. If you want to do it at a relaxed pace, you want some sort of hybrid.

Differences are generally that a CX bike has a tight gear range somewhere between road and mountain bikes, while a hybrid will have a wide range usually spanning most of both. Hybrid will have flat (mtn-style bars) and CX will have dropbars and usually road-style integrated shifters.

Hybrid might have a cheap front suspension fork. CX geometry will be more aggressive. Hybrid will generally be cheaper. CX might not have rack and fender mounts.

Both will probably do what you want, especially if you're willing to have more than one set of tires. Mostly depends how fast you want to go, how comfortable you want to be, and how much you want to spend.

You should first go into a shop and see if you prefer drop bars or flat.
Old 07-09-17, 08:47 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulling two toddlers in a cart is hard work. And when the wind picks up, the cart becomes a parachute.
A heavy parachute.
So whatever you buy, you and your lady will both want to add the bracket attachment to your bikes so you can take turns.
Trek makes some fine bicycles for your stated purpose, but I just couldn't get comfortable on one. Different strokes, I guess.
Make sure you try before you buy and ask if they will set up a cart as well.

I don't know if big box stores will allow you to take bikes out for test rides?
And it has been my experience that there is no care taken in set up or adjustment so figure on spending $75-$100 for a tuneup at a local bike shop in addition to the purchase price.
My GF and I both have Specialized flat bar road bikes. Mine is a Sirrus and hers is a Ruby. They work well for this scenario.
And forget gravel while pulling youngsters. The shrapnel isn't good for them, lol.
Old 07-09-17, 10:21 AM
joneshellen89
i need friends

Bikes: bmx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi handsome

I will like to be friends with you and your wife.

Helen
Old 07-09-17, 09:35 PM
isuhunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today we went shopping and ended up coming home with a Trek FX2 for my wife. Really nice bike!!!

I tried out a Crossrip 1 but it was a 56 and was clearly too small.

I stood over a 60 cm and it was borderline in my crotch. The 58 felt a touch small also. How in your crotch should the bike be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4962.jpg (98.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_4963.jpg (93.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 07-09-17, 10:24 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you're working with your local Trek dealer, they should be able and willing to help you get the proper fit for a Crossfit. Personally, I would take a slightly small frame over a slightly large one, but it depends on overall fit (not just crotch clearance).

Even with a Crossfit 1, they should be willing to help you out with a stem swap or other tweaks to get a good fit.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-17, 05:38 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
How in your crotch should the bike be?
It's irrelevant, and that's from someone who rides a very big framed fixed gear bike (the high bottom bracket raises the top bar even more).
The important measurement is the reach - how far do you have to reach to get to the bars. You can shorten the reach by fitting a shorter neck, but if you go too far, you the bike starts to become twitchy.
Bike designers understand the balance so even if you have short legs and a long torso, you can find a bike to ride.

A high top bar appears scary but the reality is you won't get bitten. The reason for this is that as you dismount, you lean the bike and that effectively lowers the top bar.
Old 06-25-18, 01:55 PM
isuhunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the bike search continues. I didn't come across one that I felt like spending $1000 on. Local bike store wanted to get me into a Salsa Vaya last year, but I wasn't sold on it.
Old 06-25-18, 04:21 PM
MRT2

Well the bike search continues. I didn't come across one that I felt like spending $1000 on. Local bike store wanted to get me into a Salsa Vaya last year, but I wasn't sold on it.
I ride a 2012 Salsa Casseroll and I love it. The Vaya is a bit more rugged, but a very nice bike. I strongly considered the Vaya before going with the Casseroll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.