Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are you guys working on right now to prepare for winter riding?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What are you guys working on right now to prepare for winter riding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 03:27 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Ohhhh! that winter no no no I don’t snow blow no more
Old 08-17-18, 06:44 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is going to be my first winter bike commuting (i live in southern NH). I bought some studded Schwalbe tires (and got some good advice on BikeForums.net on which tires to get). I also got some very warm gloves and some waterproof hiking boots that I want to try during the colder months (I use platform pedals on my commuting bike). I also stuck reflective tape on my bike frame in an effort to increase visibility and bought a brighter rear blinkie light and a new front light. I plan on using some of my ski gear (goggles, helmet, jacket for the really cold months) instead of investing in winter-biking specific gear.

the last thing i have been doing is planning for a modified/alternate route for my winter commute. currently there are two portions of my commute that go on MUP-type of paths, but I anticipate that these will be covered in snow once winter is here. i have made some alternate routes for the winter that avoid these two portions of my current route.
Old 08-17-18, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1
I don’t snow blow no more
ah no, that was a selfie while riding in a blizzard
Old 08-20-18, 03:42 PM
Alexxx1

Bikes: I'm looking for the right one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the same feverish mode to buy stuff I need for this coming winter. Also, when it´s cold, one gets lazy so all the projects are just put on hold. Now that it is warm, I must motivate myself to complete all my projects because I know I just won´t get around to it when the temperature drops well below -10c.
Old 08-27-18, 10:00 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just finished putting together a rescued Trek 7.1FX with spare parts. Last few winters have really wrecked the derailleurs on the old MTB so this build is a bit of a Frankenbike with spare parts: IGH with dirt drop bars!

Trek 7.1FX
Salsa Woodchippers
Road brake levers with interruptors
Nexus7 hub
custom "bar end" gripshift mount
front lowrider rack (much prefer the weight in the front in winter)
​​​​rear rack for those oddbal items to strap to
Old 08-28-18, 08:47 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
love the selfie of you in the blizzard. I bought myself a cheap pair of ski goggles and going to try to bike in more snow this winter.
Old 08-28-18, 10:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
love the selfie of you in the blizzard. I bought myself a cheap pair of ski goggles and going to try to bike in more snow this winter.
I was a fool for not wearing eye protection. I was OK going in 1 direction but coming back. it was right in my eyes. I looked at my goggles & said "nah won't need them, I'll be back to the car before it gets bad, plus I have my safety glasses" lol 1/2 back I tried putting on the safety glasses & I forget why but that just wasn't happening. I think I couldn't see thru them. maybe goggles would have been just as bad. that was a crazy BLAST type storm, meaning everything got BLASTED sideways. I think my eyes hurt for a cpl days after ... but yeah, fun!

only 1/2 that trail gets plowed