Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleated pedals & avoiding wet &/or cold feet

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

planning to search forums but instead of reviving an old thread(s), maybe ppl want to share their favorite cleated pedal/shoe solutions for wet &/or cold feet. meaning toe & shoe covers, rain shoes & winter boots

I just started using cleated pedals (SPD) so even tho I've got rock solid solutions for 1/2 clips on flat pedals, I need to come up with a new plan if I keep the cleated pedals on the bike(s). maybe not on ice, or in the snow, but certainly thru the Fall & Winter when ground conditions & stability aren't sketchy
Old 08-23-18, 04:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
cleated pedals & avoiding wet &/or cold feet

I posted to recent Commuting Forum thread, "Rain Shoes":
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I distinguish "booties" (tight fitting neoprene shoe covers with an open sole for clip-ons) from this wrap-around Goretex "shoe cover," with an open sole secured by elastic straps. I find they provide good rain cover, especially over booties, as well as windscreen.
Besides two layers of thin and thick socks, I use neoprene booties with openings for cleats, and wrap around Goretex shoe covers with open soles (available at Belmont Wheelworks). I might use plastic bags inside the shoes as well.

I have posted about my experience with a similar set-up for platform pedals, using rubber Totes overshoes instead of neoprene booties.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This past Monday (12/30/13) I did my 14 mile commute at about 15°F and tried a new set of foot coverings that IMO that kept my feet significantly warmer than usual. In the past I had bought a pair of neon green shoe covers made by Gore-Tex, for wet riding.

During the winter, I use platform pedals with toeclips, and my usual footwear is thin and thick socks, running shoes and Totes rubber overshoes. I use plastic bags over my running shoes to put on the Totes more easily (see the sequence below).

So with the additional Gore-Tex shoe coverings at 15ºF, I did not perceive cold until about mile 10, and I did not feel cold in the sense of permeating the soft tissues of my foot until about mile 12, but it was tolerable.

At about mile 12 I have a downhill run of several hundred yards that irreversibly drains the heat from my extremities. The next day at 21ºF, I rode without the Goretex, and started feeling cold at about mile 9 and finished significantly colder at my mile 14 destination than the day before.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-23-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 07:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

so maybe, since I've got cold weather solutions for my flat pedals & 1/2 clips, maybe it would be prudent to shelve the cleated pedals until the spring?
Old 08-23-18, 07:55 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I've got a short ride, usually doesn't get below 0F, I wear crew length running socks, which are moisture-wicking. When used for running, they help prevent blisters. When used for biking, they absorb moisture and dry relatively quickly. When your feet are dry they stay warmer. Always a pair of wool socks over that

Last edited by parkbrav; 08-23-18 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 08:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
so maybe, since I've got cold weather solutions for my flat pedals & 1/2 clips, maybe it would be prudent to shelve the cleated pedals until the spring?
My winter riding is entirely on paved and mostly well-tended roads. My original wet and/or icy beater bike was a Mountain Bike with Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires, and platform pedals. Next I bought an aluminum Specialized Diverge with clipless pedals as a smoother-riding beater.

In the Winter it accomodates studded 28C Schwalbe tires.
My studded tires provide stability, and ice is infrequently encountered. I’m well adapted to clipless pedals, so as long as I’m aware of the road surface. I don’t think they are a problem for Winter riding. I prefer clipless to toeclips, despite what a fellow Metro Bostonian says in his signature line
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Real cyclists use toe clips.
Old 08-23-18, 11:00 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I use flat shoes (five ten's which use rubber that's extra grippy on flat pedals with pins).
And thick wool mix socks from DeFeet, I think these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CRML08/

It's worked very well for me. I think Five Ten also sells an insulated version of their shoe as well.

When I used to use clipless I'd use a similar arrangement, thick wool/blend socks, clipless shoe, pull-on overshoe over the shoe to block wind.
Old 08-23-18, 11:52 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I use flat shoes (five ten's which use rubber that's extra grippy on flat pedals with pins)
I've read ppl writing about 5-10s for a while. finally got to hold a pair of cleated 5-10s. wow they are rigid! so you are using the same w/o the cleats? or do they make a flexible sole shoe as well? Are you using the same rigid type shoe, just w/o the cleats?
Old 08-23-18, 11:56 AM
PaulRivers

I've read ppl writing about 5-10s for a while. finally got to hold a pair of cleated 5-10s. wow they are rigid! so you are using the same w/o the cleats? or do they make a flexible sole shoe as well? Are you using the same rigid type shoe, just w/o the cleats?
Oh no, I'm using the flats with a flat sole (Five Ten Freeriders, color black/khaki):
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT07.html?dwvar_FT07_color=Black&cgid=fiveten-men-bike-shoes

Old 08-23-18, 11:59 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Oh no, I'm using the flats with a flat sole
gotcha
Old 08-23-18, 12:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The easy (but no so cheap) way to keep your feet warm down to ~25F (wet or dry) is with a good cycling boot like the Fasterkatt by 45North. Lugged mountain style tread, takes SPD cleats. (They make a boot that is a real step warmer but I have no need for it here in Portland. If I lived in Boston or Ann Arbor, both cities I have ridden care-free all winter in, I'd look at it.)

There are several other boots that are roughly the same idea. The Fasterkatt fit my feet like they were made for them and work very well for me. 80 miles with 10 of that on gravel on a rainy December day in the low 30s was no biggie.

Ben
Old 08-23-18, 01:53 PM
PaulRivers

gotcha
p.s. You mentioned the clipless five tens being particularly stiff and rigid. The flats are like that, they're like average regular shoes in being somewhat pliable and comfortable to walk around in. With clipless they make the shoe super stiff and rigid, but with flats they can leave being stiff and rigid to the pedal itself.

With shorter flat pedals they were fine but I did find them the most comfortable with longer slightly concave pedals, I use the Dmr Vault Pedals and it's the most comfortable shoe/pedal combination I've ever used on a bike:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MN2ESSI/

A little closer to the topic of this thread there's a waterproof version as well though it's flat not clipless:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT16.html?dwvar_FT16_color=Black&cgid=fiveten-men-bike-shoes

When I using clipless I preferred to use shoe covers which work better with clipless shoes with a heel. Below freezing, rain isn't really an issue. Above freezing when it's still cool you can wear long waterproof pants and shoe covers.

But when it's warm plus raining there's no perfect solution. If you wear long waterproof pants you'll overheat. If you wear shorts the water will drip down your leg into the shoe. I've seen some people use spd sandals riding in the rain when they commute every day regardless of conditions. Wool blend socks might also work in keeping your feet warmish even when wet. But I don't think there's a solution that would let you bike without overheating and also keep your feet completely dry when it's raining hard and also hot out.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 08-23-18 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 03:44 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
MTB sandals for me year-round, so that I can adjust the straps depending on which socks and how many pair (1 or 2) and thus avoid coldness due to being too tight. Then for rain or winter the showers pass shoe covers as they are extremely flexible/loose over the sandals compared to your usual wind cover which will be snug to tight and then break in addition to stopping all circulation. My first pair of showers pass booties I cut out a hole for the sandal, but really for the second pair, I just started clipping in and let the hole form where it wants,then there is a lot smaller hole after that. I may still put in a toe warmer pack on top and between socks when below about 30F depending the length of ride. I may also switch out sandals to regular winter boots when down in the single digits F or below and just ride as platforms. Eggbeaters for me instead of SPD as they are easier for me to catch on the first try with the recumbent. Almost all my rides are in the 60-90 minute range, I rarely go longer so no experience for winter touring or half-day rides. Winter socks are dense wool like smartwool next to skin and then loose wool over like wigwam.

https://www.showerspass.com/products/club-shoe-covers
Old 08-23-18, 06:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
planning to search forums but instead of reviving an old thread(s), maybe ppl want to share their favorite cleated pedal/shoe solutions for wet &/or cold feet. meaning toe & shoe covers, rain shoes & winter boots

I just started using cleated pedals (SPD) so even tho I've got rock solid solutions for 1/2 clips on flat pedals, I need to come up with a new plan if I keep the cleated pedals on the bike(s). maybe not on ice, or in the snow, but certainly thru the Fall & Winter when ground conditions & stability aren't sketchy
First, keep the clipless even on snow and ice. Clipless allows you to use more body English if the bike starts to slip. Additionally, the last thing want to do if you start to slide on ice is to put your foot out to “catch” yourself. You won’t and you’ll end up injuring the leg you “put out”. I’ve popped a hamstring doing so. Better to just fall to the ground than causing a longer lasting injury.

Winter biking and clipless does require some preplanning, however. First, get another pair of shoes but get them 1 to 2 sizes larger than you would normally wear. Summer shoes fit close and adding in a thick sock can end up cramping your feet which makes them colder. A larger size shoe has more room for extra socks.

Second, wind is not your friend. Cold weather riding is made tougher by evaporation of that sweat you are collecting. It’s more important to protect against wind than it is against sweat and, possibly, cold. Summer shoes are very well ventilated. Try to find shoes that are less well ventilated. Luckily, this usually means cheaper shoes. And, again, get them in a larger than normal size.

You may also want to use shoe covers or a neoprene sock. Shoe covers are difficult to use since they tend to be too small for larger feet (>46 European) which makes them difficult to put on. I use these socks in addition to a thin wool sock for fall and warmer winter riding. I also use a pair of waterproof Goretex Shimano shoes when I don’t use boots.

Finally, you probably will need to block up the holes in the bottom of the shoe. I use aluminum furnace tape and cover the whole area of the sole below the insole. I also use an aerogel insole something like these. These will greatly lower the temperature in which the shoes are comfortable. I also use the same insoles for my very cold weather boots.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-14-18, 01:45 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Excellent post, couldn't agree more cyccommute

Originally Posted by cyccommute

First, keep the clipless even on snow and ice. Clipless allows you to use more body English if the bike starts to slip. Additionally, the last thing want to do if you start to slide on ice is to put your foot out to “catch” yourself. You won’t and you’ll end up injuring the leg you “put out”. I’ve popped a hamstring doing so. Better to just fall to the ground than causing a longer lasting injury.

Winter biking and clipless does require some preplanning, however. First, get another pair of shoes but get them 1 to 2 sizes larger than you would normally wear. Summer shoes fit close and adding in a thick sock can end up cramping your feet which makes them colder. A larger size shoe has more room for extra socks.

Second, wind is not your friend. Cold weather riding is made tougher by evaporation of that sweat you are collecting. It’s more important to protect against wind than it is against sweat and, possibly, cold. Summer shoes are very well ventilated. Try to find shoes that are less well ventilated. Luckily, this usually means cheaper shoes. And, again, get them in a larger than normal size.

You may also want to use shoe covers or a neoprene sock. Shoe covers are difficult to use since they tend to be too small for larger feet (>46 European) which makes them difficult to put on. I use these socks in addition to a thin wool sock for fall and warmer winter riding. I also use a pair of waterproof Goretex Shimano shoes when I don’t use boots.

Finally, you probably will need to block up the holes in the bottom of the shoe. I use aluminum furnace tape and cover the whole area of the sole below the insole. I also use an aerogel insole something like these. These will greatly lower the temperature in which the shoes are comfortable. I also use the same insoles for my very cold weather boots.
Old 09-14-18, 02:07 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I use SPD compatible pedals and Lake MXZ302 shoes in the rain/winter.
Only goes to around 10 degrees F in my area though.

DSCN0337 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 09-14-18, 07:20 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Excellent post, couldn't agree more cyccommute
And if I may add, I use Hot Paws for toes inside my shoes when it's cold. Make sure you ventilate them before inserting them because with all the wind blocking, they will starve for oxygen within the hour and stop producing heat. If you haven't expended all its heat (ie, still oxidation left), put them in an air tight ziplock bag until next time.
Old 09-15-18, 07:07 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Ditch the clipless set up and change to platform pedals with proper winter boots.
Old 09-15-18, 08:57 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Ditch the clipless set up and change to platform pedals with proper winter boots.
There are any number of “proper winter boots” made for cycling that include clipless. 45NTH has the Wølfgar and Wölvhammer. The Lake MXZ boot is a “winter” boot. There are lots and lots of others.

But my take on rumrunn6’s question is that he doesn’t want something that is for super cold weather but more for the transition times. A “winter boot” would be overkill for that kind of usage. I have Lake MXZ303s and they are way too hot for anything above about 20°F.

And, I already pointed out the problems with platform pedals above.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-15-18, 01:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

And, I already pointed out the problems with platform pedals above.
I have 11 Canadian winters behind me all ridden with pinned platform pedals and insulated hiking boots plus gaiters, my set up has never failed me and that's what I will continue to use.
Old 09-15-18, 04:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
SPuD pedals can be a Heat sink, sucking warmth out of your feet.

You may not want that..
Old 09-15-18, 07:42 PM
cyccommute 

I have 11 Canadian winters behind me all ridden with pinned platform pedals and insulated hiking boots plus gaiters, my set up has never failed me and that's what I will continue to use.
That’s great. Keep it up. When you hit 30 we can talk.

On the other hand, you answer was not the answer to rumrunn6’s question. He specifically said he didn’t know if he was going to ride in ice and snow. That means warmer weather where your solution is overkill and counter productive.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
SPuD pedals can be a Heat sink, sucking warmth out of your feet.

You may not want that..
No, they aren’t. At least not if you plan correctly. Already addressed above.

Old 09-16-18, 06:59 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have 10 winters behind me and totally agree. It may not be relevant to the OP's question, but in ice and snow and frigid cold, platforms are the way to go, IMO. All the seasoned winter commuters I know here run platforms and warm winter boots when things get cold. I took their advice and save the SPDs for fairweather riding, and it was a huge improvement.

If temps are above freezing, toe caps or booties work fine. No need to overthink it.