Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So just how fragile are carbon wheels (303's or 404's)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So just how fragile are carbon wheels (303's or 404's)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 08:48 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
What is this *need* you speak of?

Do you race?

One race on cobbles doesn't prove the durability of a wheelset...

I have mentioned twice that i would be racing some crits and road races on them. My "need" was a wheel that is durable, affordable and that I can train and race on in Quebec...think Beirut style roads...
Old 06-05-09, 08:56 PM
RParker

Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca, 04 Trek 5500 Project One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
What's the warranty on Zipps to the original owner? Do they have a discounted rim replacement program if you crack them?
When I bought mine in 2008 it was for one year. They also have a crash replacement policy that isn't bad when considering the cost of the wheels. Don't ask me how I Know. The problem I had would have destroyed any rim i would have been riding.
Old 06-05-09, 08:57 PM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Train on my 404's on some really ... really bad roads. Have probably 10k+ miles on my 404's and just having the rear bearings replaced. They may have been overtightened. The fronts are fine. Have never needed to true the wheels.
Old 06-05-09, 08:58 PM
bikeybikebike
Economists do it w/models

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
Animated Face-palm. Very nice.
Old 06-05-09, 11:31 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
must have been one face-palm too many...
Old 06-06-09, 12:02 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I've heard of Zipps cracking a lot. My Reynolds seem to be my strongest wheelset, I've never had a problem with them and that includes getting run over by a car...
I second this; a guy I raced with cracked his Zipps in one accident. I guess it must've not been too bad though, since he bought another pair

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 06-06-09, 02:57 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RParker
When I bought mine in 2008 it was for one year. They also have a crash replacement policy that isn't bad when considering the cost of the wheels. Don't ask me how I Know. The problem I had would have destroyed any rim i would have been riding.
So what are the specifics of the Zipp crash replacement program?
Old 06-06-09, 04:34 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I thought they just charged you like 500 or something to put new rims on.
Old 06-06-09, 05:24 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
I thought they just charged you like 500 or something to put new rims on.
It's like $360 for the "no-fault" rim replacement. Usually 5-7 days in house at Zipp. Thankfully I've never availed myself of that service.
Old 06-06-09, 10:04 AM
UTmtnbiker
Master of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having my front 303 rebuilt by Zipp this week due to crack that they determined was due to some type of pothole crash.

The LBS quoted me a price of $400 to have the wheel rebuilt by Zipp with new spokes. Not exactly what I wanted to spend 4 bills on, but all things considered, not that bad of a price for a new rim, spokes, and labor to build the wheel.

Originally Posted by DrPete
It's like $360 for the "no-fault" rim replacement. Usually 5-7 days in house at Zipp. Thankfully I've never availed myself of that service.
Old 06-06-09, 10:42 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Good program.
Old 06-06-09, 11:36 AM
rasamatoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaeger
For Quebec roads I recommend these

THANK YOU

We do have the worst roads ever. They should make a show called "Québec's worst bike commute". About half a million people would send in their videos/story/pictures .
Old 06-07-09, 04:21 AM
ezee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris R.
I have mentioned twice that i would be racing some crits and road races on them. My "need" was a wheel that is durable, affordable and that I can train and race on in Quebec...think Beirut style roads...
Sadly, Beirut roads are probably better than in Quebec
Old 06-07-09, 08:00 AM
K-S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!
Mavic Cosmic Carbones.
Sorry I'm a little late to respond to this, but the mp3 program from mavic is supposed to handle exactly what you're talking about. I have a pair of these wheels with mp3 coverage; the roads I ride on aren't too bad but it gives a psychological boost knowing I spent more than a thousand bucks on wheels that are - in theory - easily replaced for free if they break.
Old 06-07-09, 07:44 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright so I decided on a set of Reynolds Assault wheels...an ebay find for $1000 for the set including the brake pads, wheel tape, spoke wrench and skewers (i think).
Looking forward to trying them out!

To note: I did 2 amazing rides this weekend on great roads...IN Quebec. From Lachute to Wentworth and then to Brownsberg (lots of climbing but really pretty and good roads) and then the next day Morin-Heights to Weir on the 364 west. More climbing and great roads.
Old 06-07-09, 08:10 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hit a pretty big pothole today when we were doing around 30mph. The cracking carbon sound was nausea-inducing, but it was only chain slap. The 404s are just fine.

tubular - 110 psi
Old 06-07-09, 10:40 PM
extreme_ride

Bikes: Colnago President, Look 586, Specialized Sirrus Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard alot of bad things about the Zipp rims and have actually seen the damage that has occured to these rims not pretty. I would recommend the Bontrager XXX race rims excellent rim for the price and are fast, also go with the tubular type. I currently have the Bontager and the Mavic Cosmic Ultimate and have had no problems with either of these rims. I have also tried the Fulcrum Racing Light another excellent rim all of these were in the tubular versions. Cheers....
Old 06-08-09, 03:22 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UTmtnbiker
I'm having my front 303 rebuilt by Zipp this week due to crack that they determined was due to some type of pothole crash.

The LBS quoted me a price of $400 to have the wheel rebuilt by Zipp with new spokes. Not exactly what I wanted to spend 4 bills on, but all things considered, not that bad of a price for a new rim, spokes, and labor to build the wheel.
You might want to call Zipp directly--it would seem your LBS might be factoring in shipping costs or skimming a little something off the top, because I'm fairly sure it's $360 or less for a rim replacement.
Old 06-08-09, 10:44 AM
RParker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=patentcad;9051938]So what are the specifics of the Zipp crash replacement program?[/QUOT

I destroyed my 2008 Zed Tech 4 rear in a crit crash. I sent it to Zipp, they replaced everything except hub which they checked out and was fine. I paid 360.00, I didn't think that was to bad considering that it had nothing to do with the quality of the product.
Old 06-08-09, 11:22 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=RParker;9062833]
Originally Posted by patentcad
So what are the specifics of the Zipp crash replacement program?[/QUOT

I destroyed my 2008 Zed Tech 4 rear in a crit crash. I sent it to Zipp, they replaced everything except hub which they checked out and was fine. I paid 360.00, I didn't think that was to bad considering that it had nothing to do with the quality of the product.
My question would be why are you racing a Zed Tech 4 in a crit? I have a set of Zed 2's that I personally would only use on road racing and climbing events.
Old 06-08-09, 11:44 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 376 Posts
I have a set of Zipp 404's that I ride on everyday. Purchased in 2004, and they're still fine. I have a Zipp 404 PT wheel bought in 2006. The Aluminum nipples started corroding and breaking, and had to be replaced. No other issues with that wheel.

I bought a set of Zipp 303s in 2003 that cracked around the spokes. I believe that was a coomon problem with that rim at that time. Zipp fixed it under warranty. Happened again in 2008, out of warranty. Got a new set of Zipp 303 tubulars for $800 under a crash replacement policy. Overall i've been pleased.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-08-09, 01:43 PM
RParker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Vireo;9063122]

My question would be why are you racing a Zed Tech 4 in a crit? I have a set of Zed 2's that I personally would only use on road racing and climbing events.
To each his own I guess, but they are light spin up nice and are stiff. It is a flat course that tends to be little windy. Why would I not use them? If it is a issue of the possibility of a crash that can happen just as easy in a road race. So I guess I really don't see the point of your question, why buy the stuff if you don't plan to use it. Do I need them? No. Am I a good racer and this could give a slim advantage? No, I am slow. The truth is I like them and want to ride them. you have nice looking bike and wheels by the way.
Old 06-08-09, 02:23 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=RParker;9064210]
Originally Posted by Vireo

To each his own I guess, but they are light spin up nice and are stiff. It is a flat course that tends to be little windy. Why would I not use them? If it is a issue of the possibility of a crash that can happen just as easy in a road race. So I guess I really don't see the point of your question, why buy the stuff if you don't plan to use it. Do I need them? No. Am I a good racer and this could give a slim advantage? No, I am slow. The truth is I like them and want to ride them. you have nice looking bike and wheels by the way.
Thank you.

I guess my perspective comes from being a new USCF racer last year (2008). I did over 25 crits and road races (mainly crits) from Feb-May and there was a crash in every race that I was in save one. I raced Cat 5 and Cat 4. Field sizes in Cat 4 and Masters were well over 70 with as many as 100. Wheels and bikes were being destroyed in those races. I raced a CAAD9 with Zipp 404 Power Tap. However, I work in a shop and could "afford" to replace the rim at my prices. But the Zed series is more expensive to replace.

I do believe in "race 'em if you got 'em". I just save my Zed Tech's for less hazardous situations...like when I get dropped in a road race
Old 06-08-09, 03:40 PM
RParker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Vireo;9064490]

Thank you.

I guess my perspective comes from being a new USCF racer last year (2008). I did over 25 crits and road races (mainly crits) from Feb-May and there was a crash in every race that I was in save one. I raced Cat 5 and Cat 4. Field sizes in Cat 4 and Masters were well over 70 with as many as 100. Wheels and bikes were being destroyed in those races. I raced a CAAD9 with Zipp 404 Power Tap. However, I work in a shop and could "afford" to replace the rim at my prices. But the Zed series is more expensive to replace.

I do believe in "race 'em if you got 'em". I just save my Zed Tech's for less hazardous situations...like when I get dropped in a road race
Well, you make good points as I have raced far fewer crits than you and have already destroyed a wheel. I have just done few of our local Wen. crit and the field size is much smaller. So maybe I should re think it too I took a look at your blogs by the way great stuff ! The bikes are great !
Old 06-09-09, 05:17 AM
BHBiker
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velosure will fix that problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.