Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Reviews of "Phaser" (bike) or "Cyclone" (trike) from HPM?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 12:46 PM
bookishboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi recumbent folks. I've been casting a sidelong eye at several models from Oregon's Center for Appropriate Transport (Human-Powered Machines).
https://www.catoregon.org/hpm/hpmproducts

The two which I'm most interested in are the Phaser, a two-wheeler:
https://www.catoregon.org/hpm/phaser.htm

...and the Cyclone, a three-wheeler:
https://www.catoregon.org/hpm/cyclone.htm

What interests me about both models is the (relatively) small size and adoption of a single wheelsize for both vehicles (ERTO 406, BMX-size). I'm curious if they would make for sacrifices in handling, compared to the more common setup (larger wheel in back, smaller in front).

Independant reviews for either of these models seem to be nonexistant. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Anyone in here ridden either of them? Know someone who has? Seen write-ups of them by someone with first-hand experience?
Old 09-19-11, 09:51 PM
mwm341

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 260 pounds. The trike (with the upgraded front end) handles well at low speed.

BUT:

If I attempt to go uphill, or put any significant (Pedal) power to the trike, the metal in the frame twists enough to misalign the drivetrain, causing skipping at the crank.This is true not only for myself, but also for much smaller riders. Surely this indicates design and/or materials issues? The proprietor of the bicycle shop that did the assembly is of the opinion that this is a defective product, and should be returned to the manufacturer, and that I should get my money back. This is a major disappointment, as the trike was intended to be my only source of transportation due
to a physical issue.

Attempts to communicate with the manufacturer have met with zero response, so (at least for the time being) I'm stuck with a load of bike parts, a mid-drive and 30+ pounds of scrap metal.

All in all, this is a lousy beginning for something billed as 'the best tadpole trike in the world.
Old 09-20-11, 11:59 AM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Following the link to the Cyclone brings up a page with the following: Oops! Page Not Found (Error 404)

The link to the home page works, but there is no mention of the Cyclone trike what so ever in their catalog. Makes a person wonder if they have pulled this model from their production line. In my opinion, based on this and mwm341's above comment, beware!!
Old 09-20-11, 04:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
Following the link to the Cyclone brings up a page with the following: Oops! Page Not Found (Error 404)

The link to the home page works, but there is no mention of the Cyclone trike what so ever in their catalog. Makes a person wonder if they have pulled this model from their production line. In my opinion, based on this and mwm341's above comment, beware!!
This thread has been asleep for five years!
Old 09-22-11, 10:59 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
This thread has been asleep for five years!
Darn zombies!

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..