Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My power meter can give me torque information...what is that telling me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 10:25 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts

When I upgraded my computer to a Wahoo, one of the power metrics I could display is "torque". Does anyone know what one can learn from that value? There are several variations of the metric, the one I'm using is "last lap torque", but I really don't know what I'm looking at when I see the value. I think my plan is to learn through osmosis, as I try to correlate the value to how hard I pushed on a given lap, how I felt, etc. How is torque different or comparable to power numbers? Seems to be more or less correlated, the higher the wattage, the higher the torque, more or less, but I don't know how that metric might be useful in comparison to lap power. The values are usually in the low 2 digit numbers (20s-30s) for an effort in my Z4 range, but don't even know the units lol! 20 or 30 what, and is that a lap average number? I understand the definition of the word, and obviously the more power you put into the pedals, the higher the torque value will be, but I don't quite understand how or what to take from a given effort looking at that value vs just looking at power.
Old 05-14-18, 11:11 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Simple, qualitative explanation: your power is your torque multiplied by your cadence.
Old 05-14-18, 11:30 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Basically, it's how effective you're pedal stroke is at delivering power all the way arround. Higher is better, I want to say that 30% and higher is pretty good. If you want a really detailed write up, look here: https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blo...dal-smoothness
Old 05-14-18, 11:41 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by pesty
Basically, it's how effective you're pedal stroke is at delivering power all the way arround. Higher is better, I want to say that 30% and higher is pretty good. If you want a really detailed write up, look here: https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blo...dal-smoothness
The OP is asking about torque -- what you referenced is completely different.
Old 05-14-18, 12:03 PM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Simple, qualitative explanation: your power is your torque multiplied by your cadence.
/thread
Old 05-14-18, 12:33 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This is true for most power meters. For Power Tap hubs, power is measured at the rear hub so power is (hub) torque multiplied by the wheel's rotation speed.

Knowing the torque can be useful for 1) checking the accuracy of your power meter, or for diagnosing problems; or 2) examining "QA" (aka pedal force and pedal speed analysis). Most riders never look at QA analyses, nor do they ever check the accuracy of their PMs, so most riders can just ignore the torque data field.

I do periodically check the accuracy of my PM, so I do like being able to get the torque value. Once I diagnosed a problem with a power meter by noticing that the product of torque and cadence (and a conversion constant) didn't quite equal the power; it turns out the cadence measurement was off.
Old 05-14-18, 01:50 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by RChung
This is true for most power meters. For Power Tap hubs, power is measured at the rear hub so power is (hub) torque multiplied by the wheel's rotation speed.
​​​​​​​That's why I emphasized qualitative -- my purpose was to give the OP a sense of how torque and power are related, without going into details.
Old 05-14-18, 02:08 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
When I upgraded my computer to a Wahoo, one of the power metrics I could display is "torque". Does anyone know what one can learn from that value? There are several variations of the metric, the one I'm using is "last lap torque", but I really don't know what I'm looking at when I see the value. I think my plan is to learn through osmosis, as I try to correlate the value to how hard I pushed on a given lap, how I felt, etc. How is torque different or comparable to power numbers? Seems to be more or less correlated, the higher the wattage, the higher the torque, more or less, but I don't know how that metric might be useful in comparison to lap power. The values are usually in the low 2 digit numbers (20s-30s) for an effort in my Z4 range, but don't even know the units lol! 20 or 30 what, and is that a lap average number? I understand the definition of the word, and obviously the more power you put into the pedals, the higher the torque value will be, but I don't quite understand how or what to take from a given effort looking at that value vs just looking at power.
You can develop a given power, say 200w, at any RPM you like. Just "mash" the gears more or less, dependig on what gear you have chosen. The touque value is a measure of how much you mash the gears. For the same power, RPM will go up and torque go down if you choose a light geat and RPM will go down and torque up if you choose a heavy gear.
Old 05-15-18, 09:38 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You can develop a given power, say 200w, at any RPM you like. Just "mash" the gears more or less, dependig on what gear you have chosen. The touque value is a measure of how much you mash the gears. For the same power, RPM will go up and torque go down if you choose a light geat and RPM will go down and torque up if you choose a heavy gear.
OK, this dumbs it down enough to my level . On a short steep hill I did 300w at over 40 "torque units" while out of the saddle mashing at probably 65-70rpm whereas on other 300w efforts it can be closer to 30 if I try to spin it more. I'll probably keep the metric for a while see if it ends up having any usefulness for me.

So, what are the "torque units" shown?
Old 05-15-18, 09:57 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
OK, this dumbs it down enough to my level . On a short steep hill I did 300w at over 40 "torque units" while out of the saddle mashing at probably 65-70rpm whereas on other 300w efforts it can be closer to 30 if I try to spin it more. I'll probably keep the metric for a while see if it ends up having any usefulness for me.

Are you measuring HR as well? If not you should be for it to be useful. See how your HR varies with the torque/cadence difference for the same avg power.
Old 05-15-18, 10:56 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts

Torque units displayed is Nm, or Newton meters.

If you're using analysis software that displays Torque Effectiveness, you might find the TE percentage useful in improving your pedaling technique. For example, a 75% TE would indicate that 75% of applied torque is going towards moving the bike, while the remaining 25% is you working against yourself by keeping pedal pressure on the upstroke. Obviously, you'd want to see as high a TE percentage as possible.
Old 05-15-18, 11:28 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

There are several different ways to express torque. Pound foot, lbs ft, is common in the US, but if you set it to metric then Im betting it will display SI units. That is Newton metre, Nm. If you can make it show power, torque and RPM all at once, Im betting you quickly learn how they relate.
Old 05-15-18, 02:01 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts

It depends on your power meter, and whether your head unit is set to display in SI (metric) or Imperial units. The metric unit is Nm, the Imperial unit is foot-lbs.

Originally Posted by redlude97
Are you measuring HR as well? If not you should be for it to be useful. See how your HR varies with the torque/cadence difference for the same avg power.
You don't need HR for torque information to be useful.

Here's a plot that shows cadence and crank torque for the same guy in three different types of races. The plot is from here.

Old 05-15-18, 02:58 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

Probably foot-pounds, which is a pretty simple unit. It's the amount of force exerted on a bolt by a 1 foot long wrench with a pound of weight sitting on the end of it.
Old 05-16-18, 05:19 PM
cthenn

Cool, brilliant info in here, thanks! I'm gonna look more into torque effectiveness, does that require a L/R PM, because mine is left-only. I think I've experimented with that and pedal smoothness on the Wahoo data fields, and nothing shows up...
Old 05-16-18, 06:31 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I don't recall anyone using Horsepower as a unit for power measurement for cycling, so why would there be a readout of ft/lb?
It would be like your car speedo reading out your speed in mph and distance in kms at the same time.