Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Dupuytrens and Keto Diet

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Dupuytrens and Keto Diet

Old 01-13-20, 10:08 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Dupuytrens and Keto Diet

8 weeks with pins screwed into my finger bone with a device called a Digit Widget. I’m going INSANE But it is working! My finger went from a 90 degree bend to about 30 degrees now I need the second surgery to complete the repair. Then the other hand gets a straight forward dupuytrens clean out to release my thumb. I can only walk for exercise and I went on a keto diet so I won’t gain unwanted weight and lose about 20 I want to rid myself of. I tried low carb before and failed because I was riding hard and it didn’t work out at all. This time it has been a breeze since I’m only walking. Got over the keto flu now I have steady energy all day and I eat about half as much. I can live fine on meat and greens and my super food is sardines. I have plenty of time to experiment and see what happens. Becoming a fat burner sounds ok to me.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-21-20, 02:44 PM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Just got diagnosed at 65, left hand, cyst leading to my ring finger. Not painful yet. Hope I don't progress too quickly. Doesn't help that I'm a lefty. Compared to some friends problems, I'll handle this ok.
Old 08-22-20, 10:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
My latest hand repair was a failure. Digit Widget doesn’t work and is a bunch of BS. Don’t go to a surgeon that insists on a Digit Widget! Gets in the way is annoying and my finger got infected! My finger is still crooked. Waste of time and money.
Old 08-23-20, 07:19 PM
355Mono

Sorry to hear. I assume you saw a certified hand surgeon. Hope I can avoid surgery for as long as possible (or never).
Old 08-24-20, 02:35 PM
355Mono

I read up on the procedure. Sorry it didn't work out well.
Old 09-02-20, 11:22 AM
Joe F

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-7 29

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts
I went Clean Keto with Intermittent Fasting in March at the recommendation of my Dr. I spent weeks feeling like it was never going to work. So much bonking out on the MTB trails. My doc told me to stick it out however and my body would become Fat Adapted. I am now 25lbs lighter with a much better BMI (22'ish), my BP is down 20 points top and bottom and just this past Monday got my fastest trail time in over a year. I haven't felt so overall good in years.

As an added bonus I discovered Joe Duff's YouTube channel as well as some others which has made eating Keto extremely enjoyable. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDietChef/videos

Last edited by Joe F; 09-02-20 at 11:53 AM.