Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

GP 4 Season Clincher "stuck" on tubeless rim??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 04:05 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

When I mounted these tires it wasn't fun. It was the tightest combination (GP 4 Seasons + HED Ardennes SL+) that I'd ever experienced. But now, I don't know what to do to get this thing off. The tire bead is locked so hard into place that it seems like I will rip the sidewall getting it off. Is there something I don't know about tubeless rims? I wasn't using tubeless, btw. I was running this combo with a tube. God forbid I have to do this on the side of the road.

Edit - I have changed a million tubes in my life and I've never experienced anything like this. With all the strength in my thumbs I can maybe budge the bead a centimeter. I *might* be able to get something extremely thin under the bead, like, butter knife thin, but I definitely can't get my tire lever in.

Last edited by showlow; 02-24-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 04:38 PM
showlow

Ok... I figured it out. You have to slide the bead into that center channel.
Old 02-24-20, 04:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
Yup. I’ve had the same issues. Finally figured out use my fingers to pull from the opposite side, the tire off the raised section into the center of the rim, then I could get a tire lever under the bead.
Old 02-24-20, 04:57 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yup. I’ve had the same issues. Finally figured out use my fingers to pull from the opposite side, the tire off the raised section into the center of the rim, then I could get a tire lever under the bead.
This new fangled stuff kinda pisses me off.
Likes For showlow:
Old 02-24-20, 06:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
FWIW If I have a tire rim combo that make the install hard, I make myself simulate fixing a flat to ensure that the tools/knowledge I have are up to the task before i have to do it in a non fun situation

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-24-20, 07:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

This new fangled stuff kinda pisses me off.
You would not like Synchro Shifting on a Di2 system.

But in all truth, once I figured out how the rim was different and what was going on, it’s really easy. Old dog, new trick was all.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-24-20, 07:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Yep, the terms of engagement are different with tubeless-ready rims. As long as you 1) don't use Velox tape and 2) get all of the bead in the center channel when mounting or dismounting, it shouldn't be too bad.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-24-20, 07:36 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yep, the terms of engagement are different with tubeless-ready rims. As long as you 1) don't use Velox tape and 2) get all of the bead in the center channel when mounting or dismounting, it shouldn't be too bad.
Yeah, I think got it now. It only took me a couple of minutes to get the old tire off and put the new tire on the rear rim. Still way harder than dealing with normal clinchers. I have blisters on both thumbs.

PS - I'm so glad I didn't use regular Velox tape.

Last edited by showlow; 02-24-20 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 04:51 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I’m dealing with a similar issue. My LightBicycle rims have a really strong bead retention ridge and I’m using vittoria TLR tires. I can make the bead budge by about 3mm in a very small spot if I use one palm to push the tire and one hand to pull the rim with all my strength. I’ve found the only way (besides being a gorilla) to get the bead off is to grow a 3rd hand and stick a tire lever in that 3mm gap between the tire bead and rim sidewall. Note that the lever does not go under your tire bead. If you can do that with a tubeless setup, you’re either going to hemorrhage air and sealant or risk a catastrophic burp. Anyway, this effectively saves your progress so you can repeat this push/pull maneuver next to that section. At that point the tire should pop off pretty easily. The concept is simple. And if you have a friend who’s willing to help, the execution would probably be easy too. But alone? On a cold or wet day near the end of the ride? Forget about it. I’m legitimately considering sanding down the ridge in a small section so I can get it going roadside.

A mountain biker on youtube laid the wheel on the ground, stepped on the tire and pulled the rim up. Of course roadies can’t get enough purchase on our 25-30mm tires.

Last edited by smashndash; 02-25-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 07:43 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by smashndash
I’m dealing with a similar issue. My LightBicycle rims have a really strong bead retention ridge and I’m using vittoria TLR tires. I can make the bead budge by about 3mm in a very small spot if I use one palm to push the tire and one hand to pull the rim with all my strength. I’ve found the only way (besides being a gorilla) to get the bead off is to grow a 3rd hand and stick a tire lever in that 3mm gap between the tire bead and rim sidewall. Note that the lever does not go under your tire bead. If you can do that with a tubeless setup, you’re either going to hemorrhage air and sealant or risk a catastrophic burp. Anyway, this effectively saves your progress so you can repeat this push/pull maneuver next to that section. At that point the tire should pop off pretty easily. The concept is simple. And if you have a friend who’s willing to help, the execution would probably be easy too. But alone? On a cold or wet day near the end of the ride? Forget about it. I’m legitimately considering sanding down the ridge in a small section so I can get it going roadside.

A mountain biker on youtube laid the wheel on the ground, stepped on the tire and pulled the rim up. Of course roadies can’t get enough purchase on our 25-30mm tires.
What I found worked was to grab the rim and using my fingers, pull the tire on the opposite side of the rim towards the center channel. Better grip strength (In my case) than trying to use my thumb to push the near side of the tire towards the channel.
Old 02-25-20, 07:47 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What I found worked was to grab the rim and using my fingers, pull the tire on the opposite side of the rim towards the center channel. Better grip strength (In my case) than trying to use my thumb to push the near side of the tire towards the channel.
Tried that. That doesn’t put nearly as much force as grabbing the tire with my fist and pushing with my whole arm and pulling the rim with my other arm. Think of trying to rip a phonebook. I’m also a bit concerned about my fingernails digging into the tire sidewall when I do that. I have to do this when I get home this evening - not looking forward to it.

EDIT: My technique didn’t work a second time. I had 1, then 2 tire levers in there and the bead would not budge. So, I used a convection-based heater to heat up the whole tire and it popped right off. God help me if this happens on the road, in the cold or rain.

Last edited by smashndash; 02-26-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 12:17 AM
showlow

After some practice, I was able to do the rear rim in just a few minutes. I still have the blisters on my thumbs though and it took a lot more effort than it normally would to remove the tire and change a tube. The trick, like I mentioned above, is to push the bead into the center channel on the rim. You have to focus all your effort on pushing that bead inward. Eventually the bead will slip and drop into that center channel and you can then remove the tire like normal.

Like you said, I'm not looking forward to doing this on the side of the road. I may carry a pair of full finger gloves with me just in case I have to do it and need some extra grip strength. The blisters on my thumbs are still healing.