Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Mid South Gravel

Old 03-16-20, 06:22 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Mid South Gravel

One day after the ride Stillwater declares a state of emergency because of the coronavirus.

I'm guessing this could be one of last organized rides for the near term.
Old 03-16-20, 07:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
It may depend on how you define near-term.
Old 03-16-20, 07:38 PM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by dwmckee
It may depend on how you define near-term.
I don't know how to define near term other than to say April events will be cancelled or postponed at a minimum. Beyond that I wouldn't venture a guess.

How would you define near term?
Old 03-17-20, 04:39 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I would guess it's going to be through early Summer - flattening the curve also means making it longer.
Likes For srode1:
Old 03-17-20, 08:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
One day after the ride Stillwater declares a state of emergency because of the coronavirus.

I'm guessing this could be one of last organized rides for the near term.
The next event I was signed up to do, the MADCO100, cancelled on Sunday. It was set for May 2nd. Bummed about that, but I get it.
MADCO100

It was interesting to read how many people chose not to participate in the MidSouth race due to travel and concern. Or put another way, it was interesting to see how many people chose to participate in it, given the health organizations and government's recent requests for no large gatherings and reduced travel.
Im not judging either way here. I genuinely find it interesting to see what is participated in and what isnt, and what each person's threshold of comfort is in an unprecedented(for most of us) situation like this.
Old 03-17-20, 11:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The next event I was signed up to do, the MADCO100, cancelled on Sunday. It was set for May 2nd. Bummed about that, but I get it.
MADCO100

It was interesting to read how many people chose not to participate in the MidSouth race due to travel and concern. Or put another way, it was interesting to see how many people chose to participate in it, given the health organizations and government's recent requests for no large gatherings and reduced travel.
Im not judging either way here. I genuinely find it interesting to see what is participated in and what isnt, and what each person's threshold of comfort is in an unprecedented(for most of us) situation like this.
I'll judge. It was wildly irresponsible. It's not about personal comfort it's about the well-being of everyone and how individual actions affect more than just the individual.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 03-17-20, 11:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I'll judge. It was wildly irresponsible. It's not about personal comfort it's about the well-being of everyone and how individual actions affect more than just the individual.
For sure- this is more than just personal well-being. I dont know how contained and close to others everyone was at any given time, which is why I specifically said my comments arent a judgement.
If check-in was automated/online/spread over many hours, there were no pre-ride close contact events, and lining up to start was spread out- its less of an issue and concern.
I honestly dont know the details.
Old 03-17-20, 01:51 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont know how contained and close to others everyone was at any given time, which is why I specifically said my comments arent a judgement.
If check-in was automated/online/spread over many hours, there were no pre-ride close contact events, and lining up to start was spread out- its less of an issue and concern.
I honestly dont know the details.
lol, it wasn't any of those things
Old 03-18-20, 08:59 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
lol, it wasn't any of those things
Truth - the pictures I saw from the delayed start were everyone huddle undered umbrellas and awnings like a stock yard.
Old 03-18-20, 09:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
I don't know how to define near term other than to say April events will be cancelled or postponed at a minimum. Beyond that I wouldn't venture a guess.

How would you define near term?
Big determiner for organizers....their ride liability insurer, they're the ones that'll cut organizers off whether they want to or not. Sure city/county/state proclamations make it publicly obvious---but the liability insurer is the behind-the-scenes boss in matters like this.

Mid/late May rides are right around 8 weeks out...so they're maybe possible, but April is almost certainly hosed. June isn't looking great. In Wuhan it took 3 months of complete societal/commerce/industry shutdown to stop this bugger; those folks only just yesterday were allowed outside for the first time in 3 months. As much as measures are being put in place already--people are still being people and potentially making matters worse, thinking these things don't apply to them.
Old 03-18-20, 10:41 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by grubetown
Truth - the pictures I saw from the delayed start were everyone huddle undered umbrellas and awnings like a stock yard.
I was in my car like a good little lemming.
Old 03-20-20, 12:59 PM
Planemaker

Interesting editorial from CX Magazine

Mid South Editorial