Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

February has been a bad month for Blazingpedals...

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 02:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts

Kidney stones just in time for my business trip to Long beach a few weeks ago. I managed to get Influenza 'A' on the trip, too. Back home after that hell week, things got worse and I finally ended up in ER. Diagnosis: one stone blocking my right ureter, a bigger one blocking my left kidney. So NO throughput. They removed the stone from the ureter but had to put in a stent to hold it open against the inflammation; and they put in another stent for the other one. For now my pee is red and I don't dare do anything more physical than gingerly walk around the house. I'll find out tomorrow when a lithotripsy can be scheduled so the stents can someday be removed. Not looking forward to that since the cath hurts almost as bad as the stones.

OK, I'm done complaining. At least this happened during the off-season for biking.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-02-20, 10:39 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Dang, John-that's a tough run of issues! Hope you feel better soon.
Likes For 5teve:
Old 03-18-20, 07:44 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That's quite an Organ Recital there BP, here's to you having a much better March.

You picked a hell of a time to get better, just perfect for the Covid-19 storm. Maybe you built up some good strong resistance with all you went through last month.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-21-20, 12:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Update: I've had laser lithotripsy to get the big stone out, both stents removed but a new one where the stone was. That'll come out Monday. I'm starting to feel human again!. I got lucky. Apparently the lithotripsy was considered 'elective' surgery, and due to the Corona virus the hospital was deferring all elective surgeries for anyone 65 or older. I turn 65 in a couple of months.
Old 03-21-20, 08:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good timing on the lithotripsy, BP. Doesn't sound 'elective' to me, in your case, but what do I know, I'm just a retired nurse.
I missed this thread until tonight. Glad to hear the plumbing is working again.
Old 03-23-20, 02:30 PM
BlazingPedals

The remaining stent came out today (I did it myself so I could avoid a trip to the office - yow!) I'll get a final x-ray in about 2 months. In the meantime, it's nice to feel almost human again. The local club is banning club rides, so I'll probably start riding indoors on Zwift tomorrow.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-23-20, 04:07 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yet another American cyclist posting rides in London, Wales or the middle of the English Channel on Strava! Have fun!
Old 03-23-20, 06:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Kidney stones just in time for my business trip to Long beach a few weeks ago. I managed to get Influenza 'A' on the trip, too. Back home after that hell week, things got worse and I finally ended up in ER. Diagnosis: one stone blocking my right ureter, a bigger one blocking my left kidney.

They removed the stone from the ureter but had to put in a stent to hold it open against the inflammation; and they put in another stent for the other one. For now my pee is red and I don't dare do anything more physical than gingerly walk around the house.

I'll find out tomorrow when a lithotripsy can be scheduled so the stents can someday be removed. Not looking forward to that since the cath hurts almost as bad as the stones.

OK, I'm done complaining. At least this happened during the off-season for biking.
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
That's quite an Organ Recital there BP, here's to you having a much better March.

You picked a hell of a time to get better, just perfect for the Covid-19 storm. Maybe you built up some good strong resistance with all you went through last month.

Bill
Dittoes to the above wishes @BlazingPedals. Years ago I had painless hematuria and thought “Oh man…I’ll have to have my bladder removed.” Turned out to be a ureteral stone, and I had lithotripsy with no recurrence.

And @qcpmsame (Bill), it’s always nice to see a post by you, so often in sympathy with a fellow subscriber. I hope things are well with you.

In several previous correspondences I always had to copy and paste your screen name because the unpronunceable initialisms were so peculiar, like
Mr. Mxyzptlk in the Superman comics, until you explained them, and I was familiar with the terms. Now I can easily type it out.

JfB

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-24-20 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-28-20, 07:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
BlazingPedals Glad you're doing better. Things would have been a loit more difficult and dangerous if they had happened a month later. Wishing you a speedy recovery.