Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Where do your recharges come from?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 12:05 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

I just wondered if you know from where your electricity comes? Ours comes from hydroelectric and coal fired plants. If I'm saving on the environment how is that? My power is generated somewhere? I would like to set up a generating source like solar/wind for a battery set in the basement. My solar panels would make use of rare earth and I always thought that oil and rare earth were some compelling reasons for being in Afghanistan. So is charging our electric bikes a saving on the environment??? Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-15-20, 02:14 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Charging my ebike draws about 250W for 5 hours = 1.25KW, and costs about $ 0.16. I doubt that has any signifcant effect on the environment but it sure helps my old knees!
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 05-15-20, 02:16 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Where I live ...Illinois ... electricity is
30% Coal
54% Nuclear
7% Natural Gas
10% Wind
It cost about 13 cents for 1000WH. here.

We have ridden our ebikes 1012 miles this year, and average 8.8 WH/mile, so we've used 9000WH. That's $1.17 USD. Add utility taxes, service fees, and we'll call it 5 dollars.

It's not worth the $500 for me to buy a solar panel setup, unless civilization were to collapse.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 05-17-20, 09:44 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Where I live we have the option of fossil fuel free electricity from renewal resources; it adds a tiny bit extra to the bill each month. I do that and would do it regardless of using an e-bike. My great-grandfather died from black lung from working in coal.
Old 05-17-20, 05:29 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I suspect that a lot of the power, where I am, is wind-generated. However, when touring, solar is the way I charge.

I am working on another generation of my solar tour bike. It is nowhere near done yet.
Old 05-18-20, 12:37 PM
Timjohn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well that's a good question. I use 2 panels at 100 watts each and this recharges my ebike in about 4-5 hrs (14 Ah battery at 36 volts - 504 Wh) so this begs a question. Was it cost effective? Never. It costs me about $900 (CAN) to setup this system and maybe 6 cents worth of home electricity to charge the battery. But if the power ever goes down, I have the ability to do more than just charge a battery for transportation. I can run my internet (if this doesn't go down with a city wide power failure), I can charge my cell phone, I can charge my other devices such as tablets and run a computer. So it was constructed with this in mind as well. BTW Vancouver area is hydro electric.
Old 05-19-20, 05:45 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Wind energy and solar energy here in Denver.
Old 05-22-20, 04:16 PM
Bluesfrog

Robert C could you start a thread on your build? You know, the parts list, methods of assembly, things you have solved, and things to be solved. Thanks and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-22-20, 04:21 PM
Bluesfrog

I started this just to make the vegan, global warming nimrods start to think. We really haven't figured out how to hear the screams of the vegetables as their bodies are ripped apart just so the vegans can taste the bodies of countless vegetables. And if it is bad to eat meat why are animals made of it??? Rhetorically speaking of course. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-31-20, 04:34 PM
eKabuki

Bikes: Pedego Interceptor 26", Schwinn Santis with a rear hub direct drive conversion. Cannondale Quick 4.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I just wondered if you know from where your electricity comes? Ours comes from hydroelectric and coal fired plants. If I'm saving on the environment how is that? My power is generated somewhere? I would like to set up a generating source like solar/wind for a battery set in the basement. My solar panels would make use of rare earth and I always thought that oil and rare earth were some compelling reasons for being in Afghanistan. So is charging our electric bikes a saving on the environment??? Be Well, Bluesfrog.
By the end of 2020, Dominion will have 3 megawatts of wind energy in my area and at the end of 2022 they plan to have 3,000 megawatts available. Right now I charge my ebikes at work so for me its free energy and in a couple years it might be guilt free energy.
Old 06-02-20, 03:10 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I use 88 potatoes in a series to get 44 volts to charge my 36 volt battery.
Old 06-04-20, 02:21 PM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Electric motors are much more efficient than gas powered engines so you are helping out in that sense.

I think I read a gas engine(in a car) loses 70 percent of it's energy as heat and an electric is close to 100 percent efficient.

Another stat I saw somewhere, maybe this site, is that in a car 85 percent of the energy goes towards moving the car. With a bike it is reverse, 85 percent goes towards moving the passenger.
Likes For danh123:
Old 06-06-20, 10:54 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
What does saving the environment have to do with owning/operating e-trike? :-)
I have it purely for enjoyment and running local errands (I dont even own a car....my wife does).
FYI I actually do charge mine from a solar charge station that is attached to the south side of my house,
The panel materials are 90% silicon substrates (Si is the 2nd most abundant element on earth). 5% aluminum (way up there as well), glass, and some copper.
Not a lick of rare earths are used in most panels.

Last edited by pullings; 06-06-20 at 11:00 PM.
Likes For pullings:
Old 06-07-20, 11:13 AM
Bluesfrog

OK. Thanks for all the info. I learned a lot. Be Well, Bluesfrog.