Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-23-17, 11:52 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Went to the bike store the other day and ran across a rather fascinating bike, with fatter tires and a rigid aluminum frame, BMX style bars and mountain gearing. Took it for a couple mile test spin and holy crap I'm impressed! It doesn't feel too slow (I expected kinda sluggish results from a 27.5x2.3 tire) and it handles really well. I ended up putting one on layaway, I can't wait to get it out and play with it!
Old 01-24-17, 01:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The current versions of most Specialized Rolls appear to be descended from the Specialized Globe comfort hybrids they marketed for a few years during the mid to late 2000s. It looks similar to the Globe Carmel, but with fatter, softer tires rather than the heavy spring suspension fork. Relaxed geometry, long chain stay, foot forward crank. Good bike for casual rides on rough pavement, modest gravel/chat trails, multi use paths. The 650b tires may be a better match to that bike than the 700c wheels on the Globe bikes.

Most folks would probably consider those good for up to 20 miles, but I've ridden mine up to 60 miles in a day, with breaks every 10-20 miles. I mostly use mine for errands and casual rides on days when my back and neck are aching. Very comfortable bikes for a 10-12 mph or so average speed.

Not to be confused with the old Globe Roll, which was a single speed with flip-flop hub, a low flat bar and aggressive riding position.
Old 01-27-17, 08:02 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Specialized Roll is kind of a 27.5 urban MTB rig.

It compares to the Raleigh Redux which is aimed at the same market.

On the 29er side, you have the Giant ToughRoad SLR and the Marin Muirwoods.

Basically MTBs redesigned for everyday riding.
Old 02-01-17, 10:04 AM
jimrno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Roll is a great beach bike too

I just moved from the Washington coast, where low tide leaves vast hard packed sand beaches.
I found that the knobs on knobby tires on fat bikes dig into the sand too much, making for hard pedaling.

However, the smooth 2.3 tires on the Roll skim over the hard sand, hardly make a dent.
Bonus is they give good flotation traction on soft trails in the woods and awesome contact patch for cornering on pavement. Front tire washouts almost never happen.

As an old guy with a stiff back and sore wrists, the upright bars and cushy tires are much appreciated.

I have been riding classic steel MTB's with street tires for years, but the Roll really puts a smile on my face.
Likes For jimrno:
Old 02-01-17, 10:38 AM
stoplight

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
buddy of mine is riding an old Giant Rincon and is in the market for a new bike, stats age 65, 300 pounder, down 102 pounds since changing his diet and riding. He test drove the Spec Roll on Sunday. He loved it!!!! I am tempted to test it as well....looks like a very comfortable ride.
Old 02-07-17, 04:57 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stoplight
buddy of mine is riding an old Giant Rincon and is in the market for a new bike, stats age 65, 300 pounder, down 102 pounds since changing his diet and riding. He test drove the Spec Roll on Sunday. He loved it!!!! I am tempted to test it as well....looks like a very comfortable ride.
What was your take on it? Did your buddy end up getting one?
Old 02-07-17, 05:01 PM
dbrown417

Bikes: 77 Schwinn LeTour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my eye on a Roll and will likely buy one in the next few weeks. I've been dealing with some back issues (lumbar and thoracic) so I can't do the aggressive stanced geometry anymore. The upright stance, along with the fat tires and supportive seat (shock-absorbing seat post too) make for a comfortable ride that doesn't bother my back at all.

The bmx-style bars are cool looking, but I'll likely swap them for some medium riser bars to bring my hands down just a bit. My goal is a beefy all-purpose bike, suitable for cruising, commuting, or an occasional trail. I'll be sure to post a review if/when I get one soon.
Old 02-12-17, 07:13 PM
stoplight

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
What was your take on it? Did your buddy end up getting one?

He did and bought his wife the "pass through" model. I rode with him on Friday about 13 miles. Sharp bike!!! I rode it around the parking lot and its very relaxed fit bike but not so relaxed you cannot get power to the pedals. The component package is what you would expect for a 550.00 dollar bike. The disc brakes are a bit small for my taste but I am influenced by mountain biking but they stop the bike with plenty to spare. I did not do a spoke count but guessing 36. The shock absorbing seat post is a gimmick and will eventually fail but I doubt he even notice when it does. He did upgrade the pedals to welgo bmx style for grip, he may change the seat and grips but time will tell. Of course not built for speed but like any bike you get out of it what you put in so getting a good workout is at your fingertips. It is a beefy, solid bike with decent components. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 for a bike in that class.

Last edited by stoplight; 02-12-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 07:20 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stoplight
He did and bought his wife the "pass through" model. I rode with him on Friday about 13 miles. Sharp bike!!! I rode it around the parking lot and its very relaxed fit bike but not so relaxed you cannot get power to the pedals. The component package is what you would expect for a 550.00 dollar bike. The brake discs are a bit small for my taste but I am influenced by mountain biking but they stop the bike with plenty to spare. I did not do a spoke count but guessing 36. He did upgrade the pedals to welgo bmx style for grip, he may change the seat and grips but time will tell. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 for a bike in that class.
Sweet. I was looking at one today. Seems like a really cool bike. I wanted to ride on it, but I don't think I would fit, don't think they come big enough for me.

However I think I did sell a lady on one today after talking to her about at the shop. She was riding it around and was falling in love with it when I left.
Old 02-16-17, 12:39 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I've only put 60 miles on mine so far but I absolutely love it! I love the upright riding position, and this thing scrambles up hills so much better than my district. It is a mite slower than the district, but the ride is so nimble and comfortable it makes up for it. The suspension seat is a gimmick though, it barely ever actually moves.
Old 02-16-17, 05:02 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I plan on giving one a try this weekend. According to the size chart, I'm too big for the L frame. (I'might 6'6") But I'm gonna try it anyways. I really like the Upright sitting position, just worried my wife will continue to leave me in the dust when we ride if I get one. I have a hard time keeping up with her on my Crosstrail, she has a Jamis Citizen 2. I think it has a lot to do with her skinny tires and me out weighing her by over 100lbs.
Old 02-16-17, 03:50 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
It's a really nice townie .
I hope Trek offers their version in 2018 .
Old 02-16-17, 04:54 PM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
It's a really nice townie .
I hope Trek offers their version in 2018 .
Trek currently owns Electra, which makes the Townie and other bikes. So not sure they would want to make a bike that is a direct competitor to themselves. But what do I know?

My LBS has both the Roll and Townie in stock. I'll take a look at them both side by side, see how close they really are.
Old 02-16-17, 11:42 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
... wasn't referring to the Electra Townie .
Just was saying the Roll is a nice bike for riding around town .
I don't think Trek currently offers a 650b hybrid .
Old 02-17-17, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The Townie is a much more relaxed bike, perfect for flat terrain. You can put your feet flat on the ground without leaving the saddle. But any hill climbs or long inclines will feel like serious work.

On the other hand, a fellow I occasionally ride with just turned 69, 10 years older than me, and he has no trouble with longer rides and moderate hills on his Townie. He dresses his up for the holidays, and keeps it lighted and decorated for Halloween through Christmas. No trouble with our group ride pace of 12-14 mph. But he's stronger and fitter than many folks his age, probably in better shape than I am!

The Specialized Roll isn't quite as relaxed, more of a cross between a comfort hybrid and a mountain bike. You may be able to put one foot down while seated (be careful with this on slick pavement). It should be fine for moderate hill climbs.

I often ride my similarly designed Globe Carmel on 20 mile rides, including moderate hills, and find it very comfortable and enjoyable. In fact I've been riding it exclusively the past couple of weeks after a crash at the beginning of February. Banged up my ribs pretty badly and the rigid fork mountain bike I was riding isn't comfortable for now. The relaxed Globe bike is perfect for staying in shape while gradually recovering from that injury. And I adjusted the handlebars a bit higher than usual for now. I rode it 20 miles Thursday evening, including a stop for groceries at the halfway point. I usually average about 12 mph on it, but was a slower 10.5 mph this week due to the injury -- I'm trying to avoid straining the rib muscles.
Old 02-17-17, 07:11 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
... wasn't referring to the Electra Townie .
Just was saying the Roll is a nice bike for riding around town .
I don't think Trek currently offers a 650b hybrid .
My mistake.

I assumed you meant the Townie brand bike. It was on my mind as I was just reading up on them earlier that day or the day before.
Old 02-21-17, 08:26 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a novice when it comes to specs, but is the Roll City really $350 better than the Sport EQ?
Old 02-21-17, 08:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
The roll is comfort cruiser bike...with a 67 degree seat tube angle it's going to tougher to pedal up hills.
Old 02-21-17, 09:02 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The roll is comfort cruiser bike...with a 67 degree seat tube angle it's going to tougher to pedal up hills.
For me, not really an issue. I live in a really flat area in Florida.

But I was looking at those specs and wonder what you really get for the extra $350 in bike levels. Mostly a learning experience for me here. Ad I'm new to specs.
Old 02-23-17, 12:42 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Aluminum fork instead of steel fork. Disc Brakes instead of rim brakes. 10 speeds instead of 9 speeds. Better drivetrain and brake components.
Old 02-24-17, 06:59 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Mostly a learning experience for me here. Ad I'm new to specs.
A good exercise would be stop by the Bike shop, sit on one, look it over. No harm in that.

-Snuts-
Old 02-24-17, 07:06 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
A good exercise would be stop by the Bike shop, sit on one, look it over. No harm in that.

-Snuts-
Unfortunately they don't have the higher end ones to check out. Entry level and a sport as of now, unless they sold since last weekend.

But I did try them out, I dig them. Really intrested in the higher end for durably
Old 02-24-17, 07:41 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I understand your question better now.
Durability, I believe both group sets would be very durable. More of a personal preference. I'm not a fan of 1 X yet. Still a 3 X fan. Yet I love my latest step up to hydraulic brakes. I can't see a "real" need in Florida for hydraulic over cable discs.

But, cyclist like any hobby buy what your preference seeks.

Hope this helps.

-Snuts-
Old 03-11-17, 01:21 PM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Roll is a fun bike! Lots of miles on mine already.

More info on these threads:
https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...omp-elite.html
2016 Specialized Roll- Mtbr.com
Old 03-11-17, 01:27 PM
fourwinds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LBS where I saw a Roll Sport said with the wide flat tires it was the best thing for gravel roads, but with no knobs you can't do any offroad at all, and with 2 inch wide tires there's too much resistance so not good for roads either. Seemed a little to "Specialized" for my needs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.