Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

30mm stem, anyone?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

30mm stem, anyone?

Old 02-25-20, 02:21 PM
  #1  
eyemkeith
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eyemkeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 152

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
30mm stem, anyone?

Hi all.


Apologies if this post isn't in the right category, first off. I'm sure it'll move if necessary.


That said, I've got a 1992 Bridgestone XO-2, which I love. The former owner had some straight mountain bike bars on it, which I immediately changed to some sexy, sexy mustache bars. It's my first time with those type of bars and I have to say, I do not hate them.


Anyway, to go along with them, I've got a Nitto Technomic 50mm stem, to keep the reach short and thus accommodating the bars. It's good, but my ptaradactyl arms could use a nudge more. I started looking around for a, say, 30mm stem, which I think would do me nicely and found out I was looking for a freaking unicorn. There is one I found that would help me out, from Analogue Cycles --a 30mm stem they call a w(Right) stem for $195 (ouch).https://www.analogcycles.com/product...g-wright-stem/


So, yeah, there has got to be a cheaper alternative that I'm just not thinking of. I'm hoping some of you fine people might know.


Thanks in advance,


Keith.
eyemkeith is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 02:34 PM
  #2  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5,999

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 459 Times in 325 Posts
Something like a steel stem on an old Raleigh Sports might be 30mm. I'll have to measure mine. They're plentiful if you know where to look, probably very cheap, and strong but not very pretty.
thumpism is online now  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-25-20, 02:37 PM
  #3  
Feldman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I'd get a quill adaptor from $20-$50 depending on brand and height (Velo Orange makes a good one at the low end of that range) and a 35mm threadless stem, your LBS can easily get the Origin8 brand. Problem solved on the short side of $100. Quill adaptors--I know they don't look "vintage" or "classic," but they make it possible to fit a bike accurately, relatively inexpensively, and changing a threadless stem with a removable front plate is so easy...........................
Feldman is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 03:05 PM
  #4  
tricky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman View Post
I'd get a quill adaptor from $20-$50 depending on brand and height (Velo Orange makes a good one at the low end of that range) and a 35mm threadless stem, your LBS can easily get the Origin8 brand. Problem solved on the short side of $100. Quill adaptors--I know they don't look "vintage" or "classic," but they make it possible to fit a bike accurately, relatively inexpensively, and changing a threadless stem with a removable front plate is so easy...........................
Yes and then if you still don't like the look of the adapter once you dial in the fit and, you can get a quill stem that matches the height and length of the threadless setup.
tricky is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 06:48 PM
  #5  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5,999

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 459 Times in 325 Posts
If you can find one, which is the whole problem to begin with. I measured the Sports stem and it's 35mm, probably as short a reach on a tallish 22.2 quill stem as you're likely to find. Good luck!
thumpism is online now  
Old 02-25-20, 09:39 PM
  #6  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 25,214

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 532 Posts
Keep in mind the Sports stem only accepts 15/16" handlebars, which locks you down to the factory North Roads and a few other obscure Raleigh handlebars.

A Chinese clone of the Sports stem in 25.4 was available from J&B Importers about 10 years ago. I can't bring it up in a Google search right now, but it may still be listed in their catalog.

If you can make do with 40mm, this might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Pisto.../dp/B003CO9E94

Kalin also makes a much more elegant 40mm stem - they're also available in all-aluminum, but usually used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000039748716.html

Pretty sure you can't get any shorter than this though!
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/tradit...handlebar-stem

-Kurt
__________________







cudak888 is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 09:47 PM
  #7  
verktyg 
verktyg
 
verktyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,355

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 238 Posts
SR made some shorties in the early 70's. I may have one. I'll have to dig through my junk box.

verktyg
__________________
Things aren't always what they seem... Don't believe everything you think!

Chas. ;-)
verktyg is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 09:59 PM
  #8  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,012
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 177 Posts
Shortest "normal" I've ever seen is a French-sized (22.0) quill Belleri I have in the shop that's a 45mm reach with the pinch bolt at the bottom of the bar clamp. It has the classic fail-point, though, no roundout drilled at the top of the quill split.

With that ste,, there's only 8-10ish mm behind the back of the nut and the quill itself, so I can't imagine anyone making something much shorter than 40mm. If you went with a rear-mount (upward threaded) pinch bolt, I think you could potentially get down to 20mm?
__________________
███████████████

francophile is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 04:17 AM
  #9  
JaccoW
Tinkerer
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,477

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 220 Posts
All from this list:
JaccoW is offline  
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-26-20, 10:01 AM
  #10  
eyemkeith
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eyemkeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 152

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Keep in mind the Sports stem only accepts 15/16" handlebars, which locks you down to the factory North Roads and a few other obscure Raleigh handlebars.

A Chinese clone of the Sports stem in 25.4 was available from J&B Importers about 10 years ago. I can't bring it up in a Google search right now, but it may still be listed in their catalog.

If you can make do with 40mm, this might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Pisto.../dp/B003CO9E94

Kalin also makes a much more elegant 40mm stem - they're also available in all-aluminum, but usually used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000039748716.html

Pretty sure you can't get any shorter than this though!
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/tradit...handlebar-stem

-Kurt

Wow. Thanks! I knew I was missing something. That Sunlilte, the first one you listed, looks good to me. My Origin 8 bars, though, are 26.0. That stem says it has a 25.4 clamp. Does that mean I'd have to replace my bars as well?
eyemkeith is offline  
Likes For eyemkeith:
Old 02-26-20, 12:58 PM
  #11  
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman
 
kingsting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Land of Three Mile Island
Posts: 650

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
How about a BMX stem? Some of these are pretty short.
kingsting is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 01:40 PM
  #12  
USAZorro
SeŮor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,674

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 126 Posts
Here.

You're welcome
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 01:59 PM
  #13  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,010

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 475 Posts
I had a 40mm quill stem once:

__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-27-20, 01:46 PM
  #14  
eyemkeith
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eyemkeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 152

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm still trying to hit the mark, though. While some of the suggestions are good in terms of reach, they're so tall (300mm) my bars would be even with my teeth, which, I'm told, is not a good look for me. And the stem adapters -" to 1 1/8", while a good idea, are also either too short or too tall (again, 300mm). If I could find a solution that was in the 225mm range, I would go with that.

Ideally, I'd like a 225mm tall quill stem with 26.0 clamp (my origin8 mustache bars are 26.0, as are the SOMA Portolo bars I'd like to try) and a 40mm, or less, reach. The stem i currently have -- a Nitto Technomic Road Quill Stem: 50mm; 72 Deg 225mm Quill; 1"; 26.0 -- is nearly perfect, if it was a cenimeter shorter or so.

Am I looking for a unicorn? Feels like I'm looking for a unicorn.

Or should I just get an adjustable stem? Would that even work for what I'm trying to accomplish?
eyemkeith is offline  
Old 02-27-20, 06:49 PM
  #15  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5,999

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 459 Times in 325 Posts
Go adjustable to see if you can get into the riding position you like, then look for the fixed stem that gives you that. I have a couple of adjustables in my fleet. They might look clunky but they work.
thumpism is online now  
Old 02-27-20, 06:54 PM
  #16  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 25,214

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm still trying to hit the mark, though. While some of the suggestions are good in terms of reach, they're so tall (300mm) my bars would be even with my teeth, which, I'm told, is not a good look for me. And the stem adapters -" to 1 1/8", while a good idea, are also either too short or too tall (again, 300mm). If I could find a solution that was in the 225mm range, I would go with that.

Ideally, I'd like a 225mm tall quill stem with 26.0 clamp (my origin8 mustache bars are 26.0, as are the SOMA Portolo bars I'd like to try) and a 40mm, or less, reach. The stem i currently have -- a Nitto Technomic Road Quill Stem: 50mm; 72 Deg 225mm Quill; 1"; 26.0 -- is nearly perfect, if it was a cenimeter shorter or so.
Finding this combo with a 26.0mm clamp may be the biggest difficulty - shortening the stem isn't.

If you have access to an angle grinder and tabletop belt sander, you can cut down most stems and fine-tune the angle of the cut until it is perfectly parallel with the angle of the wedge.

At worst, you'll probably have to get a shorter binder bolt from McMaster Carr (which, if properly chosen, will be equally as strong as the stock bolt provided with the stem - if not better).

-Kurt
__________________







cudak888 is offline  
Old 02-27-20, 09:01 PM
  #17  
bwilli88 
Senior Member
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,265

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse dingle speed, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 78 Raleigh Supercourse, 83 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 127 Posts
I can get these all day, any day. 2 piece aluminum clamp, SS stem. I will be in the States in May.

bwilli88 is offline  
Old 02-27-20, 09:03 PM
  #18  
eyemkeith
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eyemkeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 152

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Finding this combo with a 26.0mm clamp may be the biggest difficulty - shortening the stem isn't.

If you have access to an angle grinder and tabletop belt sander, you can cut down most stems and fine-tune the angle of the cut until it is perfectly parallel with the angle of the wedge.

At worst, you'll probably have to get a shorter binder bolt from McMaster Carr (which, if properly chosen, will be equally as strong as the stock bolt provided with the stem - if not better).

-Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. I appreciate the confidence in my mechanical ability, unwarranted as it may be. If I pick up a tool, thereís a 50 percent chance itís going to end up in my eye.
eyemkeith is offline  
Old 02-27-20, 09:09 PM
  #19  
bwilli88 
Senior Member
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,265

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse dingle speed, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 78 Raleigh Supercourse, 83 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 127 Posts
Here is another one.

bwilli88 is offline  
Old 02-27-20, 10:20 PM
  #20  
smallpox champ
Senior Member
 
smallpox champ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152

Bikes: '84 specialized expedition, '87 specialized sirrus, '84 specialized stumpjumper sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts
Crust bikes has some quill stems made by Nitto, not cheap, but less than the Analog w(Right):

https://crustbikes.com/products/nitto-26-0-bj-stem/


smallpox champ is offline  
Likes For smallpox champ:
Old 02-28-20, 06:19 AM
  #21  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 25,214

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by smallpox champ View Post
Crust bikes has some quill stems made by Nitto, not cheap, but less than the Analog w(Right):

https://crustbikes.com/products/nitto-26-0-bj-stem/
Definitely looks like the OP's best plug-and-play option for a 26.0 clamp diameter.

-Kurt
__________________







cudak888 is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 04:24 PM
  #22  
tricky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 77 Posts
eyemkeith Something to consider: a lot of mustache bars have a lot of forward sweep that force you into odd stem lengths. That was exactly the reason why I took one off my bike almost immediately after installing it. Stuff like the Soma Sparrow has a similar look but might have less reach compared to your bar. I agree old school mustache bars look cool, but I don't find them very practical!
tricky is offline  
Likes For tricky:
Old 02-28-20, 08:13 PM
  #23  
eyemkeith
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eyemkeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 152

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
eyemkeith Something to consider: a lot of mustache bars have a lot of forward sweep that force you into odd stem lengths. That was exactly the reason why I took one off my bike almost immediately after installing it. Stuff like the Soma Sparrow has a similar look but might have less reach compared to your bar. I agree old school mustache bars look cool, but I don't find them very practical!

that is a good point, actually. Iíve been infatuated with the bars since I got the bike a year ago. possibly other bars wouldnít require so much commitment.

on another bike some time ago I had some on-one midge bars I also liked a lot and I had been considering the Soma Portola bars https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/portola-bar which are quite similar.
eyemkeith is offline  
Likes For eyemkeith:
Old 03-02-20, 06:25 PM
  #24  
tricky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith View Post
that is a good point, actually. Iíve been infatuated with the bars since I got the bike a year ago. possibly other bars wouldnít require so much commitment.

on another bike some time ago I had some on-one midge bars I also liked a lot and I had been considering the Soma Portola bars https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/portola-bar which are quite similar.
I don't want to take the wind out of your mustache bar sail! You might be able to make the bar work with that short stem. Let us know how it goes.
tricky is offline  
Likes For tricky:
Old 03-09-20, 05:45 AM
  #25  
bwilli88 
Senior Member
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,265

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse dingle speed, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 78 Raleigh Supercourse, 83 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 127 Posts
I can get these for $5 anytime.
bwilli88 is offline  
Likes For bwilli88:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.