Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Kool Lemon paint match

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-24-20, 03:05 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

Looking to touch up the 1972 Schwinn Super Sport frame and fork I'm working on, can anyone direct me to the Pantone numbers, or a source for a close match to the original, please. I found an ebay seller with Koolest Colors, but its truly pricey, and any less costly alternatives are hopefully in someone's knowledge base, here.

Basic Testors yellow enamel for scale models, is way to dark, and not nearly as bright as the Schwinn lacquer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-24-20 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 03:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,295 Times in 3,631 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Looking to touch up the 1972 Schwinn Super Sport frame and fork I'm working on, can anyone direct me to the Pantone numbers, or a source for a close match to the original, please. I found an ebay seller with Koolest Colors, but its truly pricey, and any less costly alternatives are hopefully in someone's knowledge base, here.

Basic Testors yellow enamel for scale models, is way to dark, and not nearly as bright as the Schwinn lacquer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
I know nothing about this and don't have an artistic bone in my body, but I do know some here mix their own, maybe add some silver or white, google should be your friend Micheals or similar craft store should have more selection as well.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-24-20, 03:51 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 187 Posts
I wonder if what is an exact match for paint in 1972 would match today due to fading,etc. You may need to just "trial-and-error" a custom match anyway with what you can easily find now. (?).
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 04-24-20, 04:18 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 401 Posts
There is a schwinn specific bicycle forum. There's got to be some guru on there who knows way too much about schwinns and could help you out.
Likes For Piff:
Old 04-24-20, 06:09 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Try this site:

https://www.koolestuff.com/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOL-LEMON-...-/192245148559
Likes For kunsunoke:
Old 04-25-20, 09:31 AM
Fat Tire Trader 

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
My local art store (closed for corona) sells Montana spray paints. They make more colors in spray cans than any other company I have seen. I have successfully used their paint to repair old paint jobs. Take a look https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/

If you do find something that is a perfect match, or close. I'd like to hear what you find. I'd like to fix the paint on my Heavy Duty.

Thanks,
Chris
Likes For Fat Tire Trader:
Old 04-25-20, 06:44 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Thanks all, I found the sites recommended, and visited them to just get an idea as to what was there.

merziac , I'm the same, only thing I can draw is flies, and color coordination is much like my own physical abilities, uncoordinated. I have a few Testors bottles to try and mix up something. Testors website has more offerings, including acrylics and automotive lacquers. I'll get my wife to help me out, she has the fashion and color sense, I lack.

Bill

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 04-25-20, 06:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,295 Times in 3,631 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Thanks all, I found the sites recommended, and visited them to just get an idea as to what was there.

merziac , I'm the same, only thing I can draw is flies, and color coordination is much like my own physical abilities, uncoordinated. I have a few Testors bottles to try and mix up something. Testors website has more offerings, including acrylics and automotive lacquers. I'll get my wife to help me out, she has the fashion and color sense, I lack.

Bill
You may find an unknown skill if you apply yourself accordingly, that's the hard part, pushing outside your comfort zone when you have decided what that is.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-25-20, 06:54 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by merziac
You may find an unknown skill if you apply yourself accordingly, that's the hard part, pushing outside your comfort zone when you have decided what that is.
Yep, I think I need a DI glaring at me to really get me moving......

Bill