Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

New A&S Sticky Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 07:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts

Wearing head/earphones. Helmets have their own sticky. This topis is worthy of one as well. Here is latest thread in General:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...eadphones.html

Like dog threads, they usually end badly.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-14-20, 08:26 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I second this great idea.
Old 05-15-20, 07:13 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
I have sent it to the mods for review
Old 05-17-20, 06:47 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
The staff has determined that despite the fact this is a familiar topic and is usually beaten to death, there’s just no compelling reason to make a sticky for it. As usual, if a user finds a topic tiresome they should just move on and find another thread to their liking.
Old 05-17-20, 09:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wearing head/earphones. Helmets have their own sticky. This topic is worthy of one as well. Here is latest thread in General:

Like dog threads, they usually end badly[.
Originally Posted by BillyD
The staff has determined that despite the fact this is a familiar topic and is usually beaten to death, there’s just no compelling reason to make a sticky for it.

As usual, if a user finds a topic tiresome they should just move on and find another thread to their liking.
Speaking of stickies, there was a unique feature of the Fifty-Plus Forum that IMO deserved a sticky:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
”50+ the way that it used to be”

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides".

I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, @billydonn [now deceased] was on that one

Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts
… Myself and a few other Fifty-Plus subscribers [including the Kentons] have been together on a few, some up to about four of the preceding eight [Fifty-Plus Annual] rides, but it seems that the idea of Fifty-Plus Annual Rides has been waning recently
FYA, there is a Fifty-Plus thread, "A Chronicle of 50+ Annual Rides" that lists all the participants, venues, and postings of those gatherings. It used to be a “sticky” but was mysteriously and unceremoniously dumped.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-17-20 at 10:08 AM. Reason: addeed quote by indyfabz
Old 05-17-20, 09:50 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wearing head/earphones. Helmets have their own sticky. This topic is worthy of one as well. Here is latest thread in General:

Like dog threads, they usually end badly.
I don’t bother to respond to popcorn threads about listening to audio devices while riding, but I have posted about the.value of listening
FYA, I previously posted to a now-closed thread:
...For me the heady days on the Forums were from about 2008 to 2016, in particular participating in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, which have since disappeared.

I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
and https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...eadphones.html

PS: Thread has been closed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-17-20 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added PS