Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Steel Road Bike to Choose?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-20, 08:14 AM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Has anyone heard of :

Motobecane Gran Premio COMP LTD
Shimano 30 Speed
Reynolds High Grade Steel Road Bikes

Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio COMP

or?

Masi Bikes

I was thinking of the Strada. I don't want spend much more then a $1,000.

https://masibikes.com/collections/cl...ts/strada-2019

I was wondering what people on here think of these road bikes. I have made up my mind if I got a new one, I would want a steel one. I am just looking for basic. I don't race, I am not a speed demon, it is more a road bike for a leisure ride. I got my hybrid but I would like the feel of the road bike once in a while even if I might not even be going hardly any faster on it then my hybrid. I prefer steel road bikes for atheistic reasons and because I read less bumpy ride and that steel is more durable. I like the look of steel better than aluminum and carbon, I think they just look atheistically better. I prefer more a classic road bike look.

Last edited by littleArnold; 07-12-20 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 09:18 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
My choice is the Masi. Great looking bike. Steel, Campy gear. I wonder when they will be availavble ?
Old 07-12-20, 09:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Looks like they're both out of stock, so you have all the time in the world to choose, sadly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-12-20, 10:06 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Bike offerings are low cuz of covid. Check out ebay...for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Steel-...oAAOSwNd1eGWLr
Old 07-13-20, 03:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
That BD bike is like 3 drivetrain generations old...they list some old tech, but even that is usually too old for BD to still stock(even shortly pre covid).

this is in stock in 1 size.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...emio_elite.htm
Old 07-13-20, 03:29 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Would you be open to used bikes? Or vintage bikes? Doesn't get more classic than a road bike with a quill stem.
Old 07-14-20, 08:51 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Would you be open to used bikes? Or vintage bikes? Doesn't get more classic than a road bike with a quill stem.
I like a lot of he older bikes and would be very open to vintage bikes. I actually would prefer a vintage bike over a new one, they look more classier and stylish in my opinion. I just like the way the road bikes use to look from the 60's, 70's, early 80's.

...Biggest problem I have with vintage is getting something to fit me. I am only like 5' 5" with a 24" inseem, maybe 25" with shoes on. I am built like a bulldog. I am short and stocky very muscular, broad shouldered, long torso, very short legs lol. According to online bike measurements on websites I am either an XS or XXS size for a bike. I have a 26" Schwinn Mountain Bike and I actually need to stand slightly on my toes when I am sitting on the high beam. I thought about getting a Boys Varsity, but I am not sure if the 24" wheels would have a huge impact on speed. Then again I just want a road bike, I am not that interested in it being really any faster than my Hybrid or Mountain Bike I ride.
Old 07-14-20, 09:09 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
I like a lot of he older bikes and would be very open to vintage bikes. I actually would prefer a vintage bike over a new one, they look more classier and stylish in my opinion. I just like the way the road bikes use to look from the 60's, 70's, early 80's.

...Biggest problem I have with vintage is getting something to fit me. I am only like 5' 5" with a 24" inseem, maybe 25" with shoes on. I am built like a bulldog. I am short and stocky very muscular, broad shouldered, long torso, very short legs lol. According to online bike measurements on websites I am either an XS or XXS size for a bike. I have a 26" Schwinn Mountain Bike and I actually need to stand slightly on my toes when I am sitting on the high beam. I thought about getting a Boys Varsity, but I am not sure if the 24" wheels would have a huge impact on speed. Then again I just want a road bike, I am not that interested in it being really any faster than my Hybrid or Mountain Bike I ride.
You may have some luck asking in the Classic & Vintage subforum for a frame that would suit you. That frame might possibly be a mixte, to eliminate a standover height problem, but still give you the top tube length you need.
Old 07-14-20, 10:31 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Check out pretty much any of the All City bikes.
the Zig Zag is the flagship road bike, but take a look at the Space Horse, Mr. Pink, and the Cosmic Stallion.
Old 07-14-20, 10:45 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
If you're up for an adventure, you could buy a steel frameset and learn to build it up yourself.

If not, there are a lot of good options you could likely find used locally or on ebay. Brands like bianchi come to mind, though everyone had steel bikes in the 90's and 2000's. Some compatibility issues along the way so feel free to ask on here or on C&V as someone else recommended.

I'm very biased, but I think it would be awesome to start with a used bike or frameset and build it up yourself with more modern parts. You'll learn a lot along the way.
This is probably older than you want to go, but I'm just finishing this up. The frameset is from 84.

Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 07-14-20, 11:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
If you're up for an adventure, you could buy a steel frameset and learn to build it up yourself.

If not, there are a lot of good options you could likely find used locally or on ebay. Brands like bianchi come to mind, though everyone had steel bikes in the 90's and 2000's. Some compatibility issues along the way so feel free to ask on here or on C&V as someone else recommended.

I'm very biased, but I think it would be awesome to start with a used bike or frameset and build it up yourself with more modern parts. You'll learn a lot along the way.
This is probably older than you want to go, but I'm just finishing this up. The frameset is from 84.
Yeah, honestly, no bike will ever feel more truly YOUR BIKE than one you've built up.

Back in 2007, I decided I wanted a steel bike made with Columbus MAX tubes, but built with, as they say "All Mod Cons". I found one on Ebay, and had it stripped and painted a beautiful red with white highlights in all the pantographing. I bought a Chris King headset and Phil Wood bottom bracket, and had a local LBS install both. I spent a couple weeks finding the whole drivetrain, shifters, brakes, from the last generation of polished aluminum Chorus (2006, I think). Everything on the bike is a piece I chose, and almost all of them I installed myself. It's really MY bike, more so than my other bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-15-20, 01:03 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
You may have some luck asking in the Classic & Vintage subforum for a frame that would suit you. That frame might possibly be a mixte, to eliminate a standover height problem, but still give you the top tube length you need.
It would be good to wander over to C&V. Lots of nerdy folks would love to help you find a good deal on a great ride.

Last edited by sced; 07-15-20 at 01:13 PM.