Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BB30, is it really better than Hollowtech & GXP?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Is BB30 better than Hollowtech & GXP?
BB30 is a huge improvement over Hollowtech & GXP.
16.67%
BB30 is better, but not worth the expense of a new crank. Use an adapter.
12.96%
BB30 is not better than Hollowtech & GXP, but works well.
44.44%
BB30 is having some issues, avoid it at all cost.
25.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 07:53 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

My next bike frame will include the BB30 bottom bracket. On paper, the BB30 cranks look like a true improvement over the external BB cranks I'm using now. However, aftermarket supply of BB30 cranks is limited. I like Shimano cranks and Shimano currently does not offer a BB30 crankset. I already own a Shimano crank that I would like to use.

Should I just install an adapter on the BB30 frame and keep my existing cranks until Shimano does make a BB30 model?
Old 07-28-11, 07:59 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
aren't the adapters non-removable (i seem to remember reading that here somewhere)?? either way you go I would think that modifying the frame will reduce resale down the road... I'd sell your shim crank and just get something else if you are dead set on bb30, just my take...

if the adapters are not a permanent solution then why not use em...
Old 07-28-11, 08:02 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Yes, the ideal of using an adapter is not plan A. I just want to consider my options before getting a new $300 crank.
Old 07-28-11, 08:03 AM
Quel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure about how the shimmed/adapted standard BB cranks work compared to BB30 ones. But on my tri bike I have a BB30 Force crank, and on my road bike I have a GXP Force crank. No difference in feel to me. If the adapter is removable in the future, I'd go with that.
Old 07-28-11, 08:04 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Why would the adaptors be non-removable? They are pressed in the same way that the bb30 bearings are pressed in aren't they?
Old 07-28-11, 09:43 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
aren't the adapters non-removable (i seem to remember reading that here somewhere)?? either way you go I would think that modifying the frame will reduce resale down the road... I'd sell your shim crank and just get something else if you are dead set on bb30, just my take...

if the adapters are not a permanent solution then why not use em...
The adapters can be pressed out.
Old 07-28-11, 09:50 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Wheels Mfg makes a set of shims that go on the end of GXP spindles to take out the extra space and adapt to BB30 bearing setups. I am running them now and have installed them on many other bikes. The are just shims so there is no bonding anything like there is with the press in shell adapters. I would highly advise going this route until you feel the need to buy a BB30 crank down the road.

FWIW - I am using it to adapt myQuarq GXP SRAM S975 ti my Aerocat R505 BB30 Bottom Bracket shell.

Old 07-28-11, 12:13 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I have seen two BB30 cranks go bad. It was a problem with the crank, not the BB. But I've never heard of a name brand English thread crank going bad. Strike 1.

Availability of cranks I want in BB30 is a problem. Strike 2.

Threaded BB's are very, very easy to install and maintain. BB30, not so. Strike 3.

BB30 is just a way of creating demand for captive-brand cranks.
Old 07-28-11, 02:32 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the wider bearings would create more friction.
Old 07-28-11, 02:41 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Wheels Mfg makes a set of shims that go on the end of GXP spindles to take out the extra space and adapt to BB30 bearing setups. I am running them now and have installed them on many other bikes. The are just shims so there is no bonding anything like there is with the press in shell adapters. I would highly advise going this route until you feel the need to buy a BB30 crank down the road.

FWIW - I am using it to adapt myQuarq GXP SRAM S975 ti my Aerocat R505 BB30 Bottom Bracket shell.
That sounds like a great solution. The adapters allow the BB30 bearings to remain, so some of the advantages of BB30 are realized. My Hollowtech crank will be heavier than the newer BB30 cranks, but I'm not a weight weenie. Thank you for the recommendation, Robert.
Old 07-28-11, 02:44 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It is interesting that Velonews' scientific testing showed that BB30 is no stiffer. I thought that was supposed to be a major benefit!
Old 07-28-11, 02:49 PM
sakonnetclip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I thought that was supposed to be a major benefit!
Hey, in a crowded field you've got to find some way to differentiate
Old 07-28-11, 03:02 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by sakonnetclip
Hey, in a crowded field you've got to find some way to differentiate
Wish this were true. I won't buy the marketing hype about why BB30 came out, but On the surface it seemed like a great idea. It's the proliferation of all of the other standards that drives me nuts.

I like BB30. Less parts. Lighter. Easier connections.

If you think that creating a new standard helps you with sales....then something tells me you have never entered a well populated and crowded market and tried to convert an entire world of consumers and OEM's over to a completely new standard....'cause....you know....they did it because they want'ed to stand apart.

Also along those lines who do you believe is the company who is trying to stand apart?

BB30 has some distinct "advantages" from my point of view as a "mechanic", retailer, team owner, etc. It also has some drawbacks.

Old 07-28-11, 04:00 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BB30 bearings are cheap and easy to replace. the driveside crankarm has a 30mm tube on it. simple.
Old 07-28-11, 04:50 PM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB30 is arguably better technically than an external BB systems, but it's kind of a moot point at the moment as the only decent BB30 crank on the market (Hollowgram) is hideously expensive and hard to get hold of.
Old 07-28-11, 05:00 PM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why settle for old technology. Here comes BB386 EVO: https://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/01/...ard-bb386-evo/

cycling technology is evolving as quickly as computer and cell phones
Old 07-28-11, 05:05 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Is BB30 any better than the old 70mm Italian bottom bracket with square taper spindle?
Old 07-28-11, 05:21 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I've got BB86, I think its the way Shimano can offer press fit bearings that are compatible with their cranks. Enduro make the bearings that the system runs, and I think it embodies the benefits of BB30 without the compatability issues.
Off topic, but IMHO hollowtech cranks make the bigger difference. The differance between square taper/octalink and hollowtech is huge: I can't see there being that much difference between HT2 and BB30 cranks apart from weight.
Old 07-28-11, 05:31 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by bbattle
Is BB30 any better than the old 70mm Italian bottom bracket with square taper spindle?
Yep. Lighter and stiffer, changes the available options for frame design.
Of course there's always the increase in bearing friction. Dura Ace track cranks are still in octalink.
Old 07-28-11, 06:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by scirocco
BB30 is arguably better technically than an external BB systems, but it's kind of a moot point at the moment as the only decent BB30 crank on the market (Hollowgram) is hideously expensive and hard to get hold of.
****************************************??? - living under a rock?

There are a wide array of BB30 cranks on the market from many manufacturers that are not super expensive that can be had easily.

Old 07-28-11, 06:53 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got BB30 on my Pedal Force QS3 over a year ago. The bearings would not stay seated. Creaky cracky noisy POS, BB30 is. I finally had the mechanic use Green Loctite to glue the bearings in. I have the carbon SLX cranks????

I'd much rather have threaded BB's.
Old 07-28-11, 07:13 PM
Minion1

https://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-bl...nk-test-4.html plus Sram's BB30 crankset. Ignoring price (!?!?!) this gives a good run down of some of the benefits and what the differences are between BB30 and non BB30. Shimano and Campag are 24 - 25 mm spindles.
Old 07-28-11, 07:47 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
No vote for my take that the external is fine but I really do not know about the BB30 as far as using one. For my take the Hollowtech is better and I already have to tools that is uses.......... not need to change.
Old 07-29-11, 04:21 AM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
****************************************??? - living under a rock?

There are a wide array of BB30 cranks on the market from many manufacturers that are not super expensive that can be had easily.
Well, I did use the word "decent". The thread title was about BB30 being better than Hollowtech. Name me one readily available BB30 crankset (including the rings, and excluding the Hollowgram) that shifts better, flexes less and generally performs better than DA7900 on Hollowtech.
Old 07-29-11, 06:55 AM
sakonnetclip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think that creating a new standard helps you with sales....then something tells me you have never entered a well populated and crowded market and tried to convert an entire world of consumers and OEM's over to a completely new standard....'cause....you know....they did it because they want'ed to stand apart.
Happens all the time, you may have thought you've created the best thing in the world, but even if there's really little end user value an investment has been made and there's still marketing value...so you hype the hell out of it. How about those silly little beans Specialized put in their frames?

Cannondale is a big bike company with aggressive plans to expand in Asia and an owner with expectations. You're not going to do it just by getting bikes in shops...They have a nice marketing pitch that's easy...BB30 = stiff and S.A.V.E = comfort. The fact that there are options for BB30 cranks shows their market share is pretty influential.

For the record, I like Cannondale a lot and ride a BB30 bike. Couldn't tell you if BB30 is really any better or not but I am surprised there isn't more out there in support of the standard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.