Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike mirror: Do you use one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 09:55 PM
clubber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Well the title says it. What brand/type and where you have it mounted and why.

I just bought an Evo Edge bar end mirror and so far its been great. It allows me to clearly see behind and beside me with a fairly wide field of view. It is mostly when I out with my 13 yr old niece to let her know what (group riders or individuals that don't give any warning ) is behind us especially when I personally have trouble turning myself.
Old 05-24-16, 10:12 PM
steeljunkie

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, Black Mountain Cycles Road, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm addicted to the mirror - can't ride without it. The one I use attaches to my glasses and looks totally nerdy, but it's sure nice to see what's behind.
Old 05-24-16, 10:56 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look mirror. Super helpful when crossing into traffic to turn left.
Old 05-24-16, 11:47 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yes, beer view mirror. Clips to my glasses. Don't leave home without it.
Old 05-24-16, 11:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I just received my italian road bike mirror and hopefully will install it tomorrow. I need to do some recabling and rewrapping of the bars anyway so it's a good time.
Old 05-25-16, 06:12 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How else would you be able to see the tears and crushed souls of those MUP tools you just smashed? Those kitted up fanboys certainly aren't worth turning around for.
Old 05-25-16, 06:28 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I can't even ride now without the mirror. Mine are mounted to my helmet, McGyver style. Quite nerdy, but who cares.
Old 05-25-16, 06:37 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
I've had one since I started riding roads with my club, but wasn't a constant user until I got hit recently by a pick-up truck mirror. I'm checking behind me all the time now to make sure I'm getting clearance. A handlebar mounted Zefal Cyclop from my LBS.
Old 05-25-16, 06:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I can't even ride now without the mirror. Mine are mounted to my helmet, McGyver style. Quite nerdy, but who cares.
I feel the same way but I had to take it off the helmet and put it on sunglasses, so that I could still be safe when I leave the helmet at home.
Old 05-25-16, 06:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
No, guess I'm just a risk taker.

Seriously, it's probably a good idea since Long Island roads have plenty of traffic. But I know enough routes that are less traveled. I do pay attention listening for cars and so far so good.
Old 05-25-16, 06:53 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I've had one since I started riding roads with my club, but wasn't a constant user until I got hit recently by a pick-up truck mirror. I'm checking behind me all the time now to make sure I'm getting clearance. A handlebar mounted Zefal Cyclop from my LBS.
So what do you do now when you see trouble approaching?
Old 05-25-16, 06:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Bar end mirror here. Sprinttech
Old 05-25-16, 06:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I wore eyeglass mirrors for many years but found them to be fragile. I was replacing them frequently. I find helmet mount mirrors to be much more durable and just as effective.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-25-16, 07:09 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
So what do you do now when you see trouble approaching?
I haven't had to cross that bridge yet, but the mental plan is to bail right into the grass or apron of the hwy if there is one.
Old 05-25-16, 07:18 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I haven't had to cross that bridge yet, but the mental plan is to bail right into the grass or apron of the hwy if there is one.
Good luck with that plan.
Old 05-25-16, 07:19 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I encounter a lot of riders on a local paved trail I go to -- I always appreciate the couples that are riding and have mirrors -- They always make way long before you're approaching and would yell "ON YOUR LEFT" -- It seems so useful, but I have no mirrors.

I just found out yesterday there are bears at this trail that quite often make their way onto the trail....if I'm fleeing from a bear, I almost don't want a mirror. Fortunately I've never run into a bear. My theory is I'd just have to be at full speed long enough to pass another rider, then he's their problem???
Old 05-25-16, 07:19 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I use Rearviz RearViz - Bicycle Rear Vision Mirror Worn on the Arm
Old 05-25-16, 07:21 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used one until I got hit. After seeing the vehicle in the mirror, I moved over as far to the right as I could (I'm usually over as far to the right as safely as I can be regardless of vehicles on the road). I don't know if he drifted over too far, or if I couldn't gauge just how close he was riding to the shoulder, but the point is that short of dismounting and climbing into the ditch immediately off the shoulder, there is nothing more I could have done to avoid being hit.

I do all the same things now as far as defensive riding goes, but instead of a mirror I use a superbly bright light, visible in daytime. I also plan my routes so that I avoid times and/or roads where I'll be riding into the Sun.
Old 05-25-16, 07:31 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yes, won't ride without one. I have a cheap plastic one from eBay. The counter-sink for the mount screw broke out so I put some super glue on the tabs and stuck it up in the bar end, it's glue to the bar tape inside the bar. I always mean to buy a better one but this one is working fine so it's not a major priority.

It's mounted in the left bar end.
Old 05-25-16, 07:38 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by silversx80
I used one until I got hit. After seeing the vehicle in the mirror, I moved over as far to the right as I could (I'm usually over as far to the right as safely as I can be regardless of vehicles on the road). I don't know if he drifted over too far, or if I couldn't gauge just how close he was riding to the shoulder, but the point is that short of dismounting and climbing into the ditch immediately off the shoulder, there is nothing more I could have done to avoid being hit.

I do all the same things now as far as defensive riding goes, but instead of a mirror I use a superbly bright light, visible in daytime. I also plan my routes so that I avoid times and/or roads where I'll be riding into the Sun.
This is what I was getting at with Deal4Fuji. You might see it coming, but there's little that can be done to avoid it in the time you have.

FTR, I have also been rear-ended by a passing truck.
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80

The two safety measures aren't mutually exclusive. You can have a light AND a mirror. Mirrors aren't just for seeing danger coming at you, but also for safe navigation on the road, changing lanes, turning, etc.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Having had C1 & C2 fused I need a mirror. I use an Italian Road Bike Mirror. Takes some adjustment to get just right but then it's unobtrusive and the glass (rather than plastic) gives a clear view.
Old 05-25-16, 07:42 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Recently I switched to Take A Look, after years of using a Third Eye. Both glasses mount.
Old 05-25-16, 07:42 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The two safety measures aren't mutually exclusive. You can have a light AND a mirror. Mirrors aren't just for seeing danger coming at you, but also for safe navigation on the road, changing lanes, turning, etc.
I agree they are useless in warning you of a pending collision. But they can assist when you want to make turns or change lanes. They allow you to be safer, not drivers.
Old 05-25-16, 07:45 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
This particular topic has been discussed ad noseum over at the commuting forum. Lots of people swear by them. A few claim they are useless and do nothing but add stress and anxiety seeing cars approaching from behind. Most agree that they do little to prevent getting hit from behind, but they increase your awareness of your surroundings.

I find them helpful when trying to get into the left turn lane in traffic. I can see the gap in the traffic where I can squeeze in without taking my eyes off of what's in front of me.

They are also useful when I see drivers behind me perhaps contemplating on squeezing a pass without moving over to the left. In this case I might move closer to the centre of the lane and force him to change lanes to pass. Yeah, might backfire too resulting in a rear-ender. [shrug]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.