Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paraffin Wax Chain Lube

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Paraffin Wax Chain Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 01:18 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Applying lube after a ride doesn't mean applying it after EVERY ride. I can get at least 3 rides or 120 miles, before I reapply the lube.

gotcha! That makes more sense...thanks
Old 12-24-19, 03:38 PM
eflayer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
i waxed with additives for a couple of years - then NFS

added teflon powder and cromoly powder. it was fun for a while but the wax did not seem to last very long.

then i found NFS lube. i love this sh*t. clean, smooth, quiet...for a long time. a little goes a really long way. treat yourself and get back to me:

NixFrixShun Ultimate Bicycle Chainlube - NixFrixShun®

https://phillybikeexpo.com/when-you-think-chainlube/
Old 12-24-19, 04:11 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by eflayer
added teflon powder and cromoly powder. it was fun for a while but the wax did not seem to last very long.

then i found NFS lube. i love this sh*t. clean, smooth, quiet...for a long time. a little goes a really long way. treat yourself and get back to me:

NixFrixShun Ultimate Bicycle Chainlube - NixFrixShun®

https://phillybikeexpo.com/when-you-think-chainlube/
I use the silca NFS version, it is pretty good but not quite as clean as hot wax overall and I wipe down the chain afterwards with a bit of mineral spirits. I use it only for wet muddy cyclocross races now. Chain still needs to be removed and cleaned off the bike since there are no solvents
Old 12-25-19, 04:51 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Been waxing for many years, most of those with Molten speed wax. It's particularly effective in a drier area. You no longer have to deal with dust & lube mixing into that black cutting compound all over your drive train. I only degrease chains before first waxing, after that it's wipe off with a towel and/or blow with a little compressed air prior to throwing back into the pot. The time spent waxing is more than offset by the time saved not having to clean a cassette or rings or my hands.

Wax is doubly awesome on a track chain. You don't get crap all over everything when you change a cog or chain ring.
Old 12-25-19, 05:53 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
"Adds 5 watts..."
Really?
Reminds me of when racers preferred Cambio Corsa over derailleurs with pulleys, to avoid power loss in pulleys.
Old 12-25-19, 06:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Adds 5 watts..."
Really?
Reminds me of when racers preferred Cambio Corsa over derailleurs with pulleys, to avoid power loss in pulleys.

The chain turns by itself while you're stopped...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-29-19, 05:56 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That's what I want to hear. Not having to re-clean, before a second hot wax drip. I ride in dry conditions . Do you ride in dry contions ? Thanks KB.
Old 12-30-19, 08:40 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
That's what I want to hear. Not having to re-clean, before a second hot wax drip. I ride in dry conditions . Do you ride in dry contions ? Thanks KB.
I ride in dry conditions, but even a waxed chain will get dirt inside it. The clearances between the chain components are much larger than the size of dirt particles. There is nothing to keep the dirt out. After a lot of use, try twisting the upper chain, near the FD. It will most likely produce a gritty sound, because there's dirt inside the chain.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-30-19, 10:06 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I too ride in dry conditions mostly and I don't get a gritty chain like DaveSSS just from riding. But I could see how this could happen. I do get this when the bike is on the bike rack on the back of the car over a long distance. So I just remove the chain for traveling. I too was worried about grit but then I thought, I never cleaned a chain before using wet lube so why would it make a difference with wax? Wet lube usually attracts dirt so I didn't put to much thought into worrying about this.

My method is, removing the chain, wiping it down a bit with a rag and give it a quick shake then right back into the crock pot for waxing. I wax chains every 2-3 months depending on my riding but usually 8-12 weeks I can go with a two chain rotation. If I go to special events or charity rides and I think conditons will be problematic I do have a can of the WEND wax, the stuff that is famous because its colored. That works great in a pinch for a quick application. its super waxy. Not great for stand alone use IMO but is a good security blanket.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 12-30-19, 08:33 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I ran across these links over at the TR forum today and found them to be very interesting since I've pretty much committed to chain waxing and will never go back to standard lubes.

From down under.

I'm going to give this a try more due to the fact it appears to be even cleaner than MSW than the claim of increased chain life. Local hardware store had paraffin wax and have ordered 100g of 1.6 µm PTFE. Enough for 2 lbs of wax which should last me for many years.