Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1972 Peugeot PX10

Old 01-31-20, 04:42 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
1972 Peugeot PX10

This is the second one I have.
It looks to be a 72 made.
It has a rear Simplex with Simplex shifters. The front is a Shimano replacement.
The wheels are Weinmann with Campagnolo hubs.
The hubs are marked 71, but not marked Record or Super Record. I think they were not marked till 1972, or am I wrong?
The brakes are Mafac Competition. On the other bike I have Racer. Which one were original?
What should be the value of the bike after a good cleaning and replace the consumables?
It is a 64 cm frame.
The bad: it has some marks from a kickstand.

Old 01-31-20, 04:46 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
I've had lock nuts dated on Campy hubs as old as 1959. Easy enough to remove one and check.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-31-20, 04:51 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The FD and saddle hurt the value of the bike. I'm fairly certain the bike came with mafac racers which are more desireable than the competitions since straddle cables for the competitions are unobtanium. These are clinchers right? The campy tipo hi flange hubs are cool and the bike has nice tires which is another plus.

The bike is worth $350ish as it sits.

Last edited by bikemig; 01-31-20 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-31-20, 04:53 PM
marius.suiram 

Originally Posted by wrk101
I've had lock nuts dated on Campy hubs as old as 1959. Easy enough to remove one and check.
The lock nuts are marked 71.
I wasn't sure about the model, but I know now: they are Nuovo Tipo. I am not sure about their quality comparing with the Record
Old 01-31-20, 04:55 PM
marius.suiram 

The wheels are clincher
Old 01-31-20, 04:55 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by marius.suiram
The lock nuts are marked 71.
I wasn't sure about the model, but I know now: they are Nuovo Tipo. I am not sure about their quality comparing with the Record
I like the old tipo hi flange hubs but they are one step down from record hubs.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-31-20, 06:21 PM
marius.suiram 

Should be a French threading?
Old 01-31-20, 06:41 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by marius.suiram
Should be a French threading?
On the hub? No telling as it's a replacement Should follow the no groove:ita, 1 groove:bsa, 2 groove french rule.

Tipos are pretty nice hubs and roll better than either the Normandy Sport hubs or the Maillard Luxe, in my opinion. Not as nice as the Record hubs, which are really, really nice. The 70s Mavic hubs were very nice rollers also. People who know about such things say that the races in the Nuovo Tipos weren't nearly as well made as in the Record.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 02-01-20, 04:55 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 3,283 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
-----

since hubs not OEM their date is moot for dating model year of cycle

originals were Normandy Luxe Competition with gold foil label

---

one interesting thing to check on a 1972 model year PX is the Verot 93 chainset

1972 was the changeover year from "early" to "late" or "Mk.I" to "Mk.II" for this model of chainset. some '72 PX machines received the early and some the late.

this image courtesy of VB illustrates the difference between the two generations. the right arm is early and the left late. the original type 93 was somwwhat prone to radial cracks at the pedal hole so the distal end of the arm was beefed up with extra material in the late type.

the subject cycle's set is early type.

-----
Old 02-01-20, 11:20 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Nice bike looks to be mostly original I'm thinking 72/73 model year based on the slightly beefier parts as noted by juvela. The wheel set is a nice vintage upgrade very good chance it was a dealer LBS upgrade change because the original buyer wanted nice clinchers. I would agree on the $350 or so value as is.
Old 02-03-20, 09:43 AM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Nice bike looks to be mostly original I'm thinking 72/73 model year based on the slightly beefier parts as noted by juvela. The wheel set is a nice vintage upgrade very good chance it was a dealer LBS upgrade change because the original buyer wanted nice clinchers. I would agree on the $350 or so value as is.
I worked in a bike shop back when those were new. Nearly every buyer had us swap out the tubular rims for clinchers.
Some got new rims laced to the original hubs, others got off the shelf alloy clinchers with what ever hub they were built with.
The original equipment on those varied all the time, bike manufacturers were having trouble keeping up with the demand and often substituted components. Sometimes we opened the box and found that the front and rear hub didn't even match.
The guy I worked for also hated Mafac brakes, he swapped nearly ever pair over to Weinmann center pulls and many got derailleur upgrades, either right away or soon after they were bought.
The original derailleurs were fragile and didn't last in the hands of the average rider. Huret Jubile' or Shimano Crane was a common upgrade back then.
The good part was that I got a lot of new take off parts for free back then.
Old 02-03-20, 04:07 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by dirtman
I worked in a bike shop back when those were new. Nearly every buyer had us swap out the tubular rims for clinchers.
Some got new rims laced to the original hubs, others got off the shelf alloy clinchers with what ever hub they were built with.
The original equipment on those varied all the time, bike manufacturers were having trouble keeping up with the demand and often substituted components. Sometimes we opened the box and found that the front and rear hub didn't even match.
The guy I worked for also hated Mafac brakes, he swapped nearly ever pair over to Weinmann center pulls and many got derailleur upgrades, either right away or soon after they were bought.
The original derailleurs were fragile and didn't last in the hands of the average rider. Huret Jubile' or Shimano Crane was a common upgrade back then.
The good part was that I got a lot of new take off parts for free back then.
A shimano crane is a nice upgrade as it works just fine on a stronglight dropout; you have to tap it out but you don't need to carve out a stop on the drop out. Mafac racers are good brakes though.
Old 02-16-20, 11:35 AM
dirtman

Mafac Racer's were fine but most went to the Weinmann brakes for some reason. Not sure if it was strictly for weight reasons or because they liked the better fit and finish of the Weinmann brakes.
About 15 years ago I dug through my box of new take offs and sold a ton of them on fleabay. Nearly all of them went to Japan. I kept a few sets for my own use as well as a few other Mafac models from back in the day.
I sold off nearly all the Simplex derailleurs, I may have one or two sets left at best. If I do they're packed away in boxes in the attic.
Old 02-16-20, 05:51 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by dirtman
Mafac Racer's were fine but most went to the Weinmann brakes for some reason. Not sure if it was strictly for weight reasons or because they liked the better fit and finish of the Weinmann brakes.
About 15 years ago I dug through my box of new take offs and sold a ton of them on fleabay. Nearly all of them went to Japan. I kept a few sets for my own use as well as a few other Mafac models from back in the day.
I sold off nearly all the Simplex derailleurs, I may have one or two sets left at best. If I do they're packed away in boxes in the attic.
It costs $10 to join BF; you get rid of the ads and you can buy and sell. I'm not the only person here who likes old French bikes and would love to buy some of your stashed away inventory in the attic!
Old 02-16-20, 06:49 PM
bsehorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is the seat original?
Old 02-16-20, 10:19 PM
dirtman

I had a new left over PX10 in the mid 70's, I bought it as a new in the box left over, I was told it was a 1971 model when I bought it from the shop I was working at then.
The bike came with Nomandy Luxe Comp. hubs, Simplex Prestige deraileurs, a Stronglight 93 crankset, Mafac Racer brakes, Mavic Montlery Rims and Hutchinson tubulars. The freewheel was an Atom 14-23t. The bars and stem were both AVA, The bike was white with black Nervex lugs. Right out of the box I left out the original wheelset and built up a pair of clinchers on a new pair of Normandy Luxe Comp hubs and pair of Rigida 1320 rims and mounted up a pair of new Michelin clinchers. I also left out he Simplex gear changers in favor of a set of Huret Jubilee Derailleurs I pulled off the shelf.
I stripped the bike down and re-greased everything with Phil Wood synthetic grease. A year later I upgraded the wheelset again to a fresh set of Rigida clinchers this time with DT stainless spokes and Phil Wood hubs. I also upgraded to a 13-26t Rigina Corsa freewheel to match the BSA threaded PW hub. The original wheelset hung around till I finally sold it in around 2002 or so. I sold the bike after about two years right after buying a new 1978 Raleigh Professional which got another custom clincher wheel set using a pair of Rigida rims again but with first generation Dura Ace hubs and again DT SS spokes.The Raleigh fit me better and working there I got it for dealer cost.
The PX10 was cheap, Peugeot models were all far less costly than most others, and I bought it for very little being it was a 4 year old left over sitting in the storeroom. The story I had gotten was that the bike was a warranty replacement for another bike that came in with a defective frame, but it was a year old by the time it showed up and never got put out on the floor since they had stopped selling the brand by then.
The Campy stuff on the Raleigh got swapped out for lighter, better shifting Suntour cyclone bits, but the Campy got saved and put back on when that bike got sold.

The one thing I remember most about bikes back then is that you never really knew what was going to be on any given bike. Manufacturers were having trouble keeping up with demand and parts substitutions were common on all models. I remember the shop owner complaining when he opened up a box with a new Peugeot in it and found it equipped with a Shimano rear derailleur, and another that had one Normandy Luxe hub and one lesser Normandy hub. It was also fairly common to find bikes built with one high and one low flange hub, or different cranksets than which were advertised in the brochures. For that reason, they rarely put the brochures out for people to see, it caused to many complaints. Looking back at some of the prices on the boxes from back then I can't believe how cheap things were yet in the bicycle world, they seemed so expensive back then. I think I paid something like $90 for my PX10, and almost $200 for my Raleigh Pro, but keep in mind I worked there and got things cheap. Likely half of what they sold for on the showroom floor. The same with parts. The new in the box Huret Jubilee derailleurs set was only $28 brand new off the shelf. but back then that was most of a weeks paycheck. (Keep in mind that everything was cheaper then, I bought a left over 1971 VW bus from the dealer for $1550 with 1,500 miles on it that had sat unsold for some reason for two three years. The price was about half of the original window sticker price). I traded it in on a Dodge van a few years later and got almost what I paid plus $2k cash towards a Tradesman van listed for $3240 on the window sticker.
Funny thing is I remember all that like it was yesterday but can't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning.
Old 02-26-20, 12:32 PM
harmonixx

Bikes: 2004Trek Fuel 95, 1958 Raleigh Superbe (dawn tourist mens), 1958 Raleigh Superbe (dawn tourist ladies), 1978 Carlton Comp Pro, 1974 Carlton Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
very nice