Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First Fixed gear / single speed

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-21-20, 01:45 PM
Demarcopolo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for my first Fixed gear / single speed bike. Anyone have any good recommendations? I'm not trying to spend more than 500 dollars.
Old 02-21-20, 02:51 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
My first recommendation is to search the forum. You will find more than a handful of thread topics where this same question has been asked and answered.
Second, you really need to tell us about YOU. What do you want it for? Commuting or for fun jaunts around your local park? Will you be doing any track racing? Do you want it to be able to handle wide tires to more comfortably ride on rough streets? Or perhaps you want to ride on rails-to-trails and gravel will be the usual surface.

The typical response is to check out the Kilo TT for narrow tires or the Kilo WT for wider tires as a first bike in your price range. Not a bad suggestion, but there might be others that match up with your needs.

Have you ridden fixed before? That might make a difference to. For example, you can fairly easily find a geared bike to convert to fixed/S.S. and end up with a really nice frame for not much money. So options exist.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-21-20, 02:51 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Kilo TT/WT from Bikes Direct are still solid options. Retrogression has some Aventons under 500: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...complete-bikes

Just make sure you know what size you need.
Old 02-21-20, 06:46 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Kilo TT/WT from Bikes Direct are still solid options. Retrogression has some Aventons under 500: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...complete-bikes

Just make sure you know what size you need.
Excellent point about sizing. Especially with the Kilo TT, I think you need to size down so if you typically ride a 56cm or or 57cm your looking at a 53cm. Best to try to ride one first if possible.
Old 02-21-20, 06:54 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Excellent point about sizing. Especially with the Kilo TT, I think you need to size down so if you typically ride a 56cm or or 57cm your looking at a 53cm. Best to try to ride one first if possible.
A cheap bike that fits will always be better than a nice one that doesn't.
Likes For seau grateau: