Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Old 01-12-20, 04:23 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Tern Cargo Rack on Xootr Swift?

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Will the Tern Cargo rack mount on Xootr and still allow for folding. If this answered, I did not see it.
I have that rack but on a different bike. However, eyeballing it, I’ll guess that it should work.
Old 01-21-20, 11:22 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Generic rack does not interfere with fold.
Old 01-22-20, 10:08 AM
bent4me

Do the fenders interfere with the fold?
Old 01-22-20, 10:26 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Here's something a little different...Velo Orange Milan bars, an old mtn bike friction shifter, Brompton 54 tooth crank.

Likes For 12boy:
Old 02-21-20, 07:11 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just came across this and thought I'd post it here is Xootr is out of stock of their version...

https://vincita.cc/collections/carrier/products/c02i9-v-rack-seatpost-carrier
Old 02-25-20, 09:09 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
Just came across this and thought I'd post it here is Xootr is out of stock of their version...

https://vincita.cc/collections/carrier/products/c02i9-v-rack-seatpost-carrier
The link leads to a dead end.
Rack Seatpost Carrier
Old 03-08-20, 01:41 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
I'm looking for a Swift folder (frameset or bike) if anyone has one they're looking to unload. I'm tall, so the longer seat post and stem riser is a bonus.
Old 03-21-20, 02:31 PM
seat_boy

I found one on another list, received it yesterday, and made a few changes from the stock build: Tioga Powerblock 1.9" tires (they only fit because I slid the rear wheel all the way back), a real saddle, grippier pedals, and I'm playing with the bar and stem. This is about my third combo, and it's still not quite right. It's tough because the Swift is small for 6'3" me. It's a fun bike, though, very solid feeling, even compared to my Bike Friday.

Likes For seat_boy:
Old 04-12-20, 06:15 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Anyone fitted ergotec bugle bars or bmx bars to their xootr? Dug mine out the shed recently and the higher bars i fitted years ago are too painful on my wrists now so want to be more upright, i never fold the bike so interference is irrelevant only comfort, even my rido saddle hurts so a sprung saddle going on too even though it still has a cand creek LT seatpost i want comfort over speed now.
Old 04-12-20, 07:58 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Not those specifically but others. Fold won't be an issue with the Swift. I am also planning to get a shorter stem.
Old 04-19-20, 09:32 AM
dezzie

Anyone fitted bmx bars or higher types, pics would be great as mine are just to painfull and the shock in the front goes straight to my hands and wrists and make any surface other than billiard table smooth a miserable experience, i was broken yesterday after 11.5 miles on flat ground.
Old 04-19-20, 11:58 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Here's mine
Old 04-20-20, 05:39 PM
Tall_Xootr

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Have a pair of 100 mm riser bars that Xootr gave me that I never installed. So it is doable. You may want to email them, they are very helpful.

Also had a pair of 74 mm mountain bike bars, which worked well, but prefer the current setup due to handlebar angle.

Now I use a pair of 50 mm riser bars which Xootr sent me by accident instead of the 100 mm ones, so I ended up with both.

You may also want to look into an extender for your steerer tube. You can find them on Amazon, and Soma makes a very long one that is a bit more expensive.

My current setup is an steer tube extender plus 50 mm riser bars. I am 6' 4" with a 34" inseam and I prefer the handlebars to be at saddle height.

My extender:
https://philshop.co.kr/sub/view_produ...BV02&CatNo=474

Soma longer one:
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...apter-28-622-2

My current setup:

So you could get all of the handlebar height from just a set of riser bars or go with the extender and your current bars, or a combination of both. I would go with the extender first since it will give you more options with other handlebars later. But it is up to you.

Joseph
Likes For Tall_Xootr:
Old 04-20-20, 06:35 PM
seat_boy

That's a good idea of using the extender inside the stem riser post. I may have to give that a try to expand my handlebar options!
Old 04-20-20, 09:23 PM
Tall_Xootr

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The extender was recommended by Peter at Swift Folders. I purchased this after using one of those stems that are adjustable for angle. This is a far better solution, though if I do want to play around with different handlebars I will need a longer extender.

Also it looks like you have the shorter of the two risers. You may want to email Xootr and see if they have the longer one still available. Again I found them to be extremely helpful.

I am interested in your bicycle. Is that a Surly Tuggnut on the rear? Do you think it is necessary? I currently have 20 x 1.5 tires on the rear and purchased 1.75 tires, not realizing they may not work. I will need to move the wheel backwards and I am wondering if I may need something to keep the axle from moving forward. I was considering a Tuggnut or the Monkey nuts, or a cheaper BMX alternative.

Thanks,
Tall Xootr
Old 04-21-20, 04:04 AM
seat_boy

I emailed Xootr early on about a taller riser. They got right back to me, but said the taller risers are long gone.

I do use a Surly Tugnut on the rear. I haven't ridden the bike without it, but I've had issues on wheels sliding forward on previous bikes with track ends. Those bikes were mountain gears, so lower gears which puts more tension on the wheel. Maybe the Swift doesn't really need it, but it's not hurting anything until I need to remove the wheel. Then it's one more thing to juggle. I think a cheaper BMW tugnut would work just as well, but you might be able to fit a 1.75" all the way forward anyway. I only had the 1.95" tire to use (and the cheap 1.5" tire the bike came with). I also wanted to get the longer wheel base of the extended chainstays. I think it gives the bike a bit more stability.
Old 04-21-20, 04:29 AM
Tall_Xootr

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seat boy,

Have you also tried Peter Reich at Swift Folders? He may have some parts or give you a quote to make a riser. Also the small riser combined with the Soma riser may be all you need. I originally looked at the Soma riser, but was worried it would be too long and possibly interfere with the braze on.

Tall Xootr
Old 04-21-20, 08:30 AM
seat_boy

I'm pretty sure I have a threaded to threadless adapter in my tool box. I'll give that a try first. One thing holding me back is that I can't use the stock gripshift with the bar I want to use (it has integrated bar ends; the grip shift can't get around the corner). I need to play with my gearing anyway, though: the wide tire rubs on the chain in my easiest gear. I will have to slide the cassette outboard and give up one gear to fix this situation.
Old 04-21-20, 12:35 PM
dezzie

I just tried fitting slightly bigger bars but the clamp size is too small, someone remind me what the clamp area size is as 25.4 too small, then tried brooks plump donut grips but thd amoung of rings removed is way past the threaded area due to the stupid long sram x4 grip shift area so thats been a wasted hour in the shed and now no grips as cut old ones off as too poor a shape, so now csnnot ride the bloody thing unless i find thd correct grips, swap the twist shift for sram x4 trigger shift then i can use my brooks grips but still need higher bars, always something to spoil my day so i think i will do the trigger shift option as hate twist shift then get bars later when i have some cash as may need longer cables depending on height/sweep.
Old 04-21-20, 02:46 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

I plan to change to trigger shift just to have cushier foam grips. I also plan to change out the Kwest tires for Big Apples.
Old 04-22-20, 07:21 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
If you look at my pictures up the page you can see an old Mtn bike friction shifter, which works well and allows for longer grips etc. The twist shifter took up to much room. I run flipped Milan bars from Velo Orange...its too windy here to ride straight up. Hand sweat ate away at my Ergon Cork grips so I taped them. Very comfortable if a bit heavy. 22.2 bars are what comes on the Swift.
Old 04-24-20, 11:01 AM
bent4me

For those interested my Swift upgrades include 110mm riser stem, Shimano ZEE 10 speed shifter and derailleur

and comfort grips. I also swapped the 52 chainring for a 44 which gives me much better lowes for climbing. I have annual miles over 3k while travelling and have done a few metric centuries with little more effort than a standard bike.
Likes For bent4me:
Old 04-29-20, 11:09 AM
seat_boy

I ordered a stem threadless adapter to raise my Swift's bars. But some hurdles:

- the standard 1" threaded to 1-1/8" threadless adapter (what I had on hand) does not fit. It's too small in diameter to fit in the Swift's stem post. You need a 1-1/8" threaded to threadless adapter (confusingly, the shaft of the 1-1/8" threaded adapter is 1" in diameter)

- but, this 1-1/8" adapter was slightly too big to fit my step post. Or rather, my stem post was slightly too small in diameter.

To avoid time sanding this down, I asked Peter if he had any riser available. He got back to me to tell me he is officially retired from Swift business, no more stuff on hand. He suggested the 1-1/8" adapter instead.

Time to start sanding!
Old 04-30-20, 06:06 AM
dezzie

New trigger shifter fitted with Brooks plump grips to match the saddle although they look lighter i presume they darken up in time.
Old 04-30-20, 06:07 AM
dezzie

Do not know why its rotated vertical the pics i saved were correct way?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.