Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddle customization.

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-27-20, 06:32 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Ok so there it is.

I want to customize my brooks saddle. (IMO its the most comfortable and worthy of my $150 or what ever they cost these days)

I am trying to complete a murdered out build for boozer cruiser or just a grimey ass tank of a bike. I have my sunday bike so no need to make this one pretty.

I am hating the silver or copper rivets on the Brooks leather saddles. OCD i guess or just annoyed I cant even pay for the hassle to be done out the box... but i have time on my hands this quarantine..

Has anybody done this? or customized the set up at least. im sure their has to be other people out here that feel the same (all of the C17-19 have black rivets)

fotos or options on this would be lovely. thanks

just trying to get the bike game in check before the gates of hell are opened back up.

cheers
Old 05-01-20, 07:02 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It would help us to know exactly what model you have. I read the post several times and you don't make it clear unless I missed something. People have customized leather saddles over the years. Generally, most of the customization revolves around cutting away leather in order to attain a different shape and fit. Some also add laces to help the saddle maintain its shape.
Old 05-01-20, 07:11 AM
TugaDude

Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-01-20, 07:15 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by somepetalhead
Ok so there it is.

I want to customize my brooks saddle. (IMO its the most comfortable and worthy of my $150 or what ever they cost these days)

I am trying to complete a murdered out build for boozer cruiser or just a grimey ass tank of a bike. I have my sunday bike so no need to make this one pretty.

I am hating the silver or copper rivets on the Brooks leather saddles. OCD i guess or just annoyed I cant even pay for the hassle to be done out the box... but i have time on my hands this quarantine..

Has anybody done this? or customized the set up at least. im sure their has to be other people out here that feel the same (all of the C17-19 have black rivets)

fotos or options on this would be lovely. thanks

just trying to get the bike game in check before the gates of hell are opened back up.

cheers
Here is the Cambium page from the Brooks site. As you can see, they have all sorts of combinations of rivets, black, copper and silver. Not every option is in stock though. You could also reach out to them and ask about customization. I don't know if they do it or not, but why not ask?
Old 05-01-20, 07:25 AM
TugaDude

Although I don't necessarily recommend it, this dude posted a "how-to" for those insisting on cutting up their Brooks.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Pla...rooks-Swallow/
Old 05-02-20, 06:39 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Although I don't necessarily recommend it, this dude posted a "how-to" for those insisting on cutting up their Brooks.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Pla...rooks-Swallow/
Yes, I'd buy a saddle from a firm that has been making them for 138 years and think, "Yep, I can probably do a better job." I'd spend a big wedge of money on one and immediately attack it with a Stanley knife. LOL
Old 05-05-20, 08:34 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Well I prefer the classic B17 but I do like the conquest also. I have had a few other models but I dont like the adapter for the 67s or any of the majorly springy models.

I have seen some of the fancy names do some C-models with anodized rivets. but Id just like a all black saddle. no silver or copper rivs no silver rails... im sure I cant be the only one.

Plus anytime ive ever done any maintenance to a brooks its basically game over the components seem to not be that promising to loosing or tightening.

Id gladly pay 150$ plus for all of this done for me already. but it is cool to see the custom customs... not the backyard throwing knife cut outs but just cool to see the different creative process.
Old 05-05-20, 08:42 AM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Well I prefer the classic B17 but I do like the conquest also. I have had a few other models but I dont like the adapter for the 67s or any of the majorly springy models.
My Conquest is my favorite saddle.
Likes For ups:
Old 05-05-20, 09:04 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by ups
My Conquest is my favorite saddle.
I haven't ridden it enough to have a firm opinion, but I got a Conquest a few years back and put it on a Redline Monogog. The times I rode it, I thought it might be THE saddle for gravel rides or some buffed-out singletrack. It reeks of quality.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-05-20, 09:07 AM
TugaDude

I have seen some of the fancy names do some C-models with anodized rivets. but Id just like a all black saddle. no silver or copper rivs no silver rails... im sure I cant be the only one.

Plus anytime ive ever done any maintenance to a brooks its basically game over the components seem to not be that promising to loosing or tightening.

Id gladly pay 150$ plus for all of this done for me already. but it is cool to see the custom customs... not the backyard throwing knife cut outs but just cool to see the different creative process.
this one meets your requirements but it is the carved version. Personally, if I were to buy a Cambium, I'd go with the carved version. YMMV.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_row...ved-black.html
Old 05-05-20, 09:17 AM
TugaDude

By the way, can any members here give a testimonial on how the Cambium saddles hold up? I've seen some reviews that were less than stellar. Basically, showing the tops all worn down and frayed, etc.
Old 05-05-20, 09:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Yes, I'd buy a saddle from a firm that has been making them for 138 years and think, "Yep, I can probably do a better job." I'd spend a big wedge of money on one and immediately attack it with a Stanley knife. LOL
I actually did this (on a blue basic B17 I got on discount). I used an Xacto knife. For the bike in question, it was an improvement. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend this approach, but it can alter the characteristics of the saddle. I also have un-mutilated (and pricier) Brooks saddles, which were, for whatever reason, more comfortable than this blue one. This one wasn't living up to expectations, so it was either alter it or put it on a shelf.
Old 05-05-20, 11:21 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by wgscott
I actually did this (on a blue basic B17 I got on discount). I used an Xacto knife. For the bike in question, it was an improvement. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend this approach, but it can alter the characteristics of the saddle. I also have un-mutilated (and pricier) Brooks saddles, which were, for whatever reason, more comfortable than this blue one. This one wasn't living up to expectations, so it was either alter it or put it on a shelf.
There has always been and continues to be a big difference in Brooks saddles. Any leather saddles, I'm sure. The reason is it is impossible to make every piece of leather exactly the same as all of the others. I have purchased new B-17s that were perfect from the start, no break-in required. I also have some that no matter what I do, refuse to soften up. I have at least 7 Brooks saddles and each of them is its own unique beast.

I am not surprised that a special blue Brooks felt different. I purchased a green and copper B-17 Special and it is beyond firm. It is on a bike that sadly will get little action for awhile, so there is little chance of it breaking in anytime soon.
Old 05-05-20, 12:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Cutting the skirts off really helped. It would look better if the rails were chrome.

I recently bought a Gilles Berthoud saddle, since my copper-rivet Brooks was insufficiently boutique and expensive. It feels quite different. I'm still trying to decide if I like it better.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-06-20 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added a pic
Old 05-06-20, 07:25 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
By the way, can any members here give a testimonial on how the Cambium saddles hold up? I've seen some reviews that were less than stellar. Basically, showing the tops all worn down and frayed, etc.
The first couple of versions sucked. The fabric was very rough and it seems like they hadn't quite figured out what to do along the edges, which would fray really quickly and fall apart.

The updated "All Weather" models use a different fabric top and have a much slicker feel. The edges are also very smooth. My wife has been using one for a little over a year and it's holding up really well. It's still dark black and hasn't gotten ratty looking at all.
Old 05-06-20, 07:36 AM
catacombs

Bikes: Kilo TT

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Speaking of Brooks saddles: How long would you say it takes to break it in? People say it's the most comfortable saddle ever, but I'm still working through mine.
Old 05-06-20, 07:59 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
The first couple of versions sucked. The fabric was very rough and it seems like they hadn't quite figured out what to do along the edges, which would fray really quickly and fall apart.

The updated "All Weather" models use a different fabric top and have a much slicker feel. The edges are also very smooth. My wife has been using one for a little over a year and it's holding up really well. It's still dark black and hasn't gotten ratty looking at all.
Thank you for that! I was hoping that they would sort out the issues and find a way to provide a reliable product.
Old 05-06-20, 08:26 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by catacombs
Speaking of Brooks saddles: How long would you say it takes to break it in? People say it's the most comfortable saddle ever, but I'm still working through mine.
Too many variables to make a definitive statement. How often you ride, the model of the saddle, your body weight, where you ride (weather, humidity, etc.) all play a role.

Some Brooks feel great right out of the box and others take years to fully break in. Some recommend methods of speeding up the process and still others say absolutely do not!

I love my Brooks saddles but as I stated above, they are all unique. They all seem to behave differently. I also have a several other leather saddles, Wright's and Ideale, specifically and they are way different as well.
Old 05-06-20, 05:10 PM
catacombs

Bikes: Kilo TT

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Too many variables to make a definitive statement. How often you ride, the model of the saddle, your body weight, where you ride (weather, humidity, etc.) all play a role.

Some Brooks feel great right out of the box and others take years to fully break in. Some recommend methods of speeding up the process and still others say absolutely do not!

I love my Brooks saddles but as I stated above, they are all unique. They all seem to behave differently. I also have a several other leather saddles, Wright's and Ideale, specifically and they are way different as well.
Thanks. I've had mine, in black leather, for over a year. I rode consistently for a few months after purchasing it until some life events took me off the bike. I recently got back on it, and my ass feels like the first time I ever sat on it. Damn.