Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Counterfeit Phil Wood?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Counterfeit Phil Wood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 08:23 PM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Counterfeit Phil Wood?

Unbelievable. Somebody, I'm thinking, had the temerity to attempt counterfeit Phil hubs. I would not have believed it unless I saw these ebay pics and I'm still incredulous I must say. These just do not look right at all to me. Can anyone confirm the existence elsewhere of fake Phils? Check it out. Posting the photo. More on the ebay page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fakes 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 549 views)
Fakes 3.jpg (97.4 KB, 552 views)
Fakes 4.jpg (95.8 KB, 552 views)
Old 05-12-17, 08:50 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
OK, you first. What's "wrong" with them?
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 05-12-17, 08:55 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
That seller has over 2000 transactions and 100% rating. Hard to believe it's an intentional deception.
Old 05-12-17, 09:37 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
They're all over the web-- just Google chromed high flange phil wood hub
Old 05-12-17, 09:49 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Buy Phil Wood Front High Flange Track Hub - 36 hole - Silver<br>Free Shipping Worldwide (Phil Wood Front High Flange Track Hubs - 36h) from www.AVT.Bike

cheaper and free shipping
Old 05-13-17, 09:11 AM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serious question?

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
OK, you first. What's "wrong" with them?
Look at the bolts, the lock ring, the Phil signature - all not right. The spoke holes on a true Phil hub are countersunk slightly whereas these are not. The end caps are totally not Phil Wood. To me it's glaringly obvious that these are wrong. I guess I thought someone else would be similarly surprised at an attempt to counterfeit a Phil. And yes, I'm well aware that many Phil Wood hubs are sold on Ebay. I've just personally never seen a fake one.

Last edited by crewdoglm; 05-13-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 09:12 AM
crewdoglm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That seller has over 2000 transactions and 100% rating. Hard to believe it's an intentional deception.
I don't think it's intentional either. Those are fake hubs though.
Old 05-13-17, 09:15 AM
crewdoglm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes thank you I get that Phil's are sold on Ebay and moreover that AVT is an excellent bike shop. (I'm a repeat offender with them.) The point of the post is that someone attempted to COPY a Phil hub i..e, fake, spurious. counterfeit get it? I guess I'm the only person who found that noteworthy. Thanks guys. LOL
Old 05-13-17, 10:16 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
They look like the older style Phil hubs.
Old 05-13-17, 10:23 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by crewdoglm
Look at the bolts, the lock ring, the Phil signature - all not right.
The lock ring specifically in the eBay ad is listed as not being a Phil product, for the signature, google image search brings up variations, and these are listed as NOS, so it's unknown how old they are, so wouldn't count this against them. For the bolts, will give you that, but they are also an easy part to replace.

For them being counterfit, suspect that if they really are vs just being NOS, a lot more would be on eBay, and there would be a lot of talk about them if they really were fakes.
Old 05-13-17, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old, 1st generation Phil, was a stainless steel tube with aluminum flanges added..

I had a QR medium flange rear hub..
Old 05-13-17, 11:29 AM
Econoline

Bikes: eleven and going down

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We could always ask Peter at Phil Wood. sales@philwood.com
Likes For Econoline:
Old 05-13-17, 05:43 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Old, 1st generation Phil, was a stainless steel tube with aluminum flanges added..

I had a QR medium flange rear hub..
I had a front wheel with this type of hub. I recall the steel center section rusting so perhaps it was not stainless steel.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-13-17, 07:24 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old Phil Wood hubs are incredibly rust prone in the center section, and the three piece shell just isn't as safe/strong as one piece alloy shells. Phil Wood will actually give you a credit if you ship an old tandem steel center section hub back and buy a new hub. Just to help get you onto a safer hub.

Not surprised that there are people copying Phil Wood hubs. Heck, almost everything sold at at VeloOrange is a ripoff design from something else. That doesn't mean it's not good kit, and most VO product they base their designs on can't be sourced anymore. Still outright counterfeiting is pretty rare in cycling. The abcence of the red plastic netting makes me think not real PW hubs. However, who knows. Maybe PW outsourced or changed endcaps?
Old 05-13-17, 07:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Old Phil Wood hubs are incredibly rust prone in the center section, and the three piece shell just isn't as safe/strong as one piece alloy shells. Phil Wood will actually give you a credit if you ship an old tandem steel center section hub back and buy a new hub. Just to help get you onto a safer hub.

Not surprised that there are people copying Phil Wood hubs. Heck, almost everything sold at at VeloOrange is a ripoff design from something else. That doesn't mean it's not good kit, and most VO product they base their designs on can't be sourced anymore. Still outright counterfeiting is pretty rare in cycling. The abcence of the red plastic netting makes me think not real PW hubs. However, who knows. Maybe PW outsourced or changed endcaps?
Could be, Phil Wood himself (R.I.P.) passed the business and branding on to a buyer.

Only way to know for sure would be to ask PW.
Old 05-13-17, 08:54 PM
Lakerat

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Don't look like any Phil Wood hubs I've ever seen.
Old 05-13-17, 09:35 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
This is a 1997 hub on one of my bikes.
The "Phil" signature is much smaller.
Attached Images
IMG_0884.jpg (68.3 KB, 406 views)
Old 05-14-17, 09:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a 48 hole freewheel threaded hub shell , PW Co put a 126 axle assembly in it.

I put a leather hub polisher around it ..

and had no trouble with the small % of Iron in the high nickel content alloy making rust pimples..

was my bomb proof touring rear wheel for 10 years..

Old 05-14-17, 10:24 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Anybody tried contacting Phil Wood? I'm sure they would be interested if someone is selling counterfeit.

Ben
Old 05-14-17, 07:51 PM
crewdoglm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contacting Phil...

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Anybody tried contacting Phil Wood? I'm sure they would be interested if someone is selling counterfeit.

Ben
I may do that for curiosity' sake. PW is pretty responsive in my experience especially if you have a rap sheet for buying their stuff. Those bolts are identical to those I see on cheap Taiwanese fixie hubs and the end caps are really suspect. It just looks cheap and that is not an adjective anyone has ever applied to PW stuff in my memory.
Old 05-14-17, 08:20 PM
Lakerat

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Phil Wood hubs in my observation, have spoke flanges that are rounded and don't have flats on them.
Old 05-13-20, 10:05 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
so... what was the verdict?
Old 05-13-20, 11:23 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke

While I completely agree with the rust issues on the first gen hubs I strongly disagree with any claim of "safety" being more or less. I've worked in a number of shops that sold Phils for decades and have never even heard third hand of any safety concerns or incidents. IMO this kind of suggestion is just wrong. Thank gosh we aren't talking about anything actually serious, like C-19 as example. This is how false news starts. Andy
Old 05-13-20, 08:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I can totally understand if someone were to counterfeit a Phil hub. There is just something so sexy about that logo. I don't know why but it caused me to spend great deals of money on a bike I don't ride enough. It is simple and understated but so so good looking.
Old 05-14-20, 10:07 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
People are counter-fitting this heavy, overpriced junk? (ducks)
Likes For FastJake:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.