Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton M6L or Ori M10 Superlight

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 07:17 AM
tomlengain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

First of all - cheers from Poland.
Because I am not able to decide by myself I would like to ask you for advice. I don't have any experience with bikes, so I am not able to make a decision.
I am looking for a bike, a folding bike. I need it to ride daily to the office, etc. But I would it to be as compact as possible, so I can get it with me to the bus, shop, etc. when needed. And I am lost. On one side I want i to be small and foldable, on the other - I don't want my daily rides to be a nightmare with small wheels, especially with quality of streets in Poland.
But I found two bikes, which I find interesting: Brompton M6L and Ori M10 Superlight.
I would go with Brompton, but it's price is very high. AI have a chance to get a new Ori m10 in a very good price. But you know - It's not Brompton

What would you recommend? go with one of these or get something else (dahon curl ), or a bike with bigger wheels maybe? I am afraid it can be potentially problematic to ride on a 16" wheels through polish streets.

Maybe someone could help?
Old 05-30-20, 11:20 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I think you should include theft resistance in your considerations too. There will be cases one way or another where you cannot take the bike along in. Then you need to think how long the bike can stay outside without getting stolen. I have seen Bromptons in Poland, but I have yet to see one parked outside. You presumably need a combination of a cheaper folder that you can occasionally park outside and a more compact more expensive one that you can use when you have a complete control of the bike. The optimal combination might be a Brompton + Dahon Boardwalk. A step down could be Ori M10 + no-name folder.
Old 05-30-20, 12:36 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
When the folded Brompton is not allowed inside somewhere, the solution is to put it in a soft shoulder bag like the Radical Design bag and carry it like a bag on your shoulder.

I never had any problem doing so. Nobody ever saw that it was a bike and nobody refused to let me enter with my bag.

You should never let a Brompton outside unattended. The Brompton is probably the best bike to steel because there is a huge demand for second hand Brompton and as consequence used Brompton are easy to sell and can be sold for a high price.
Old 05-30-20, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
England they do get stolen , I occasionally lock mine up to town bike racks, because I'm not even in a big city in the US..

& even a big bolt cutter is too much of an investment for a Meth addict.

Old 05-30-20, 01:29 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
When the folded Brompton is not allowed inside somewhere, the solution is to put it in a soft shoulder bag like the Radical Design bag and carry it like a bag on your shoulder.

I never had any problem doing so. Nobody ever saw that it was a bike and nobody refused to let me enter with my bag.

You should never let a Brompton outside unattended. The Brompton is probably the best bike to steel because there is a huge demand for second hand Brompton and as consequence used Brompton are easy to sell and can be sold for a high price.
In provincial areas of many countries you would have no problem parking the Brompton outside. If there is no manned coatroom you might not be able to bring the Brompton into a theater or museum. If there is a security screening for a governmental or a judicial building, you will most likely be unable to bring in the bike no matter what. These are just examples.
Old 05-30-20, 03:20 PM
Jipe

I agree with you that the Brompton is mostly a city bike known in big cities and unknown elsewhere by most people.

But some people may know what it is and what it is worth and being very compact folded, its an advantage for its owner is also an advantage for the thief !

I never had problems to bring it visible in security screened buildings.
Old 05-31-20, 04:39 AM
tomlengain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well... I think I may take it with my to the office, it shouldn't be a problem with its size when folded.
But I've never thought about taking it with me to the theatre etc. But at least I could try with a bag, when there was no other possibility.
My question was more - should I pay more fore Brompton or should I go with Ori?

Cheers

Tom
Old 05-31-20, 05:55 AM
Jipe

The Brompton is smaller folded and is bigger unfolded so it will better fit for taller cyclists.

The Brompton is a system with a lot of accessories and possibilities: mudguards, lightning systems (hub dynamo or other), bags...

Its front block bag is fantastic to carry any sort of things, the easiest way to daily carry your stuff (a rear rack isn't very usable on a small wheel bike because the heel easily hit what is carried on the rear rack. only narrow bags can be fitted on the rack, side packs usually do not fit because hit with the heels).

The Brompton is a solid bike that resists for a daily use during the whole year whatever the weather with several folds and unfolds every day.

And Brompton keeps it value and can easily be sold used.
Old 05-31-20, 07:02 AM
tomlengain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for all answers.
I think now Brompton is the better option.
But I have another question now - I am sorry! It will be probably silly question for you.
Should I go better with M or H handlebar? I consider these two options, because S could be not so comfortable for me I guess. I am not a sporty type.
I am only 5'7 tall.
Old 05-31-20, 10:56 AM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tomlengain
Ok, thanks for all answers.
I think now Brompton is the better option.
But I have another question now - I am sorry! It will be probably silly question for you.
Should I go better with M or H handlebar? I consider these two options, because S could be not so comfortable for me I guess. I am not a sporty type.
I am only 5'7 tall.
I was in your exact situation. I could not justify the price for a bicycle that I was unsure would work for me; however, I knew if I settled for something else and it didn't work out that I would always be wondering about the brompton and wasting more time and money acquiring one. If you can afford it, buy once cry once. Also, if the brompton doesn't work out, resale value is very high. After 1 year ownership, I can honestly say that it was money well spent.

How far is your commute to and from the office?

I am 5'9" and have an S bar. For the average rider or someone new to bicycling, I would look at an M bar, especially if you plan to utilize the luggage block. The H bar is better fitted for taller riders, but a test ride at your local bike shop is the best way to determine what works best for you.
Old 05-31-20, 12:40 PM
Jipe

For you size, H won't fit: the position will be to upright leading to back pain on long rides, all road shocks will directly reverberate in your spine.

Both M or S will fit.

S gives a more sporty behavior to the bike due to the more rigid handlebar.

With a S type, the highest front bags with fixed handle (T-bag, C-bag) will interfere with the brake and shifting cables. But the newest bags with soft top handle are usable with a S type.
Old 05-31-20, 02:52 PM
Majkiel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would take Ori if the price is substantially lower, though if the price is of no object then Brompton due to the folding size.

I ride 16'' Dahon in Warsaw. Wheel size is not a major issue most of the time, though any off-roading/bumpier fragments I would suggest to avoid and dahon's wheels are smaller than Brompton as far as I remember.

For the next bike, I will most likely take sth that's on 20 inch wheels. Small fold is neat and all but most of the times it's more convenient to lock your bike outside than lug it around.