Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Cycling shorts for big guys?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-13-20, 07:32 PM
Kokiafan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Simple enough thread...I like to wear real bike shorts, but I am 6 foot 250. If you are similar size, what shorts are you wearing and where did you get them?
I used to buy from Nashbar/Performance but cannot now. Where are you ordering yours?
Please share!
TIA
Old 06-13-20, 07:44 PM
insignia100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
Aerotech Designs. However, I think their supply chain is disrupted due to COVID-19, because I've been checking for the past week and they are sold out on the larger sizes it seems.
Old 06-14-20, 01:43 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100
Aerotech Designs. However, I think their supply chain is disrupted due to COVID-19, because I've been checking for the past week and they are sold out on the larger sizes it seems.
No problems with their shorts, but if you order from Aerotech Designs, I'd order a size large than you usually wear in street pants sized as s-m-l-xl-xxl-etc. I usually wear XL pants (I like a little loose fit), and their XL shorts were way too snug down there in the "nether region" . I exchanged them for XXL and they're been real workhorse shorts (I've got 4 pairs).
Old 06-15-20, 05:18 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 223 lbs I have a pair of Garneau Santos shorts in xl size and just bought another pair of Garneau shorts in xl size not sure the name but they are mountain bike style
I buy them at my LBS

Last edited by 257 roberts; 06-17-20 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 06:50 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Look at Endura or Bellwether bibshorts 2xl would probably work for you (if not be a bit big)... go where you can try them on as all sizing on bike shorts is not the same. Some company's 2xl wouldn't fit a teenage girl who was a toothpick.

Aerotech makes good bibs also, but spend the money for their top of the line (and know they run American sizes if not a little on the big side).
Old 06-15-20, 06:59 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Most of my bibs are XXL and I wear size 40 pants, and am 2" taller than you but slightly heavier right now. These fit, and differences between the manufacturers usually just mean some are a little snugger than I'd prefer and if I bought from the same company again I'd get XXXL if they have it. I haven't bought "name brand" cycling garb, which can get pretty spendy. I've typically bought stuff off Amazon that was in the $25-50 range and had good luck with them all. They've been comfortable enough and durable enough. I've had one or two bibs that finally got holes in the crotchular region and I got rid of them, but they'd lasted for many, many dozens of rides, so divided by $30 they were still a great value. Btw, when I say bibs I mean bibs; like many here I wouldn't recommend non-bib bike shorts, particularly not for a clyde. Bibs are better in general but especially for a clyde.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 06-16-20, 04:35 PM
iTrek

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear Pearl Izumi bibs.
Old 06-16-20, 11:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.kucharikclothing.com/ contact them send them your measurements ..https://www.kucharikclothing.com/contact_us.php

they're in California.. sewn there not import warehoused there..
Old 06-17-20, 07:59 AM
Kokiafan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
https://www.kucharikclothing.com/ contact them send them your measurements ..https://www.kucharikclothing.com/contact_us.php

they're in California.. sewn there not import warehoused there..
Ohhh this option I like!
Checking them out. Thanks for all the other responses!
Old 06-17-20, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
5'11" and 230# here. I wear Louis Garneau bibs in XL. They fit and they keep everything out of the way of the saddle.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-18-20, 11:46 AM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I hear many great things about the black bibs. Planned on ordering a pair...https://www.theblackbibs.com/
Old 06-19-20, 02:05 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Walmart, $6.88 gym shorts. Match that up with their $4.76 synthetic T shirts made out of recycled water bottles. For cold weather I switch to Fruit of the Loom $6.94 sweat pants and long sleeve, hi-vis T shirts. At $9 each I don't own many of the long sleeve T's

I've never understood the need for padded bike shorts. I seem to be able to ride any type of saddle as well. I didn't know this was unusual until the internet was invented.

Have to wonder if some people just unnecessarily complicate things.
Old 06-19-20, 04:37 PM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
6 ft 215 lbs, on a budget so I purchased some Sportneer for 21.99, from Amazon, very durable, and have lasted quite a bit and impressed enough I have ordered more.
Old 06-19-20, 08:50 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am right now 259, and just a half a hair under 6". I wear XL bibs, no issues with fit for me. I have pearl they are good for the price. I have one pair of bont I got for Christmas last year. They also are XL and are probably my most comfortable pair I own. Problem is they are twice the price of pearl but I really like them.
Old 06-20-20, 08:47 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
6'0, 330#, 44-46 waist.
I wear some no-name Amazon cheapie padded shorts with the overseas sizing, so it's a 4XL according to the label. 2X Under Armour shorts over just so you don't see every curve of my ass.
Old 06-20-20, 11:11 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 5'11" 276, I have specialized in XL, Castelli in 2xl (they run really small), REI in XL and Zonic in XL. The Castelli are pretty pricey but I find them better then the others I have. Especially when I'm on my mountain bike for 20 miles plus. On my road bike I'm fine with even the cheap REI, the way you sit on the saddle, not much padding is needed unless I'm in the tuck for speed.

Pop N Wood is crazy for not wearing shorts, I had too many saddle sores when I first started commuting form work to not wear them.
Old 09-03-20, 12:22 PM
Kokiafan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all of your great suggestions!
Old 09-04-20, 02:18 PM
C.corri

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I am a big fan of the Aerotech bibs. The bibs keep the short from rolling down the belly!! They seem to have very good build quality too. I have owned 4 pair, and they have lasted multiple years.
Old 09-05-20, 08:36 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
44-46 waist guy here. Can't really find a ton of good options, and was rocking some Santic padded shorts the past two years.

I just got some of these Sponeed brand, US 3X/Asia 4X size: https://www.amazon.com/sponeed-Cycli...dWU&th=1&psc=1

They fit awesome and the padding just does not quit. Between that and my Brooks B17 breaking in, I have zero saddle pain even after extended rides.
Old 09-05-20, 08:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I've been wearing Louis Garneau for some time and really like them. I started wearing when I was about 260 and continued as I lost weight.

Old 09-09-20, 07:21 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Check out www.theblackbibs.com. They make great stuff and they have sizes for us bigger guys.
Old 09-14-20, 05:40 PM
fords4life

Bikes: '20 Trek DS1, '84 Raleigh Prestige

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Is everyone wearing padded shorts/bibs? I'm fairly new but seemingly committed and loving it so starting to look at clothing. I've done a half dozen rides between 20-30 miles now and no issues other than some minor rubbing. I wore some workout tights this weekend and there was a noticeable difference in comfort and no rubbing issues. Just wondering if I should stick to tights or look for something padded. Hate to ruin a seemingly good thing by trying to make it better.
Old 09-15-20, 08:37 AM
jfoobar

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chadtrent
Check out www.theblackbibs.com. They make great stuff and they have sizes for us bigger guys.
6'4", 300-ish and I have had three of their bibs (the $40 basic models) for over a year now and cannot complain about quality or price. They are well-made and last. All three of mine are still going strong.

My only complaint has been that they were not tall enough for me so they were a little uncomfortable (shoulder pressure) when not on the bike. They have since come up with a "tall" model but I have to say that the increase in price from $40 to $65 just for lengthening the straps 2" and perhaps adding a little more inseam length seems a little steep. Still, since their prices are so low to begin with, you can't complain too much.

I have only recently moved away from bibs altogether and (due to a bike change) been able to achieve much more saddle comfort than I had before so I have gone down to a much thinner chamois than before. The Black Bibs chamois is pretty significant and is more than I think I need now. I have done a couple of rides with the Pearl Izumi "Men's SELECT Liner short" (my local REI sells them) under regular gym shorts on my last couple of rides and have been quite pleased. The largest size goes up to a 47" waist according to the sizing chart. Unlike the biking shorts I tried a couple of years ago before I switched to bibs, this liner does not ride down on me in the back ("say no to crack") at all, even though I am wearing them under shorts with just an elastic waistband.
Old 09-15-20, 08:45 AM
jfoobar

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fords4life
Is everyone wearing padded shorts/bibs? I'm fairly new but seemingly committed and loving it so starting to look at clothing. I've done a half dozen rides between 20-30 miles now and no issues other than some minor rubbing. I wore some workout tights this weekend and there was a noticeable difference in comfort and no rubbing issues. Just wondering if I should stick to tights or look for something padded. Hate to ruin a seemingly good thing by trying to make it better.
If you don't feel you need padding, by all means don't wear any. Some Chamois Butter (an amazing product by the way) will probably solve your chafing/rubbing problems. If you find yourself getting some soreness on longer and longer rides, shorts with thin chamois that don't feel like you have a box of cotton balls stuffed down your pants are a nice middle ground as well.
Old 09-16-20, 07:14 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jfoobar
6'4", 300-ish and I have had three of their bibs (the $40 basic models) for over a year now and cannot complain about quality or price. They are well-made and last. All three of mine are still going strong.

My only complaint has been that they were not tall enough for me so they were a little uncomfortable (shoulder pressure) when not on the bike. They have since come up with a "tall" model but I have to say that the increase in price from $40 to $65 just for lengthening the straps 2" and perhaps adding a little more inseam length seems a little steep. Still, since their prices are so low to begin with, you can't complain too much.

I have only recently moved away from bibs altogether and (due to a bike change) been able to achieve much more saddle comfort than I had before so I have gone down to a much thinner chamois than before. The Black Bibs chamois is pretty significant and is more than I think I need now. I have done a couple of rides with the Pearl Izumi "Men's SELECT Liner short" (my local REI sells them) under regular gym shorts on my last couple of rides and have been quite pleased. The largest size goes up to a 47" waist according to the sizing chart. Unlike the biking shorts I tried a couple of years ago before I switched to bibs, this liner does not ride down on me in the back ("say no to crack") at all, even though I am wearing them under shorts with just an elastic waistband.
Yeah. I am average height I guess and I have noticed that if I was much taller the bibs would probably be too short for me. I have never tried the tall model though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.