Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park CT-5 Chain Tool

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park CT-5 Chain Tool

Old 06-22-20, 12:09 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Park CT-5 Chain Tool

Can these be used on newer 10 or 11-spd chains? Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in search. I have a KMC X10 chain that want to install on a bike with a 1x drivetrain so I thought I would ask first. I don't have any experience with 10-12spd chains, by the way.
Old 06-22-20, 01:28 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
If you look at the Park web site under the CT-5 description it says: "Compatible with 3/32" 5 to 12-speed derailleur chains." The only exception is it will not peen Campagnolo 11-speed chains but that's not what you have.

So, yes, it will work with your 10-speed chain.
Old 06-22-20, 06:10 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I might be wrong but I just want to add that KMC chains typically have Master Links so a chain tool to install the chain is not needed.
Old 06-22-20, 06:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
About 4 out of 5 chains we install need to be shortened. So 80% of installed chains see a chain tool. We use Park CT-3s (.some extra number) and have no issues. For shortening the tool is of less issue as the link usually can allow for some spreading between the inner plates since they will be held back together by the assembly step, generally with a connecting link. Andy
Old 06-22-20, 06:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
I might be wrong but I just want to add that KMC chains typically have Master Links so a chain tool to install the chain is not needed.
Although you can often install a chain without shortening, especially if you have a "mountain" RDER, sometimes you'd have severe chain sag on the smallest ring/cogs if you don't.