Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to di2

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Upgrade to di2

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 11:18 AM
laf
Banned.

Bikes: CharlesraP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrade to di2

Hi, I would like to upgrade to di2 r8050 on my Cervelo R3 2014 (Ultegra mechanical version). I have a lot of problems with gear adjustement on that bike, and Im tired of it.

But my problem is what do I need to buy. I would like to keep the brakes (Ultegra 6800) and the crank (Rotor) and the brand new cassette.

What parts would I need to do the minimal job ?

Thank you
Old 06-28-20, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd let a Professional Bike shop do the work for you.. since I sense you will have myriad issues..
selling your bike & buying one already wired up may b a way to go.

shop can set the new one up like your existing bike for fit matching..
Old 06-28-20, 12:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If your bike wasn't made with Di2 in considered as an option for it's frame, then you might wind up with a lot of externally mounted stuff that just plain looks ugly. Get a new bike, become one of the N+1'ers. Or give your six year old bike to some kid from a low income family that might benefit from it.
Old 06-28-20, 01:04 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
If your sure the high cost of an electronic drivetrain outweighs the lower periodic cost of cable replacement than perhaps consider Sram wireless. You would not need the Di2 external battery and wires zip tied along the outside of the frame tubes.
Old 06-28-20, 03:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
I've done what you are describing, I re-used the crank, bottom bracket and (rim) brakes, cassette and chain. I had to purchase shifters, F & R derailers, battery (and seatpost shim) and battery charger, A junction, B junction and 7 E-Tube cables of assorted sizes. This system generally runs about $1100. I found Texas Cyclesport to be the best deal at the time (3 years ago) and they did a good job of packaging to fit.

I also did this on a year old Chinese carbon frame designed for Di2 and internal mechanical cable routing and that's the 1st question - is your frame set up for internal Di2 ?. Like others I would not spend this money on an external system based on esthetic reasons alone, forgetting that Di2 is a superior shifting system (IMO) and has required zero maintenance.

Would I do this on a 6 yr. old frame ? - No. Is your current bike 10 spd. ?, that would maybe mean a new crank, bottom bracket, cassette and chain, so add at least $200 to the budget. Is your rear wheel 11 spd. capable ?, not all are.

Begs the question that a certain level of mechanical aptitude is required to get this installed and set up, and you have issues now keeping a mechanical Ultegra operational ?. Do you really want to tackle this ?.

Good site here for add'l info. https://di2center.com/

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-28-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 06:22 AM
laf
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advices. Im hesitant to sell the bike since I already CLX50 clinchers. The bike also has internal routing. So, I would need to bike a bike with these wheels and di2. They are stupid expensive and on top of that will not be really faster.

Thank you
Old 06-29-20, 07:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
If you already have 11 speed and internal routing, no good reason not to use the bike you have. IMO you should just have a shop do it for you. Hard to find decent discounts on Shimano parts anymore and you'll have a lot to learn before being able to tackle the job yourself.
Old 06-29-20, 07:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by laf
Thanks for the advices. Im hesitant to sell the bike since I already CLX50 clinchers. The bike also has internal routing. So, I would need to bike a bike with these wheels and di2. They are stupid expensive and on top of that will not be really faster.
One possibility is to buy a new bike already di2 equipped, swap your CLX50 wheels to the new bike, install the new bike's wheels on your bike and sell it. That way you get to keep your expensive wheels and don't have the hassle of retrofitting the di2 drivetrain.

If you have any interest in disc brakes, a newer bike will let you make that change too but unless the CLX50 wheels are disc compatible they will have to be replaced.

Of course a new bike won't be faster. All you are doing is changing the shifting mechanism.
Old 06-29-20, 03:57 PM
laf
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
One possibility is to buy a new bike already di2 equipped, swap your CLX50 wheels to the new bike, install the new bike's wheels on your bike and sell it. That way you get to keep your expensive wheels and don't have the hassle of retrofitting the di2 drivetrain.

If you have any interest in disc brakes, a newer bike will let you make that change too but unless the CLX50 wheels are disc compatible they will have to be replaced.

Of course a new bike won't be faster. All you are doing is changing the shifting mechanism.
Yes thats an option but my CLX are clinchers. I would need to buy a bike with equivalent disc wheels. Which are stupid expensive.
Old 06-29-20, 07:10 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Wire issue can be solved by Sram wireless.