Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a Garmin scale?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 08:37 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I am fully ensconced the Garmin ecosystem (Garmin Edge, Garmin Forerunner, daily tracking of hydration, weight, etc.) and have started looking at their smart scales. But man. $200cdn for a scale. Yikes. Seems kind of extravagant.

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin scale? If so, what are your thoughts? Worth the price? What feedback can you share? Thank you.
Old 05-26-20, 12:51 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I've got one. It sits under my dresser while I actually use a $40 eufy scale... The Garmin gave me different numbers every time I stepped on it. I'm surprised they're still selling them.
Old 05-26-20, 10:47 PM
NoWhammies

Well they might not be selling them much longer. Wherever the scales are sold out, no more seem to be coming in stock. Could be the item is end of life.
Old 05-28-20, 06:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I am fully ensconced the Garmin ecosystem (Garmin Edge, Garmin Forerunner, daily tracking of hydration, weight, etc.) and have started looking at their smart scales. But man. $200cdn for a scale. Yikes. Seems kind of extravagant.

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin scale? If so, what are your thoughts? Worth the price? What feedback can you share? Thank you.
No. I have a $50 digital scale. Steep on, put the number into the app, it takes less than a minute. It's a lot of money for very little convenience. Also, I'm weird I'm my home internet usage and don't have wifi running when I don't need it.

Moreover, it doesn't measure what it claims to (and this isn't a Garmin problem it's all body composition scales). Impedence scales are guesswork. Mine ask if you're an athlete when you set it up, spits out wildly different numbers depending on your answer; if it was able to measure body composition it would have the right numbers and but have to ask. I've been told the principal has some merit, but it's thrown off by things like how hydrated you are.
Old 05-28-20, 10:26 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks for the feedback Seattle Forrest I am going to stick with my current digital scale and manually input the number for tracking purposes in to GC. Much cheaper and I don't need to worry about the product being dropped at some point.
Old 05-29-20, 04:56 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Thanks for the feedback Seattle Forrest I am going to stick with my current digital scale and manually input the number for tracking purposes in to GC. Much cheaper and I don't need to worry about the product being dropped at some point.

I too use this method. I would love the garmin scale but the value isn't there. We got a digital scale from Target I think for $40...
Old 05-29-20, 07:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I use a Garmin scale but don't remember paying $200. Maybe I did and don't remember.

Anyway, I used a Tanita for over 10 years and it started going funky. You could get a different weight by just stepping off and back on so I garage-saled it. Anyway, only rarely has the Garmin given me inconsistent readings. I use to take note all of the data but rarely notice anymore.

Old 05-29-20, 02:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
One thing I've noticed with mine that used to bother me, since NoWhammies has already made a decision and we can now move on to the thread drift part of your regularly scheduled program.

I can step off the scale and back on, and it gives me the exact same weight down to the 1/10 pound. I don't really believe a cheap bathroom scale has that much precision. And it does that every single time. So I tried weighing myself, picking up a cup of coffee, and weighing myself again with it. Exact same number down to the decimal point. The cup and the coffee weigh more than 1/10 pound. I think the cheap scales are programmed to give the same number within a short time period to look more precise so people don't return them.

But my weight can change by a pound or two based on my hydration status, and the scale is really there to make sure I don't get fat (it'll tell me if there's a problem long before my pants don't fit) and for that purpose it can be off a fraction of a pound.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-31-20, 07:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I dont quite understand why, but most consumer level scales have a recovery period before they will give you the same weight. Maybe some damping?
Old 06-02-20, 11:33 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
We have one. Works flawlessly. Shared by 3 people (myself + spouse + daughter). Automated sync is worth it, for us [the scale uses weight to upload data to the right account. can be manually overridden if weights are too close to tell people apart]

Other. less expensive scales, are as accurate but we'd typically not upload the data. Certainly not the details (BMI; body fat, muscle mass; etc.)
Old 06-03-20, 10:49 PM
NoWhammies

Well now thanks to gauvins I now want a Garmin scale again!
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-29-20, 10:23 PM
NoWhammies

So when you have a gift card for Best Buy and don't know what to buy, this happens:

(if you look carefully, you can see my cat checking out the new purchase)