Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Extra wheelset for versatility?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 08:10 PM
donger

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advanced 2, Cannondale SuperSix 3, Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 gravel bike. I'm new to this kind of riding. I had the LBS swap out the 700x38 tires (which I kept) and had them put on 700x32 tires. My initial plan was to use the 32's for dry weather riding on pavement with some trail riding with the local bike club and then switch to the 38's when the weather got more wet. What I have is that some of the trails here have loose sand and gravel where the 32's are barely stable. Now I'm thinking of putting the 38's on a second wheelset to switch out when I know I'm going to ride strictly off road. My question is this an unneccessary expense or am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
Ride safe and stay healthy!
Old 06-30-20, 09:25 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just did exactly what you did. I noticed I’m doing mostly road riding so I took off the 38mm gravel tires that came with my 2021 Diverge and put on some 32mm GP5000 road tires. There are some trails around where I live and I’m thinking I’ll need a second wheel set for some gravel tires. I’ll probably use the rims that came with the bike for the off-road setup and get some nice lower weight rims for the road riding setup. Not sure what rims to get. Just trying to save money right now lol.
Old 07-01-20, 02:13 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
An extra wheelset is really for convenience of not having to remove and install tires if you want a change. This obviously comes at a cost.

Ride your bike for awhile, if you find yourself wanting to always change your tires, then consider a 2nd wheelset.
Old 07-01-20, 07:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have had an extra wheelset since I got my gravel bike. What I found was that I would either ride with the road tires or the gravel tires, so there wasn't much reason to have two sets of wheels without a second bike
Old 07-01-20, 08:30 AM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I have two sets of wheels and change them pretty regularly. I got the same wheels (Mavic Allroad Pros) and have 40mm gravel tires on my off-road wheels and and 32mm slicks on the road wheels. 32 may sound a bit wide for road riding, but they do great and I have decided that I am never going back to 23 or 25mm tires.

I am running both sets tubeless, so the thought of swapping tires back and forth was out of the question. Swapping wheels, on the other hand, is easy. And I love the versatility. It's like having two different but similar bikes.
Old 07-01-20, 08:37 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
I've 2 sets of wheels as well, I personally think it's a very cost effective way to get essentially 2 bikes for just the price of a 2nd wheel set.

Of course it not just the wheels ($400-$450), it's also the rotors ($40), cassette ($35) and tires ($80). Still, better than another $1600 bike.

If you're seriously thinking of this, consider the Shimano GRX wheels, 700C. I've been reading good things about them.
Old 07-01-20, 10:46 AM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by donger
Hi all. I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 gravel bike. I'm new to this kind of riding. I had the LBS swap out the 700x38 tires (which I kept) and had them put on 700x32 tires. My initial plan was to use the 32's for dry weather riding on pavement with some trail riding with the local bike club and then switch to the 38's when the weather got more wet. What I have is that some of the trails here have loose sand and gravel where the 32's are barely stable. Now I'm thinking of putting the 38's on a second wheelset to switch out when I know I'm going to ride strictly off road. My question is this an unneccessary expense or am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
Ride safe and stay healthy!
I am doing the same thing. Just got a Revolt Advanced 0 and put 32mm GP5000 on the stock carbon wheels and bought a used set of the wheels that come on the Revolt 2 to use as a second wheelset for gravel. if you are doing serious road riding, may as well get a nicer set of wheels for that and use stock wheels for the gravel. Find some used deals and you can probably get away with a few hundred bucks for wheels plus 100ish for the cassette and disc then another 100 or so for tires.
Old 07-01-20, 10:55 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I have a 700x35mm set for road/touring and 650x48 for gravel.
Old 07-01-20, 02:32 PM
donger

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advanced 2, Cannondale SuperSix 3, Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody for the information, it was very helpful. I've been riding road bikes for a long time and the Revolt 2 is my first "non-road" bike so it's all new to me. I will be looking at the Shimano GRX wheels now.