Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clothing advice for Bigger riders.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-24-20, 06:29 PM
iCruze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the form and excited to contribute! This has gone on my 2nd year biking I started last year at almost 420lbs and I'm down to about 370-375, I've got the bike all tuned for my needs but this year I'm going on longer rides now about 20-25km (12-15 miles) and have noticed more chafing or rubbing mainly from the saddle and even causing cuts/blisters to an extent. Currently, I've just been wearing normal shorts out for the rides and I know cycling shorts exist for a reason but I can't find any in Canada with larger waist sizes (my jeans are 48-50 inch waist).

I've found a pair of under armour compression shorts that are my size but they don't have any padding for the saddle in there but I wonder if these will be better than what I use now? Or if you have any suggestions on what you use that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-20, 06:53 PM
insignia100

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
I've been using these for the last two months and could not be happier. For what its worth I'm 5'7", 267 lbs, and wear 48" waist pants.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/atd-...ib-shorts.html

They are a bit pricey, but so far have proven to be well worth the price.
Likes For insignia100:
Old 05-26-20, 05:41 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Yes

source some good padded shorts and wear them under your regular shorts.

aerotech is good

dont know your height , but i once was up to 3xl in Louis Garneau shorts and the fit was roomy- my peak max weight was 5'9 and 330 lbs

i also use bib shorts almost all the time. The design prevents the waist from pinching. This is applicable no matter your size but is especially nice for us gentlemen with robust carriages

Last edited by DMC707; 05-26-20 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-26-20, 07:53 AM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fellow Canuck and I love Aero Tech Designs. I've got two of their jerseys and I love them. They ship to Canada and aren't too pricey. As for shorts, I've been able to get by with a XXL pair from MEC and a pair of Louis Garneaus. I haven't bought shorts yet from ATD but I have no doubt they would have a pair that would fit you and make your rides more comfortable.
Old 05-26-20, 12:34 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
For bibs I highly recommend these:

https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/bibs-shortin
Old 05-27-20, 11:21 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Endura, Bellwether, Aerotech all make good bibs. I wear a 2x in the Endura and Bellwether bib shorts (make sure they aren't race cut).
Old 05-30-20, 05:08 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Another vote for Aerotech...
Old 05-30-20, 06:09 PM
doodoobrown

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
howdy and congrats on the journey so far! and +1 for the recommendations above. if you're like me, you'll feel a little self conscious about how ridiculous cycling clothes looks on certain body types, so i just wear a bib underneath (not too baggy) regular shorts/shirts. a good seat (this required lots of trial and error for me) + support from cycle wear really helped get me motivated just to get on a bike.
Old 06-01-20, 09:53 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I'd second the recommendation for bib shorts. Without getting too explicit, let's just say they're even more crucial for us heftier individuals than they are for skinny riders, and are overall far superior to simple cycling shorts for everyone across the board.

Also, it's your choice if you want to wear baggy t-shirts and shorts over the cycling garb, but as you get faster you come to appreciate the slick traditional cycling garb a lot. I wore baggy stuff early on when my speeds were slower and I was cruising a mountain bike around on road tires. About three years into it I got a road bike and also made the switch to traditional road cycling garb, and really appreciated the way it cut the wind flapping and the extra drag that baggy clothes cause while cruising at higher speeds. I forced myself to get past the embarassment and inhibitions of knowing I looked really fat in my cycling clothes. At the end of the day you're doing this for yourself, not to impress anyone else, and you should do what you want and feel comfortable with. Padded bib shorts are definitely extremely helpful when out riding, whether you wear something baggy over them or not.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 06-02-20, 07:20 PM
supermatt9

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote here for Aerotech designs. I've been as big as a 46" waist and their 3xl bibs fit me very well. The thing I like best about bibs is that my butt crack doesn't hang out anymore.
What I've been doing lately is a pair of cycling shorts underneath my bibs. Skinny riders will scoff at this idea, but as a big rider, the extra padding definitely helps me stay in the saddle longer.
Keep at it and it'll get easier. I'm down almost 70 pounds and can ride 45-50 miles pretty comfortably.
Likes For supermatt9:
Old 07-05-20, 07:23 PM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Aerotech makes nice stuff, but shipping times have been sooooo slow from the U.S. to Canada because of delays related to Covid-19, so just be prepared for a waitf.

Our typical delivery time to Canada from our U.S. address prior to Covid was 7-10 days and since Covid it has been on average 30 days. We decided to stop shipping internationally until delivery times get back to normal because we had so many international customers unhappy with the delivery delays.