Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is my bike worth stealing?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-03-20, 08:57 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
It looks nice, so someone will want it, maybe to give to a kid. Heck, maybe a kid would steal it for himself.

Makes me think of commuters that make their bicycles look bad on purpose as a camouflage so that thieves might look elsewhere.

See this link and read the comment about paint. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/robinhood.html
I removed most of the factory decals on the bike (in the picture) to try to make it look older but seemed to have made it look even nicer!!

Rainy season is almost here and will ride it on the rains to get some muck on it!
Old 07-03-20, 09:17 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
BTW...Those wheels are not 20 wheels. Time to update the ignore list.
Let's make a bet. You give me $1000 if it turns out to be "20 wheels.

If I lose, I leave the forum permanently.
Old 07-03-20, 09:25 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Precisely. I figure as long as I'm not the lowest-hanging fruit-- not the worst lock (in some places I've parked having a lock at all puts me above the pack), not having the best bike-- it could be worse. And if I can park somewhere that has other bikes so the thieves have others to choose from (especially others that are easier to steal or more desirable than mine), I prefer that.
One place in the city I go to have plenty of other bikes parked next to each other. Most of them use cheap cable locks. Have no problems there!

Never seen anyone use chain lock but me (on a few occassions). It's always a cheap cable lock or a good U-lock. Would also love a U-lock but the city only have few bike racks around and tend to be over-crowded. Almost everyone use very long cable locks so that 4 bikes can lock to the same post.

I have a very long chain lock but it's heavy and noisy. Makes you think something is wrong with the bike and I have to remove it and use the cable lock if I'm diagnosing the bike for any problem.
Old 07-03-20, 10:19 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
One place in the city I go to have plenty of other bikes parked next to each other. Most of them use cheap cable locks. Have no problems there!

Never seen anyone use chain lock but me (on a few occassions). It's always a cheap cable lock or a good U-lock. Would also love a U-lock but the city only have few bike racks around and tend to be over-crowded. Almost everyone use very long cable locks so that 4 bikes can lock to the same post.

I have a very long chain lock but it's heavy and noisy. Makes you think something is wrong with the bike and I have to remove it and use the cable lock if I'm diagnosing the bike for any problem.
Out of curiosity, where did you find a "very long" chain lock? I had considered a chain lock but I really need something at least 6 feet long so it can go through wheels, frame, and around whatever I'm locking to (which, around here, might have to be something thick like a lamppost or tree because there's nothing else).
Old 07-03-20, 10:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11421 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 1,703 Posts
Let's make a bet. You give me $1000 if it turns out to be "20 wheels.

If I lose, I leave the forum permanently.
Old 07-04-20, 12:15 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 169 Posts

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words

My 2002 beater bike must only be worthy of 100 words cause it looks a bazillion times worse and yet I still lock it up with a $9.00 Wally World cable lock.
Old 07-04-20, 02:10 AM
krecik

Bikes: coastie

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 54 Posts
No one's gonna take that. If you left it unlocked someone would joy ride it and then toss it in a river but so long as you lock it with a secure lock (D lock for example) no one is gonna bother. The kids won't want it cause the seat is too high and the flippers won't want it cause it's goofy as ****.

You're safe
Likes For krecik:
Old 07-04-20, 05:34 AM
cubewheels

Out of curiosity, where did you find a "very long" chain lock? I had considered a chain lock but I really need something at least 6 feet long so it can go through wheels, frame, and around whatever I'm locking to (which, around here, might have to be something thick like a lamppost or tree because there's nothing else).
It's those long, hardened chain locks to secure motorcycles. They're really thick and heavy and wrapped in some thick fabric material. You should find them in an automotive store or the automotive / lock section in hardware stores.

They'll be around 6 lbs in weight for 6 ft! A weight weeny's worst nightmare!

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-04-20 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-04-20, 06:03 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by krecik View Post
No one's gonna take that. If you left it unlocked someone would joy ride it and then toss it in a river but so long as you lock it with a secure lock (D lock for example) no one is gonna bother. The kids won't want it cause the seat is too high and the flippers won't want it cause it's goofy as ****.

You're safe
Indeed, it's goofy as **** Nothing else like it on the bike park!
Old 07-04-20, 07:43 AM
krecik

Indeed, it's goofy as **** Nothing else like it on the bike park!
But it's not a bad idea by any means. I had an idea at one time to convert a bmx into a folding style bike (except that it wouldn't fold) by adding a really long seat post and adding an uncut fork with lots of spacers to get the stem higher and mtb bars. It's a nice and cheap solution that works and doesn't attract attention of thieves. I currently ride a beater mtb i recovered from a skip. It looks really **** but it works well as a single speed and no one will want it

Kret.
Likes For krecik:
Old 07-04-20, 07:44 AM
krecik

Plus I love it and that's all that matters.
Old 07-04-20, 04:11 PM
Kat12

It's those long, hardened chain locks to secure motorcycles. They're really thick and heavy and wrapped in some thick fabric material. You should find them in an automotive store or the automotive / lock section in hardware stores.

They'll be around 6 lbs in weight for 6 ft! A weight weeny's worst nightmare!
Aha, I'll try that, thanks! (I'm not concerned about the weight too much, as long as I can manage to store it on the bike.) Does it have a lock with it, or do you just use a padlock?
Old 07-04-20, 04:31 PM
cubewheels

Aha, I'll try that, thanks! (I'm not concerned about the weight too much, as long as I can manage to store it on the bike.) Does it have a lock with it, or do you just use a padlock?
Cool! Some includes padlock with the purchase, some with its own lock like in cable locks. They're at least $50 (non-Kryptonite brand). Half the price of my bike!
Old 07-04-20, 05:35 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by krecik View Post
But it's not a bad idea by any means. I had an idea at one time to convert a bmx into a folding style bike (except that it wouldn't fold) by adding a really long seat post and adding an uncut fork with lots of spacers to get the stem higher and mtb bars. It's a nice and cheap solution that works and doesn't attract attention of thieves. I currently ride a beater mtb i recovered from a skip. It looks really **** but it works well as a single speed and no one will want it

Kret.
That is a very good idea. I'm not a big fan of the folding joints of a folding bike because of the badly damaged roads we have. But since yours doesn't fold, sounds good to me. It would still be small and especially short, still easier to store around the house than full size wheel bikes.

Mods I did to my bike is to give me a correct fit and to give me a lower, more aero position. The goofy alien looking saddle for soaking the shocks of our bady neglected roads. It's that bad!
Old 07-05-20, 12:01 AM
krecik

That is a very good idea. I'm not a big fan of the folding joints of a folding bike because of the badly damaged roads we have. But since yours doesn't fold, sounds good to me. It would still be small and especially short, still easier to store around the house than full size wheel bikes.

Mods I did to my bike is to give me a correct fit and to give me a lower, more aero position. The goofy alien looking saddle for soaking the shocks of our bady neglected roads. It's that bad!
Another reason why I wanted to use a bmx frame is because they're almost always have an american bb shell. You know, the really big drum in the bb area? Well that kind of bb shell accepts one piece cranks (also known as Ashtabula cranks) and those things are impossible to damage.

The non threaded bike bb shell is the best bb design imo because it has no thread. This is part of the reason why ashtabula cranks never un-loose. Firstly they're one piece but also there are no threaded cups. Also if you cross thread the cranks, they're much cheaper to replace than a frame.

Adult size bike frames with this type of bb shell are almost impossible to find. I coudn never understand why. The american bb shell is brobably the best bb design ever and was just completly discarded in favour of threaded cups...

Kret.
Likes For krecik:
Old 07-05-20, 04:24 AM
blue192

Bikes: Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Is your bike worth stealing? Yes. Yes it is. Idiots even been known to steal children's tricycles let alone a full size bike.
Old 07-05-20, 12:24 PM
Kat12

Cool! Some includes padlock with the purchase, some with its own lock like in cable locks. They're at least $50 (non-Kryptonite brand). Half the price of my bike!
But half the price of replacing your bike.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 07-06-20, 12:58 AM
cubewheels

But half the price of replacing your bike.
...Plus the time to give it the proper fit, mods, and weight distribution! You seem to have a point!
Or they would probably steal the lock and leave the bike behind!
Old 07-06-20, 02:15 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 131 Posts

NO bike is worth stealing!

but I walk to a different moral standard than most.
Old 07-06-20, 05:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 323 Posts
Of course, this question is best asked on the meth-head or tweaker discussion forums, under "should I steal this?"

I think that you'll get the answers you need.
Old 07-06-20, 10:23 PM
stoheaven21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any bike is worth stealing for someone who steals..? XD