Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Columbus Flat Mount Chainstays

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 07-06-20, 02:23 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Has anyone used these yet? If so, can you mention what you like and dislike about them? They look intriguing.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 07-06-20, 02:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I have some, but I haven't decided what to do with them yet. I don't like that they are so tall. Also, the crimp for the mounts is rather crude. I only got them because I like the bend. The regular s-bend are meant to make it out to the dropouts right at the end, so using them for discs means something has to be compromised. Mostly chainring clearance.

Did you have some Deda disc stays? I couldn't find them.
Old 07-06-20, 02:56 PM
BigPoser

No I don't. I really like the look of S Bend stays, and they'll match the curved seat stays on a build in the queue. However, it looks like I'd have to damn near cut through the whole stay for the caliper mounts which I don't like. I'd rather have some more meat left over in the stay when milling for the mounts.
Old 07-06-20, 03:44 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts

This is the "long low slack" MTB frame I made about a year ago. Columbus S-bend CS and a cast dropout from Ceeway that had the brake mounts included which you can just about see if you zoom into the furthest-away and dingiest corner of the picture. There was plenty of clearance for the cranks and about a 2.5" tyre IIRC. The bike rides like a hot damn.
Old 07-06-20, 06:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

There are some pictures of part of the columbus flat mount stays in this post. I can take more pictures if you want
https://www.bikeforums.net/21552828-post36.html
Old 07-06-20, 10:05 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I have used them. The flat mount crimp is kind of rough but it mostly fills in when brazing, the outside of the stay is a bit uneven from crimping. They are tall/thick at the dropout end but they need that for the mount. I really like that the dropout ends run parallel for the last 4-5inches. If I use them again I might try to get 2 drive side stays and cut out the area for the flat mount to fit.

Here are a couple of pics

one checking the fit of the flat mount the other from the inside

Likes For wsteve464:
Old 07-07-20, 11:15 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by wsteve464
I have used them. The flat mount crimp is kind of rough but it mostly fills in when brazing, the outside of the stay is a bit uneven from crimping. They are tall/thick at the dropout end but they need that for the mount. I really like that the dropout ends run parallel for the last 4-5inches. If I use them again I might try to get 2 drive side stays and cut out the area for the flat mount to fit.

Here are a couple of pics

one checking the fit of the flat mount the other from the inside

They are definitely thick. I'll be using Syntace dropouts it shouldn't be too much of an issue really. I do like the set up though.

How is it getting the placement set up? I assume pretty easy with a flat mount fixture.
Old 07-07-20, 11:06 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
They are definitely thick. I'll be using Syntace dropouts it shouldn't be too much of an issue really. I do like the set up though.

How is it getting the placement set up? I assume pretty easy with a flat mount fixture.
I used the Incepi fixture. The hardest part was getting the distance from the dropout to the mounting crimp as it is a specific place on the stay. Other than that no problem bolt the fixture to the stay and weld/braze it all together.
Old 07-08-20, 10:00 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by wsteve464
I used the Incepi fixture. The hardest part was getting the distance from the dropout to the mounting crimp as it is a specific place on the stay. Other than that no problem bolt the fixture to the stay and weld/braze it all together.
Yeah I would think that could be tricky for sure. Don't over miter the ends!

How much wiggle room is there where the caliper mount sits?
Old 07-08-20, 05:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

there is very little wiggle, unless you are willing to have a huge gap. Which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I decided to wimp out and go with IS mounts and TA dropouts with the regular s-bend stays

In this pic, you can make out that if you move the mount forwards or backwards, it will gap out from the stay

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-08-20 at 05:18 PM.