Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Options to replace brakes Dahon Getaway V?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 02:30 AM
MLBxx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently was given an old folder. Dahon Getaway V. Still functions fine, just needs some cleaning up and a new seat other than the brakes.

I have no knowledge of the brake system used on the Getaway V and know very little about bicycle brakes in general.

Instead of trying to fix the brake assembly I am wondering if there are alternative aftermarket options I can install like caliper brakes. Something that can be maintained more easily. Can't post image of the brake since I just joined, but if you google "190167 leonardauction" there is a good high res image of what looks like the same brake system as my Dahon.
Old 06-26-20, 07:16 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
What is on the bike is about as simple and good as you can get for that bike. Maybe replace the brake pads with new or Koolstop pads and adjust the brakes by the book/manual and you will be good to go for years. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 06-26-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-26-20, 01:05 PM
MLBxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
What is on the bike is about as simple and good as you can get for that bike. Maybe replace the brake pads with new or Koolstop pads and adjust the brakes by the book/manual and you will be good to go for years. Roger
Would getting some front caliper brakes be an easier option. The bike already has a mount hole for a front brake. I’m not looking to spend a lot of money and time on the bike since it’s not my main one. Just for throwing in the trunk if I need to drive somewhere and can’t bring my main bike.
Old 06-26-20, 05:17 PM
rhenning

Never seen one of them without a front brake and assumed you had one. Previous owner must have taken it off. Yes get a front caliper brake and you do not need expensive one. Make sure the reach long enough to contact your rim and you are in business. Use the hole in the fork for mounting. For what it worth as in a car more than 60% of your braking it from the front. Roger
Old 06-26-20, 06:02 PM
MLBxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never seen one of them without a front brake and assumed you had one. Previous owner must have taken it off. Yes get a front caliper brake and you do not need expensive one. Make sure the reach long enough to contact your rim and you are in business. Use the hole in the fork for mounting. For what it worth as in a car more than 60% of your braking it from the front. Roger
Online I saw a few without so I assumed it was normal. This thing has been passed between several owners.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I order one that fits? Is there a standard system to measure or are there any that are adjustable?
Old 06-27-20, 07:08 AM
rhenning

My advice is to go to a bike shop and ask their advice. They would be good people to know if you need other things for your bike. Do not just order a brake. They may have used parts that will solve your problems. Look on EBAY to see if there is one for sale. Without the bike in my hands I am not going to be much more help as I have nothing to measure. If you want to bring the bike to Wisconsin I probably have some parts that would fit but I m not going to send you something on the chance it will fit. Best of luck with it. Roger
Old 06-27-20, 11:58 AM
rhenning

Does your bike look like this one which is my single speed Stowaway. If so adding a brake would be simple. Roger

Old 06-27-20, 02:08 PM
rhenning

Since I dug the bike out I added front brakes to it. It took a couple of hours to do. The brakes are Schwinn approved side pulls used on Varsity bikes from about 1966 to the end of the 1970s. I am not sure it was worth the time and effort. They work but they do not really help stop that much. I will fine tune them some more and maybe put new pads on. I will try to post the pictures. Roger

Old 06-29-20, 01:21 PM
MLBxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I dug the bike out I added front brakes to it. It took a couple of hours to do. The brakes are Schwinn approved side pulls used on Varsity bikes from about 1966 to the end of the 1970s. I am not sure it was worth the time and effort. They work but they do not really help stop that much. I will fine tune them some more and maybe put new pads on. I will try to post the pictures. Roger
Regarding your photos, mine is different. It’s definitely a Getaway V after looking at a bunch of photos and finding the remnants of the purple logo sticker on the bike. Nothing legible, but I can tell it’s the same sticker from photos online.

I went to two bike shops and called another. Two had no caliper brakes in stock, the other didn’t have anything that would fit the bike. In my area it seems like the bike shops are having trouble getting bikes and parts in stock.

I ordered a front brake off Amazon instead.

There are two issue so I’ll have to order another one and return that one.

The recessed mounting bolt that goes on the rear of the brake to secure it is too wide for the hole on the bike. This isn’t that big of an issue since I have some 1/4” bolts that reach through the mount hole on the bike that fit the brake. I can secure it with a washer and nut on the back.

The top of the fork arms is also too thick so it just barely reaches low enough to touch the top of the tire.

The fork arms are also a bit too short so they don’t engage the rim correctly and hit part of the tire.

Im going to try and order one with a larger fork, but thinner fork arms since there isn’t much clearance between the mounting hole and the tire. I could maybe get slightly less thick tires too.

If I can get the right size it should work out perfectly. May need a new brake handle since the original one is starting to lose it’s plastic covering.

I’m thinking maybe a BMX style brake. The Tektro 985 looks like it may work.

Or on eBay if you search 890 BMX brake that one looks promising and similar to the one in your images.

Last edited by MLBxx; 06-29-20 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 03:55 PM
MLBxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so after calling some bike shops one ended up giving me an older caliper brake for free, just had to buy some new pads for a few bucks. I didn’t have the bike with me at the time, but for free I couldn’t turn him down. He had a box with older brake parts and that was t only complete one.

Was excited to put in on when I got home since it looked perfect. Problem is the fork arms are a bit too long so even in the highest position the pads dont reach the rims by about an inch. Sucks since I think it looks pretty good on the bike since it’s silver.

Is there any way to get the pads higher, maybe some form of extender? Flat piece with mount holes on either side? I see things called brake V extenders, not sure if those would work. Can’t post images so hard to describe what I mean. Other than the length it fits the where great.

Last edited by MLBxx; 07-06-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 02:23 PM
rhenning

The only way to get them right is to buy the right size. At least you do not have a lot of money tied up in them. Roger