Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

How long are we going to continue to play like we can stop this?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

How long are we going to continue to play like we can stop this?

Old 07-07-20, 08:29 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
That would be Trump
There is a special forum for you to waller in that....
Old 07-07-20, 09:08 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 647 Posts

Last edited by wgscott; 07-07-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 05:03 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by u235 View Post
​​​​​
My opinion and thoughts doesn't promote or slow the threat or spread or it's impact. I think until there is a cure and drug for this, it will just keep going on and on. Some believe if they dislike it enough, it will just go away. I do not pretend to have the answer for the world. I do what I can and control for myself and family.
No, but your actions do.

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Once again, a compassion argument...

I don't think any of us would say we were "cool with" a loved one dying of ANYTHING, much less this. There are some of us that have an understanding that it could happen and is (mostly) out of our control or hands as to that outcome.
Yes, that's right. "Compassion" is not a dirty word. I have the compassion to not want to possibly unknowingly pass this virus on to someone else because I just felt like going out. I have the compassion to want to save as many lives as we can.

Everyone has the understanding that it could happen. The difference is that some people also understand that we *do* have some control over it, so we're not ready to throw in the towel and say "meh, people are gonna die, get over it, let's just all go out and have a big coronavirus orgy." And most people who callously say "well, people are going to die, I want to get my hair cut or go to a restaurant" would feel quite differently if it was going to be their kid dying alone on that ventilator.
Old 07-09-20, 05:47 PM
u235

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
No, but your actions do.

Yes, that's right. "Compassion" is not a dirty word. I have the compassion to not want to possibly unknowingly pass this virus on to someone else because I just felt like going out. I have the compassion to want to save as many lives as we can.

Everyone has the understanding that it could happen. The difference is that some people also understand that we *do* have some control over it, so we're not ready to throw in the towel and say "meh, people are gonna die, get over it, let's just all go out and have a big coronavirus orgy." And most people who callously say "well, people are going to die, I want to get my hair cut or go to a restaurant" would feel quite differently if it was going to be their kid dying alone on that ventilator.
It's not one or the other. There is a third group that assume the outcome without a cure/vaccine is inevitable AND also do what they can to protect themselves. I haven't cut my hair since February and do not plan on it any time soon.

Last edited by u235; 07-09-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 09:45 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

I cut mine today with the dog clippers.

My wife idiotically went to the dentist for a routine exam. She is a virologist and should know better.
Old 07-09-20, 10:28 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 17954 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I cut mine today with the dog clippers.

My wife idiotically went to the dentist for a routine exam. She is a virologist and should know better.
...I went to my dentist last week, but it was to have a cavity filled. What I don't want to end up involved in is a root canal right now. I will say I felt safer at the dentist, with all their gloves and face shields than I do at Trader Joe's. Even with them reaching into my mouth. I think they seemed to be more fearful of me than I was of them. My dentist likes to talk, and he regaled me with stories of how they are last in line for PPE, even though they are probably at some of the highest risk of any health care workers.
Old 07-10-20, 07:14 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by u235 View Post
I haven't cut my hair since February and do not plan on it any time soon.
Started doing DIY cuts, myself. Working out fine. And it's already paid for itself, skipping the amount of time involved. (Uh, and ignoring that little [well, okay: rather large] divot I took out, a few months back. But it's all grown out now. Can't even tell that happened.)
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-10-20, 07:26 AM
u235

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Started doing DIY cuts, myself. Working out fine. And it's already paid for itself, skipping the amount of time involved. (Uh, and ignoring that little [well, okay: rather large] divot I took out, a few months back. But it's all grown out now. Can't even tell that happened.)
I have clippers and the guards. I did my kids hair for years, just not mine. I'd trust everyone else more than myself to cut my own hair. I've stopped using video in my work meetings because I look pretty bad. Maybe I should at least start combing it. For the last 15 years, never had it long enough that a comb really did much

Last edited by u235; 07-10-20 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 10:49 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...I went to my dentist last week, but it was to have a cavity filled. What I don't want to end up involved in is a root canal right now. I will say I felt safer at the dentist, with all their gloves and face shields than I do at Trader Joe's. Even with them reaching into my mouth. I think they seemed to be more fearful of me than I was of them. My dentist likes to talk, and he regaled me with stories of how they are last in line for PPE, even though they are probably at some of the highest risk of any health care workers.
All such facilities should have a testing site in-house, with one hour turn around. Patients arrive an hour before their exam, get tested, and off they go.

Yeah, I know we have neither the supplies, capacity, nor the will for this, but this would be totally feasible in a well-organized health care system.
Old 07-10-20, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11368 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,669 Posts
All such facilities should have a testing site in-house, with one hour turn around. Patients arrive an hour before their exam, get tested, and off they go.

Yeah, I know we have neither the supplies, capacity, nor the will for this, but this would be totally feasible in a well-organized health care system.
In the near future, Temple University is going to set up a one-hour testing site for students. Just heard it on the news the other day. Big round of applause.
Old 07-10-20, 11:56 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 17954 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 1,197 Posts

...I actually mentioned this to my dentist at the time. I think I used the phrase, "in a sane world". He just rolled his eyes at me.
Old 07-10-20, 11:56 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
In the near future, Temple University is going to set up a one-hour testing site for students. Just heard it on the news the other day. Big round of applause.
That's great. But they will have to test everybody, repeatedly.

This document is hard to read. The assumptions about social distancing and PPE are unclear. But the upshot is that they modeled a 5000 person campus and assumed some level of contagion. If they tested everybody every day, and then removed the infected to quarantine, then only about 150 students got infected. If they tested every other day, then the number went up to about 250. If they tested every 7 days, it went to 3500 of the 5000 students....

The point being, testing alone, without severe social distancing restrictions, is not enough for a campus.
Old 07-10-20, 01:02 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 97 Posts
I have a dental appointment next week for routine cleaning. I'm debating that.

I got my hair cut yesterday for the second time since the start of the crisis. My stylist built a one room 'salon' in her (rural) back yard. She takes a limited number of clients she knows are taking all the precautions they can. It's a small space she can readily clean between clients and she of course requires masks. My hair is shorter than it's ever been in my life so I don't really even feel the need to get it cut, but this is her income and she went through a lot of work to find a way to continue working safely so I want to support her.

I have no such feelings toward my dentist, so I may pass on that appointment. OTOH, I don't foresee the situation getting better around here in the next six months, so putting something off means putting it off for some time.
Old 07-10-20, 01:16 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 469 Posts
I've had one necessary Dr. appt since early March and that is it. No other business outside the home - my wife has volunteered to do all the grocery shopping every 2wk (I am the cook). I do go for near daily bike rides where I usually don't see any other cyclist and when I do it is easy to keep >10ft away and also occasional weekend hikes where there is no one else. Not really sure what I should be missing.
Old 07-10-20, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11368 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,669 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I've had one necessary Dr. appt since early March and that is it.
I have to get my clotting level checked every few weeks. Last month I went and a health care worker got on the elevator with her mask down. Turns out she worked in the suite where my test is performed and walked right by me with her mask still down. I glared at her and stepped away. She asked me what was wrong so I told her. Still didnít pull up her mask and instead went into a back room where others were and changed her shoes. Complained to my nurse who later told me she was reprimanded.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-10-20, 01:44 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I have a dental appointment next week for routine cleaning. I'm debating that.

I got my hair cut yesterday for the second time since the start of the crisis. My stylist built a one room 'salon' in her (rural) back yard. She takes a limited number of clients she knows are taking all the precautions they can. It's a small space she can readily clean between clients and she of course requires masks. My hair is shorter than it's ever been in my life so I don't really even feel the need to get it cut, but this is her income and she went through a lot of work to find a way to continue working safely so I want to support her.
Since March, my daughter has given me two haircuts- most recently last week. She's going to move out soon, and so I'll have to beg my wife to do it. She's reluctant.
Old 07-10-20, 01:49 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

I have to get my clotting level checked every few weeks. Last month I went and a health care worker got on the elevator with her mask down. Turns out she worked in the suite where my test is performed and walked right by me with her mask still down. I glared at her and stepped away. She asked me what was wrong so I told her. Still didnít pull up her mask and instead went into a back room where others were and changed her shoes. Complained to my nurse who later told me she was reprimanded.
Mine was (also?) with a hematologist. I had to fill out form ahead of time listing my travels and contacts in past two weeks, then have same questions when I arrived in a space set up just inside door and had temperature taken. Everyone had masks and there was ample sanitizer everywhere too.
Old 07-10-20, 02:00 PM
MinnMan

I would be enraged by that.

I have had a couple of medical appointments. If the elevator appears and somebody is in it, mask or not, I don't get in. If you are in the elevator and someone enters, it's harder. This happened to me last week. This woman began to enter the elevator, so I quickly exited, even though it wasn't my floor. (Turns out I was exiting into the Ob/Gyn clinic reception area. oops). Lousy air circulation in elevators. Not comfortable.
Old 07-10-20, 02:29 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I typically take the stairs even when no covid. Not everyone can I understand especially when 10+ flights. It is not always easy finding the stairway door, sometimes you have to ask.
Old 07-10-20, 02:40 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Since March, my daughter has given me two haircuts- most recently last week. She's going to move out soon, and so I'll have to beg my wife to do it. She's reluctant.
You can do it yourself. It isn't any worse than changing brake pads. I have cut my own for about the last 15 years. Just get some electric shears from Costco or similar, and find a mirror. Start with a larger blade (like #8 ) than you think you need, and just see how it goes. As you gain confidence, you can cut it shorter without issue. The back can be a bit challenging, but at least you never have to look at it. It helps if your hair is wavy or curly as it is more forgiving of imperfections, but with some patience, anyone can do this and make it look far better than a typical barber. (The last time I went to one, the woman cutting my hair was crying the whole time because her boyfriend was about to enter prison, and then she poked me in the back of the neck with scissors for good measure. That was the last time I let someone else cut my hair. Rumor has it that Neil Young went to the same place. If you look at his haircuts, this is hardly an endorsement.)
Old 07-10-20, 02:43 PM
MinnMan

You can do it yourself. It isn't any worse than changing brake pads. I have cut my own for about the last 15 years. Just get some electric shears from Costco or similar, and find a mirror. Start with a larger blade (like #8 ) than you think you need, and just see how it goes. As you gain confidence, you can cut it shorter without issue. The back can be a bit challenging, but at least you never have to look at it. It helps if your hair is wavy or curly as it is more forgiving of imperfections, but with some patience, anyone can do this and make it look far better than a typical barber. (The last time I went to one, the woman cutting my hair was crying the whole time because her boyfriend was about to enter prison, and then she poked me in the back of the neck with scissors for good measure. That was the last time I let someone else cut my hair. Rumor has it that Neil Young went to the same place. If you look at his haircuts, this is hardly an endorsement.)
Yeah, I've thought of buying a shears. It may happen
Old 07-10-20, 02:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12016 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 1,875 Posts
I avoid elevators too. I've been taking them down when empty, but it's rare lately to be in a building with one.

Went to the podiatrist last week. Could have been done as telemedicine except that I brought some shoes. We went over my allotted time because they're so idle.
Old 07-10-20, 02:53 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
I would be enraged by that.

I have had a couple of medical appointments. If the elevator appears and somebody is in it, mask or not, I don't get in. If you are in the elevator and someone enters, it's harder. This happened to me last week. This woman began to enter the elevator, so I quickly exited, even though it wasn't my floor. (Turns out I was exiting into the Ob/Gyn clinic reception area. oops). Lousy air circulation in elevators. Not comfortable.
Elevators can be a source of transmission even without contact.

An asymptomatic coronavirus carrier infected an apartment neighbor without sharing the same space. A study blames the building's elevator buttons.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...s-study-2020-7
Old 07-10-20, 02:55 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
The problem with the pandemic in the US has NOTHING to do with outsiders. Our borders have been effectively sealed .
You all should read this as though you can hear me screaming. And what I'm screaming is: THERE ARE NO BORDERS FOR A VIRUS. THERE ARE NO US AND THEM. A VIRUS DOESN'T STOP AT LINES ON A MAP, CHECKPOINTS, CULTURAL BOUNDARIES. IT CIRCULATES. WHAT THE HECK DO YOU FOLKS NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS?

There. As you were.
Old 07-10-20, 02:57 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I've been using a #7 all over for years (I broke the #8 ). I just sit in on the patio for easy clean up and don't use a mirror. My wife touches up the back (sometimes & not really needed these days), then I shape and clean up the front/sides with aid of a mirror indoors. Pays for itself after one haircut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.