Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cassette jammed up with slush/ice ???

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 04-13-20, 07:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts

I was out for a 13-mile fatbike ride in perfect snowman snow: wet and warm. It was sticking to everything and created a problem I've never had (& I've been ride through Minneapolis winters for 10+ years): the snow/slush/ice was accumulating in my cassette making it impossible to change gears. The derailleur was working fine, it was moving without issue, the tension was good too. The only issue I can think that caused this issue was that the slush was filling up the cassette and the chain couldn't get into the teeth. I ended up single-speeding home, thankfully I was stuck in a good gear for the most part. If I tried shifting to a smaller gear, the derailleur would move, but the chain would just skip over the teeth. After getting home and washing the bike with hot water, the chain had no issues engaging the cassette.

I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar issue and if you had a solutions. After getting home, I thought of one of my grandpa's favorite solutions to issues like this: just piss on it

The pic of the cassette didn't work, but this give you an idea about the snow. This stuff only took a couple minutes to build up like this, I'd hit a bump and it's fall off, but would be built up again within a mile.

Old 04-13-20, 08:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar issue and if you had a solutions. After getting home, I thought of one of my grandpa's favorite solutions to issues like this: just piss on it
Snowbird. Fly south for the winter. Predicted low for this week is 39F, and you get to post snarky replies to people who're stuck up north all winter long.

(Of course, I'd miss hearing about all the misery I'm missing!)
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-13-20, 08:26 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Yes, I have had the exact same thing happen. Don't know anything better than your Gramps idea, I've usually just used a stick to try and break it up - not easy. It seems specific to a really slushy road/trail surface. I've had it pack to the point that no gear works, not even the one it was in. Makes you want to join the IGH crowd.
Old 04-13-20, 08:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by 55murray
Yes, I have had the exact same thing happen. Don't know anything better than your Gramps idea, I've usually just used a stick to try and break it up - not easy. It seems specific to a really slushy road/trail surface. I've had it pack to the point that no gear works, not even the one it was in. Makes you want to join the IGH crowd.
I tried a stick too without any luck. I was losing gears as I went, and the thing I learned nearly too late was to quit trying to get into another gear ... every time I messed with the rear gears, I'd lose another gear, the larger cogs were the only ones I could engage. It was a spinning ride home!

IGH is a good choice for the winter conditions ... but I'm too lazy to make the effort to change over.

I made the dumb mistake of stopping to pee in a port-a-john ... I was empty when I needed it.
Old 04-13-20, 08:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Snowbird. Fly south for the winter. Predicted low for this week is 39F, and you get to post snarky replies to people who're stuck up north all winter long.

(Of course, I'd miss hearing about all the misery I'm missing!)
Snarky comments are all good and can cut both ways

But I'm definitely not 'stuck' up North, I love winter and the unique adventures I enjoy with the winter. Maybe I'll get old enough that I want to travel south for the winter ... but I can't see that happening anytime soon. (warm weather winter vacations are still a very cool thing!)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-30-20 at 07:48 AM. Reason: dumb typo
Old 04-13-20, 09:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
If I didn't run fixed in the winter, I'd look into an IGH setup. Google tells me that an IGH fat bike has been done before.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-13-20, 09:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

The first fatbike I rode was IGH - Orgin8 Crawler - vacation rental on the North Shore of Oahu ... look at the big dumb smile!

As somebody that loves a Pugsley, I'll tell you that the Crawler is HEAVY!

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-08-20, 12:42 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I use a toothbrush as it is somewhat more versatile, not a stick.
And sometimes a thermos of piss :-)
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 07-11-20, 10:52 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I run an Alfine on my Pugsley, precisely because of issues like this. And because at the end of winter, I was typically replacing the rusted derailer. My Pugsley sees on and off road miles, and they salt the heck out of the roads. It was eating every exposed moving part.

But the Alfine absolutely helps with the slush-cake problem. I think the Pugsley is now the only fat-bike that has a 135 OLD in back to run a hub like that.
Old 07-18-20, 08:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
generally less 'speeds' like 6, leaves more room to pack in crud & ice before a situation where the chain wont engage the teeth..

Yes, an IGH , with the chain pulled snug. (W/O spring tensioner), would be more reliable..
Old 07-23-20, 03:54 PM
bikemeister

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe I'm talking out of my butt here, but would a de-icer mixture from the auto parts store clear out that icy slush without the danger of poking a stick in there?