Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Done With Smooth Stem Tubes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-11-20, 05:43 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts

That’s it. Two failures where the stem joins the tube in one week on month old tubes.

Going back to threaded. As much as I hate those, I’d rather wrestle the Silca head off the stem than change a tube.

Can someone make a tube that is threaded on the bottom only?
Old 07-11-20, 08:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Why would threading at the bottom be needed at all?
...my family uses a mix of thread and smooth stems and both work just fine.
bad tubes are such a frustration.
Old 07-11-20, 08:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've been using Zipp tubes for years and never a problem.
Old 07-11-20, 09:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Are you shoving the Silca P/V head on too far?

all P/V stems have a smooth band between the smaller 'cap' thread and the larger , finer thread for the ring nut ..

Bonus the gasket in the pump head wont wear out as fast,,..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-20 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 09:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
That’s it. Two failures where the stem joins the tube in one week on month old tubes.

Going back to threaded. As much as I hate those, I’d rather wrestle the Silca head off the stem than change a tube.

What tubes you been using. I'm going on about 8 months on the same set of Michelin tubes (I just jinxed myself).
But yes! tube valve stems that only had threading at the bottom eg. 1cm would be nice. I think this was discussed.. evidently would require 2 different wall thicknesses for the valve stem and therefore too costly -- or somesuch argument like this?

EDIT: Maybe could do something like getting some of these 20mm valve extenders, and mate them to shorter fully threaded valves to at least have the pump head affixing area unthreaded. https://www.amazon.com/Continental-C...VAE?th=1&psc=1

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why would threading at the bottom be needed at all?
...my family uses a mix of thread and smooth stems and both work just fine.
bad tubes are such a frustration.
evidently so the lock nut can be used to hold the stem to the rim hole. OP sounds like there's some movement going on down there that's causing stem/tube separation.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 07-11-20 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-11-20, 10:03 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Not sure how the threading would affect the tube rubber around the stem. I’ve used smooth-stemmed tubes forever - all Michelins, IIRC, with a short-lived detour into Vittoria latexs. I can only recall a single spontaneous failure at the valve stem junction, and it wasn’t a new tube. Even with rims that don’t require rim tape, I put a couple of inches of tape over the valve hole and pierce an “x” with a blade for the valve - I like a little cushion between the rubber and the edge of the hole
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-11-20, 10:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
evidently so the lock nut can be used to hold the stem to the rim hole. OP sounds like there's some movement going on down there that's causing stem/tube separation.
Huh. I just toss those things away. It keeps the valve from receeding into the rim but it doesnt keep the tube from extending outward thru the valve hole. You can still pull the valve when removing it from a pump, so threading doesn't seem like a solution.

maybe I'm not understanding how/why the tubes are breaking though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-11-20, 10:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have a number of Silca frame pumps and I NEVER wrestle the head off the valve stem. When I'm finished pumping I give the pump head a sharp rap with my hand to disengage the pump from the valve. Any twisting motion whilst removing the pump from the valve can cause the valve itself to twist and loosen from the tube or come off entirely.

Cheers
Old 07-12-20, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've just finished a month and over 600 miles with a set of Silca latex tubes, smooth plastic valve stems, no problems. I mostly use a floor pump with clamp on head, but have used a mini pump with threaded chuck. Both work fine.

I suppose it's possible that over time the action of repeatedly popping off a clamp-on chuck might stress the valve stem base. But if that happened I'd also check the valve stem hole in the rim to be sure it doesn't have a burr that damages the tube. That has happened on my other bike with butyl tubes -- the burred rim hole nicked the base of the tube, possibly worsened by the action of yanking off the clamp-on chuck.

But the Silca latex Presta tubes with smooth plastic valve stems don't resist popping off the clamp on chuck so I'm not too worried.
Old 07-12-20, 08:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
One more argument for tubeless. Which, IMO, is where this is all going.
Old 07-12-20, 01:48 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Try another brand of tube. I've been using Michelin no thread tubes forever and never had a problem. I have a silica pump that's at least 30 years old. It uses a rubber gasket with a friction fit, so all you do is push the head onto the stem, then pull it off. A little spit on the stem doesn't hurt.

If pulling the head off is the problem, threads are of no help. The pulling forces still go between the stem and the rubber tube surrounding it. Threads would take the force of pushing the head on.

A neighbor gave me some Giant no thread tubes. No problem with them either.

Tubeless has every bit as many problems, or more than tubes.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-12-20 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 02:14 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20

You might check my recent thread entitled "smooth Presta rim stop desired". All the latex inner tubes currently on the market have unthreaded valve stems. If you ride multiple bikes like I do, it is likely that the tubes will lose enough pressure between uses that frequent re-inflation is needed. Add checking tire pressure frequently to this and before long the valve stem is being stressed. And this is from proper application of the pump head.