Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Varia RTL510 and saddlebags

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Varia RTL510 and saddlebags

Old 06-16-20, 08:47 PM
jkbrooks

Bikes: Ti Mosaic G2 & Ti Davidson coupled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That is wicked cool!
Old 06-16-20, 08:59 PM
jkbrooks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well, my v2 solution is improving. I had one of those Paul Components Gino light mounts that I mounted on my rack braze on. I then mounted a cut down mtb bar extender on the Gino then used the rubber gasket garmin post mount option. Also a tad hack but effective. V3 is pink anodized Gino, silver bar extenders and the garmin post mount that clamps around post and tightens with a bolt! No more rubber bracket jobs! Or zip ties! Or wire rope (or ferrules)! Parts inbound now. Hopefully all in hand before I kick off for a couple hundred miles of gravel on July 5. Assuming it's not cringe worthy, I'll post a picture.

Here's the stuff; (cant post links yet)
w paulcomp dot com / mounting solutions / gino-light-mount
Garmin Seat Post Quarter Mount
Was gonna post link to the mtb climbin bars inbound in case you wanted ones that match roughly the diameter of the gino. Gino OD is 26mm, so there you go . . .
Old 07-10-20, 05:28 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Varia mount for saddle bag

My bags are Topeak, and the one I typically ride with is a small trunk, so the seat post mount won't work for me. Just got an RVR315. After looking at various attacks on this problem, I sort of rolled my own.

I bought a set of "stainless steel luxury money clips" via Amazon...4 for $9.99. I'm guessing one reason they're fairly cheap is that they're WAY too strongly sprung to slide a wad of bills into and out of. They arrived today. I went back to look for them the next day, and they had vanished. But these appear to be the very same item, with the very same incorrect dimensions:

Never mind, I am too new to be allowed links or photos. I can send the link to anyone interested.

They're really light, and really appear to be stainless (they drill and tap like stainless!). I ordered a K-Edge insert replacement kit for Garmin Edge, as suggested by others who've wandered down this path.

The hole spacing on the clips is wrong for this insert horizontally, but an exact match vertically. I did some digging, and there appears to be no issue with mounting the Varia at a right angle to how the Garmin mount holds it.

The holes in the clip are about 2.5mm. I drilled two spaced correctly out to about 2.65mm. And then tapped those holes to 3mmx0.5. Dug out my T8 torx driver and cinched things down, and the screws that came with the insert bottomed out very positively, and those things come with loctite on them. Finshed "product" in attached image...(maybe some day).

Pretty small, minimal, light. I'll have to use a tool to pry the open end open so it can slide over the rear tab loop that Topeak puts on their bags. I'll clip it on open end up...trust me, it won't fall off on its own. I'll start the Varia into the mount upside down, so it finishes with the longer/heavier end right/clockwise of center, so it should stay locked. This fits both my Topeak trunks and their funny under the saddle bag. I can move it from bag to bag with a small amount of effort (prying the clip open) to remove and install. If I take the bag off the bike, the Varia goes with me without having to pop it off the mount. $9.99 for four of the clips, $5 for the K-edge insert. I already had the drill, bits, and metric taps...although tapping stainless this thin was no picnic.

This will go on its maiden voyage Sunday morning, with the Varia paired to my Elemnt. If that's a disaster, I'll follow up, but expect this to work fine and be painless.

Wanted to share, in case it helps someone else solve this problem.

--Richard
Old 07-12-20, 10:07 AM
rlmalisz

So Amazon has the "money clips" back. If you go there and search for "7-Star Stainless Steel 4 Pack Silver Money Clip" you should find them. As I said above, the dimension description is incorrect---these will fit easily through the rear tabs on Topeak bags. The K-Edge can be found with a Google search for "k-edge replacement garmin insert kit". The screws that come with that are just long enough to protrude through the tapped money clip holes about 1mm. The way I have mine oriented, the one at the narrower end of the clip presses into the bag tab enough that I can't move the clip side to side without prying the clip open a bit, which is perfect for me.

--Richard
Old 07-12-20, 07:17 PM
mistert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rimalisz, can you post a picture? Im thinking about going the route you suggested
Old 07-12-20, 08:11 PM
rlmalisz

Originally Posted by mistert
rimalisz, can you post a picture? Im thinking about going the route you suggested
I cannot. I am still shy of the 10 posts it takes to be a grownup. I know why they do this. This makes 5-ish. I'll see if I can figure out another route to get it to you.

--Richard
Old 07-14-20, 03:12 PM
rlmalisz

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
My bags are Topeak, and the one I typically ride with is a small trunk, so the seat post mount won't work for me. Just got an RVR315. After looking at various attacks on this problem, I sort of rolled my own.

I bought a set of "stainless steel luxury money clips" via Amazon...4 for $9.99. I'm guessing one reason they're fairly cheap is that they're WAY too strongly sprung to slide a wad of bills into and out of. They arrived today. I went back to look for them the next day, and they had vanished. But these appear to be the very same item, with the very same incorrect dimensions:

Never mind, I am too new to be allowed links or photos. I can send the link to anyone interested.

They're really light, and really appear to be stainless (they drill and tap like stainless!). I ordered a K-Edge insert replacement kit for Garmin Edge, as suggested by others who've wandered down this path.

The hole spacing on the clips is wrong for this insert horizontally, but an exact match vertically. I did some digging, and there appears to be no issue with mounting the Varia at a right angle to how the Garmin mount holds it.

The holes in the clip are about 2.5mm. I drilled two spaced correctly out to about 2.65mm. And then tapped those holes to 3mmx0.5. Dug out my T8 torx driver and cinched things down, and the screws that came with the insert bottomed out very positively, and those things come with loctite on them. Finshed "product" in attached image...(maybe some day).

Pretty small, minimal, light. I'll have to use a tool to pry the open end open so it can slide over the rear tab loop that Topeak puts on their bags. I'll clip it on open end up...trust me, it won't fall off on its own. I'll start the Varia into the mount upside down, so it finishes with the longer/heavier end right/clockwise of center, so it should stay locked. This fits both my Topeak trunks and their funny under the saddle bag. I can move it from bag to bag with a small amount of effort (prying the clip open) to remove and install. If I take the bag off the bike, the Varia goes with me without having to pop it off the mount. $9.99 for four of the clips, $5 for the K-edge insert. I already had the drill, bits, and metric taps...although tapping stainless this thin was no picnic.

This will go on its maiden voyage Sunday morning, with the Varia paired to my Elemnt. If that's a disaster, I'll follow up, but expect this to work fine and be painless.

Wanted to share, in case it helps someone else solve this problem.

--Richard
So the weekend and yesterday got busy, so the Varia's first outing on the bike was 44 miles today. The RVR315 worked perfectly, alerting me of vehicles and riders approaching from the rear with plenty of warning. The mount worked perfectly...after today, I'm happy to have it firmly mounted to something not rigid (saddlebag tab), as the trail I was on had some bridges that were prolonged teeth-rattlers. I've accidently left the trunk unzipped once and had a pump jump out from an inch down while crossing one of those bridges.

Thing weighs 16g. Photos to follow.

--Richard
Likes For rlmalisz:
Old 07-14-20, 03:16 PM
rlmalisz

The clip, assembled.

Mount clipped to tab, with RVR315 mounted. It hadn't moved, 44 miles on.
Likes For rlmalisz:
Old 07-14-20, 04:38 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
So the weekend and yesterday got busy, so the Varia's first outing on the bike was 44 miles today. The RVR315 worked perfectly, alerting me of vehicles and riders approaching from the rear with plenty of warning. The mount worked perfectly...after today, I'm happy to have it firmly mounted to something not rigid (saddlebag tab), as the trail I was on had some bridges that were prolonged teeth-rattlers. I've accidently left the trunk unzipped once and had a pump jump out from an inch down while crossing one of those bridges.

Thing weighs 16g. Photos to follow.

--Richard
The radar doesn't even have to be particularly level and it doesn't even need to be visually available to the road behind. I had the original Varia that was horizontal and it was always hitting my legs when I pedaled. I just put it in my jersey pocket and it was fine. Any radar transparent material is fine so it would work if you put it in the bag as long as no metal was in the way and it was aimed downrange. So pretty much any nonmetalized fabric will be transparent to the radar. It really isn't even necessary to have it clipped on the back unless you have the taillight version.
Old 07-25-20, 01:09 AM
alanw2005

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
I'm looking at the Varia RTL510, and like the features, but am wondering what the Garmin engineers were thinking when they designed the mounting system for it? Nearly every cyclist I know rides with a saddlebag, and there is no mounting option provided with the unit, especially for those of us whose seatpost doesn't poke up above the downtube about a foot or more... I have found a 3D printed bracket from a 3rd party, that clips onto the strap provided on most saddlebags, but it appears like it might not be the most stable mounting option...
You can make a bracket out of sheet metal from Home Depot.
Old 07-25-20, 01:13 AM
alanw2005

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The clip, assembled.

Mount clipped to tab, with RVR315 mounted. It hadn't moved, 44 miles on.
Nice work! It inspired me!
Old 07-25-20, 01:14 AM
alanw2005

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Another saddlebag mounting sent to me from a friend of mine that recently purchased an RTL515.
That's a very clean solution! Ho much?
Old 07-25-20, 06:55 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by alanw2005
That's a very clean solution! Ho much?
I don't think it cost him anything. If I remember correctly, he found a piece of metal lying around his garage and used it to make the mount.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-06-20, 09:48 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
I have my RVR315 attached to the saddle rails using a mount that I purchased on Amazon. A Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag accommodates a spare tube, multi-tool, levers, patches, and quick link.

On rides where I use my Arkel rack, I can easily move the Varia to its tail mount.

Last edited by Batstar; 08-07-20 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 09-17-20, 11:05 AM
slowsteady

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John_V [img]/images/yellow_jersey.gif[/img] Can you pls tell us what this manufacturers name is and where we can ge it in the US. TY
Old 12-24-20, 11:43 AM
jkbrooks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you John. Thought I'd give a quick update. I've got braze-on rack mounts on my bike. I get not everyone has those but i had them added when I had the frame built. Here's what I ended up doing Unfortunately I cant post any pictures because I dont meet the minimum number of 10 posts. I'll circle back if/when that happens.

First pass:

* bought a "Gino" from Paul Component Engineering. It's a ~25mm dia light mount that mounts to rack or fender braze-on/mount point

* took an old mtb climbing bar, used the vice to force close it around the gino (gino is bigger dia than typical mtb handlebars), and used my sawzall to cut the climbing bar down a bit.

* mounted garmin seat post clamp to the hacked off climbing bar (which was roughly parallel to seat post but on my rear left side.) I had to "bulk up" the climbing bar with some tape because it's smaller than a typical seatpost.

* looked a bit ragged, beat up and hack but it functioned brilliantly as a mount for the varia

Second pass;

* I sketched out a plan for something purpose built that I could mount on the Gino

* found a mechanical engineering student in Pakistan on Fivrr who agreed to do it up in a CAD program. We iterated a little bit and he sent me the drawing. ~$45

* I sent the drawing to a 3d print shop about 5 miles from my house and they "printed" it for me. $20

Looks and works very snazzy. I'm pretty sure there aren't that many people on the planet that would spend $100+ and this many hours to mount a radar unit on their bicycle. And I also figure those that are on the planet with that disposition, lots of them are here

I'd be happy to share the drawing & pictures. If someone can tell me how to reach a moderator so I can ask permission to post them, I'd be grateful. I've not been able to figure it out on my own yet.
Old 03-04-21, 04:28 PM
slovakdc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Varia RTL515 to Ortlieb Saddle Bag Two

I'd like to attach my Garmin Varia RTL515 taillight/radar unit to the back of my Ortlieb Saddle Bag 2. I don't have enough space to attach the Varia to my seat post. Because I'm new to this forum, I'm not yet allowed to provide a link to the Ortlieb bag. But if you Google the name of the bag, you'll see photos depicting the tabs on the back of the bag to which I'm hoping to attach the Varia unit.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations for simple and secure solutions.

Thank you very much!

Dave
Old 03-04-21, 05:03 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by slovakdc
I'd like to attach my Garmin Varia RTL515 taillight/radar unit to the back of my Ortlieb Saddle Bag 2. I don't have enough space to attach the Varia to my seat post. Because I'm new to this forum, I'm not yet allowed to provide a link to the Ortlieb bag. But if you Google the name of the bag, you'll see photos depicting the tabs on the back of the bag to which I'm hoping to attach the Varia unit.
I've got the 3d printed model mentioned in post 4 on that saddle bag:

Old 03-04-21, 05:33 PM
slovakdc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Varia RTL515 to Ortlieb Saddle Bag Two

Thank you, Marylander! This is very helpful. How long have you been using this solution? Are you satisfied with it? Are tools or screws needed? Does the clip stay intact even in bumpy terrain? If you're satisfied, I'll probably take your advice and purchase the item you've recommended. I wanted to send you a personal message but as a newbie, I don't yet have that privilege.

Again, many thanks.

Dave
Old 03-04-21, 08:29 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
There's a zip tie slot. It's not coming off.
Old 03-05-21, 11:41 AM
jkbrooks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slovakdc
Thank you, Marylander! This is very helpful. How long have you been using this solution? Are you satisfied with it? Are tools or screws needed? Does the clip stay intact even in bumpy terrain? If you're satisfied, I'll probably take your advice and purchase the item you've recommended. I wanted to send you a personal message but as a newbie, I don't yet have that privilege.

Again, many thanks.

Dave
I have the same bag and had the same dilemma last summer on a couple hundred mile gravel tour I was doing. I like the solution Marylander suggested. Simple & elegant. My multistepped & way more expensive solution; I have rack braze-ons (like I see on your bike.) I ordered a "Gino light mount" from Paul Component Engineering. I mounted that to the braze-on. I had a pakistani mechanical engineering student design a 3d printable mount for me on Fiverr. Printed locally & mounted on the Gino; has a short tube that approximates the diameter of the seatpost tube. I then used the garmin seapost quarter mount. I think it looks good & I just permanently run the radar there. I suppose if I start riding in in England, I'll have to move it to the right side of the bike . . . but it works fine on the left.

I'm happy to share the design file if someone wants it. (I sorta screwed up the bolt mount design but found I could just use a zip tie gun to get a zip tie on their super tight and it looks clean). I'd love to share pictures but the forum says I've not posted enough to be able to do that
Old 03-05-21, 11:43 AM
jkbrooks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is there a moderator or someone that can change a setting so I can post pictures & the design file?
Old 03-05-21, 05:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by jkbrooks
Is there a moderator or someone that can change a setting so I can post pictures & the design file?
I see you've posted 7 times so far. When you reach 10, you can upload stuff. This setting prevents spamming. I'm not an admin here, but if you email me your files, I'll post them here. Or you can increase your post count yourself. My email address is tom@noglider.com

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-05-21, 10:06 PM
jkbrooks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I see you've posted 7 times so far. When you reach 10, you can upload stuff. This setting prevents spamming. I'm not an admin here, but if you email me your files, I'll post them here. Or you can increase your post count yourself. My email address is tom@noglider.com
thank you Tom!
Old 03-26-21, 12:03 PM
jkbrooks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Photo of the mount device I had designed & 3d printed. "Pink" thing is a Paul Component Engineering "Gino" light mount attached to rack mount braze on.
Likes For jkbrooks:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.