Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stepping up my helmet game, need help.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stepping up my helmet game, need help.

Old 07-08-20, 12:00 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 205 Posts
We just bought the Lazer Z1 MIPS. The retention system is different than most, and my wife and I feel like they are the most comfortable helmets we have ever worn. you can buy a snap on "aeroshell" for TTs and cold weather...it just covers most of the vents. I found that the sizing is similar to Giro, since the same size fit us in both. Highly recommend

Lazer Z1 MIPS
Old 07-08-20, 12:11 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

Old 07-08-20, 12:13 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

Old 07-08-20, 12:28 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I was actually considering the Giro Cinder. My Specialized echelon fits pretty good, so maybe I should look at the higher end models of Specialized, but I am not married to the brand at all.
In terms of value for money, Cinder has one of the best on the market IMO. I was about to buy one, but then I saw Oakley, and you know, the brand name made me change my mind.
Old 07-08-20, 01:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I, on the other hand, sweat so much that I can't see by the end of the rid if I don't wear my halo headband.

Does the amount of helmet vents make any difference?
Old 07-08-20, 01:38 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Honestly, I don't know because all my helmets have been in the $50-75 range, so I haven't slipped into the high end with bigger/more vents. I keep wanting to, but I've only done one ride longer than 10 miles (lots of little 1-5 mile jaunts through the neighborhood with the kids teaching the littlest how to ride during the shutdown) that wasn't on Zwift in the last year (and didn't ride the previous 2 years or so due to injury), so I don't really ride enough to need a fancy new helmet at this point. My current one has mostly been sitting in the closet gathering dust for the last several years.
Old 07-08-20, 02:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Air flow through the helmet was always one of the most important considerations for helmets I get. Another is how low do they come in front. Too high and you have an unprotected forehead. Too low and you'll have a sore neck from having to crane your head up to see when in the drops.

I was almost ready to trash my new helmet and look for another because I wasn't able to see far enough ahead when in the drops. However I finally found some adjustment inside that allowed my to control how far back on my head it sat. It wasn't done with the straps as was my older helmet.

MIPS, Wavecell, while better in some cases, they aren't that much better any other CPSC certified helmet. The differences tested from what I've read are slight. But hey, no expense for safety right? However there are plenty of sub 100 dollar MIPS helmets.

As always, get one that fits.
Old 07-08-20, 04:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
No wasp has ever gotten inside my Air Attack.
Old 07-08-20, 05:08 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Thanks so much for all the responses. Just got back from trying on helmets and ended up with a Kask Protone. Super comfortable, looking forward to trying it out!
Old 07-08-20, 06:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Just for something different, but evidently quite light, am waiting on an Abus Airbreaker

Old 07-10-20, 02:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Lazer Z1 and MET (Trenta?) have been tested and reportedly are among the most aero of the vented helmets. I should have snagged one pre-pandemic when the prices were silly low, like $50-$75. Now everything is back to full MSRP or close to it.

Venting matters. I have two Bell helmets (Formula and I forgot the other model) with conventional vents and they're adequately vented. The Bell Formula MIPS and similar Bell helmets made the past couple of years have a clever drip channel doodad that diverts most sweat from pouring into my eyes. It drips about an inch in front of the face, and sometimes blows back into my face, but it's better than most conventional helmets. The Bell Formula is an outstanding value, but doesn't cover quite as low on the skull as I'd like. After witnessing some falls and head impacts among other cyclists locally I can see where some helmets need better coverage.

But my POC Omne Air Spin is much cooler. I can really feel the air cooling effect, and when I hold a hand behind the helmet I can feel the heat venting back there. Friends who use the Octal and Ventral say the same thing - POC are outstanding for cooling. But they're kinda bulbous, mushroom-head looking things, sorta ugly-chic. My only gripe about the Omne Air Spin is the overhanging brow partially blocks my forward view when I'm low in the drops, and it's a bit heavy. And it's probably the opposite of aero. But it's a great summer helmet for commuting, casual rides and zone 2 rides when I'm not in the drops much.

Another poster mentioned ABUS -- I'm considering one based on the apparent fit I saw on Phil Gaimon's training partner for his Everesting challenge last month. I forget his partner's name, but he wore an ABUS helmet that looked really safe, and gently tapers inward so it's less bulbous than the POC. I noticed it covers much lower on the skull than my Bells, especially the rear/occipital region.
Old 07-10-20, 08:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Another poster mentioned ABUS -- I'm considering one based on the apparent fit I saw on Phil Gaimon's training partner for his Everesting challenge last month. I forget his partner's name, but he wore an ABUS helmet that looked really safe, and gently tapers inward so it's less bulbous than the POC.
Ben Foster aka The Other Ben Foster.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-10-20, 11:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ben Foster aka The Other Ben Foster.
This guy me believes.. pictured in said helmet

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-12-20, 03:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This guy me believes.. pictured in said helmet

That's the one.

I'm a bit more safety conscious now and while I prefer the POC for better coverage lower on the skull, the bulbous shape is also a bit annoying. The Abus design appears to cover as low on the skull as the POC, but tapers inward so it's less bulbous.

That particular Abus also appears to have vents similar to the POC Omne Air Spin, which has a sort of "roof" across the top from ear to ear, which effectively scoops air across the scalp. Excellent cooling, even on my two-hour Saturday noon ride when the temp went from 110-115F by 2 pm. I was surprised how much more effective that roof/scoop design was for cooling compared with my more conventional Bell helmets with the usual diagonal elongated diamond slash vents.
Old 07-12-20, 05:27 AM
himespau 

which abus model is that?
Old 07-12-20, 05:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

which abus model is that?
Looks like the Airbreaker
Old 07-12-20, 10:23 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Bell Z20 Aero. Very comfortable.
Old 07-24-20, 02:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by canklecat
That's the one.

I'm a bit more safety conscious now and while I prefer the POC for better coverage lower on the skull, the bulbous shape is also a bit annoying. The Abus design appears to cover as low on the skull as the POC, but tapers inward so it's less bulbous.

That particular Abus also appears to have vents similar to the POC Omne Air Spin, which has a sort of "roof" across the top from ear to ear, which effectively scoops air across the scalp. Excellent cooling, even on my two-hour Saturday noon ride when the temp went from 110-115F by 2 pm. I was surprised how much more effective that roof/scoop design was for cooling compared with my more conventional Bell helmets with the usual diagonal elongated diamond slash vents.
Really nice helmet btw. Just showed up (3 weeks from Bikeinn order date.. relatively not too bad for them). FYI, Canyon fans, the Airbreaker with Canyon branding added in some of their own color schemes is available on the canyon.com website.. at prices as good as anywhere else. Pretty pricey though.

Loving the weight (or lack thereof).. 120 grams less than my SUV sized Bell Z20 MIPS. No MIPS in this helmet though -- I kinda equate to driving a convertible instead of a sedan from safety standpoint ;-) Haven't had it out on the road and in the heat yet.. lots o' vents though. Seems really well thought out.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-24-20, 04:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

The lighter weight alone might persuade me to buy one. Only gripe I have about the POC is the weight. I got the large -- a little too large for my noggin -- and it weighs about 350 grams. Some days when my old neck injury pain flares up I don't like any weight on my head, but I won't ride without a helmet.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Really nice helmet btw. Just showed up (3 weeks from Bikeinn order date.. relatively not too bad for them). FYI, Canyon fans, the Airbreaker with Canyon branding added in some of their own color schemes is available on the canyon.com website.. at prices as good as anywhere else. Pretty pricey though.

Loving the weight (or lack thereof).. 120 grams less than my SUV sized Bell Z20 MIPS. No MIPS in this helmet though -- I kinda equate to driving a convertible instead of a sedan from safety standpoint ;-) Haven't had it out on the road and in the heat yet.. lots o' vents though. Seems really well thought out.

Old 07-24-20, 11:28 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I saved $8.99 shipping having my gloves delivered to my LBS, so I'm copying some of these down to see if they have them to try on.
Old 07-25-20, 12:21 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Recently googled this a lot and will probably go for ABUS, they seem to make very good helmets at a decent price.
I am not trying to start a discussion that belongs to P&R, but the family behind ABUS has some very interesting (shall we say) views that they espouse in how they run their business. Something to perhaps consider...
Old 07-25-20, 02:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Prodigy4299
I am not trying to start a discussion that belongs to P&R, but the family behind ABUS has some very interesting (shall we say) views that they espouse in how they run their business. Something to perhaps consider...
Yeah, I see the issue. Wasn't aware of that before.
Old 07-25-20, 06:27 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Prodigy4299
They are religious nutcases?

What does that have to do with me or their products?
Old 07-25-20, 08:19 AM
himespau 

I think it's the fact that they are very misogynistic in their practices.
Old 07-25-20, 09:23 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I think it's the fact that they are very misogynistic in their practices.
Old school Catholics hate women, no surprise there. Only men in the family can inherit the business.

But I still don't see why I should boycott them because of it. I am sure I interact with plenty of terrible people, buy from dubious companies (no one should buy off of Amazon if we go by this logic).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.