Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A bit too much of a coincidence

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 02:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts

With the last 3 Jerseys I've purchased, I got a flat the first time I wore them. What is up with that?

And why do flats always come in bunches? After going 6 months without one, I had 3 in 2 days. Two different bikes. Hopefully this means it'll be a while before the next one, or two, or three.....
Old 07-13-20, 02:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
On two bikes? Bad luck. Or you need to choose a different route, or ask your city to send the street sweeper out.

Two on one bike, especially if it's on the same tire? Time to check your treads. Frequent flats are an indication that the tire is getting old and worn out.
Old 07-13-20, 03:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
On two bikes? Bad luck. Or you need to choose a different route, or ask your city to send the street sweeper out.

Two on one bike, especially if it's on the same tire? Time to check your treads. Frequent flats are an indication that the tire is getting old and worn out.
Or that there's something sharp still in the tire.

Cheers
Old 07-13-20, 04:50 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
And why do flats always come in bunches? After going 6 months without one, I had 3 in 2 days. Two different bikes. Hopefully this means it'll be a while before the next one, or two, or three.....
Flats come in bunches because they're related to debris ending up on the road from events like a rain storm washing it into the gutter, wind blowing goatheads onto the road, or a vehicle with a worn tire shedding wire from its steel belts.

Repeat flats can come from embedded debris (tiny pieces of tire wire are a bear).

Tire wear is less of an issue now that many tires rely on aramid fiber layers for flat protection and not just rubber thickness, although the inevitable cuts can pick up pieces of glass that would be brushed of fresh slick rubber.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-13-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 04:52 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Or that there's something sharp still in the tire.

Cheers
That is what happened. The whole story is I went to fill my tire for my Sunday ride and found it was 40PSI (typically >60) so I figured there was a slow leak and changed the tube. I was careful about running my fingers around the inside of the tire several times and did not find anything so headed out. About 12.5 miles from home I noticed it low so had to change the tube by the side of the road. This time I did find the tiniest sliver of something inside the tire. I mean it was really tiny. Went back home, picked up a new tube for my spare and went back out for another 45 miles and no issues. The tire in question here (GP5000) has only a few hundred miles on it.

I do rides in the early morning (5:15) before work during the week on my old rigid MTB, which Hasn't had a flat in a couple of years. Went out this morning, got about 6 miles or some from home and the front went flat. I could not find anything inside that tire so hopefully it won't go flat again. This tire is pretty old and about due for replacement so will do that soon.
Old 07-13-20, 05:00 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Sorry, for your flats to be statistically significant we will need a multiple regress analysis to show correlations.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-13-20, 05:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
were you flat out surprised that it happen or just blow out some air on the forum?
Old 07-13-20, 05:14 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Rather than dragging your finger around inside the tire and finding that metal sliver (OUCH!), use a cotton ball, dryer sheet, or handkerchief-better than a metal splinter ending up in your finger.
Old 07-13-20, 05:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That is what happened. The whole story is I went to fill my tire for my Sunday ride and found it was 40PSI (typically >60) so I figured there was a slow leak and changed the tube. I was careful about running my fingers around the inside of the tire several times and did not find anything so headed out. About 12.5 miles from home I noticed it low so had to change the tube by the side of the road. This time I did find the tiniest sliver of something inside the tire. I mean it was really tiny. Went back home, picked up a new tube for my spare and went back out for another 45 miles and no issues. The tire in question here (GP5000) has only a few hundred miles on it.

I do rides in the early morning (5:15) before work during the week on my old rigid MTB, which Hasn't had a flat in a couple of years. Went out this morning, got about 6 miles or some from home and the front went flat. I could not find anything inside that tire so hopefully it won't go flat again. This tire is pretty old and about due for replacement so will do that soon.
I've had times when a thin sliver of metal wire would ONLY penetrate the tire when there was weight on the bike - me and riding. I finally found that tiny piece by flexing the tire after I took it off the wheel. A cotton ball helps a lot in catching something like that and it can save you from getting a nasty scratch or a cut.

There's one road here in town where these thin pieces of wire are quite common. I've stopped riding on that particular road. A small pair of forceps are great for getting those wire slivers out.

I've heard numerous times no that those wire slivers are from radial car/truck tires.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-14-20, 04:16 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
With the last 3 Jerseys I've purchased, I got a flat the first time I wore them. What is up with that?

Did you happen to buy the jerseys from RobbieTunes ?
Old 07-14-20, 05:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I've had a similar coincidence. With the last two tubeless wheelsets I bought I haven't had a flat in two years. Strange.
Old 07-14-20, 06:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
[QUOTE=Ogsarg;21585485]With the last 3 Jerseys I've purchased, I got a flat the first time I wore them. What is up with that?/QUOTE]

Literally nothing is up with that.
Old 07-14-20, 08:16 AM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
[QUOTE=Koyote;21586445]
With the last 3 Jerseys I've purchased, I got a flat the first time I wore them. What is up with that?/QUOTE]

Literally nothing is up with that.
Totally unrelated of course, but I am reminded of a winter coat I used to have.... I was suddenly aware of something sharp in the collar which was poking me in the neck. Upon investigation, I found there was some sort of sharp item like a stick (or something) inside the stuffing material. I was able to work it towards the seam using my fingers, and then I could extract it through the seam. It was a needle from a sewing machine! I'm probably lucky I didn't poke myself hard enough to draw blood.