Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Surly Mooonlander MTB

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 11:58 AM
TRIBUNAL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Surly Mooonlander MTB

Hello,
I'm looking at possibly buying a Surley Moonlander for sale, used, looks in good condition though I know nothing. Its being sold for $1,000 firm. I weigh about 360 and im not looking to "shread" I just want to explore off road where others arent. Im planing to use it in the Rockies as I have moved here for the season. I also bought a bafang 750 mid drive that ill be installing. $1,000 is more than i wanted to spend but it llooks like maybe this bike is worth it.
Any advice is appriciated.
Thank you
Old 07-13-20, 01:26 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Bike prices are up right now (they're selling out because of pandemic lockdowns) so I think that's a decent price, if it's in good shape. But make sure it fits.

It should be plenty strong enough for your weight, but I'd take the wheels to a bike shop and have them tuned up - when spoke tension is uneven they break easier.

Fatbike tires are expensive ($100+) so if the tires are worn out take that into consideration.
Old 07-13-20, 01:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
the question is whether you really need a fat tire bike vs regular mtn bike I get that fat tires are cool and great in snow and sand but there is the added weight cost and effort to ride just things to think about

Old 07-13-20, 02:36 PM
TRIBUNAL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks very much for the comments. From the reviews I read that the fat tires make is more resistant to getting holes from rocks which theres a ton of. Ive also read that fat tires are better able to hold up heavy people. Is a 3in tire just as good or a better middle of the road option with weight vs durability? Are fat tires not really necessary? Beach and sand or water, I dont see as something I would be incountering so those attributes dont really appeal to me, though you never know where i may want to use it in the future i guess.
The trails im walking on now have sharp rocks and Ive seen a lot of bikes speeding down the trails without a problem, but 360lbs is a lot more than many of the 200lb people im seeing. Id like to avoid having issues when im out on a mountain.
I was thinking the motor should be able to make up for the diference in dificulty with the weight.
Thoughts?
Old 07-13-20, 02:50 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Fat bikes are slitely less "rigid" than a rigid mountain bike. You are still the suspension though, those tires have no dampening. On fast downhills it can be like dribbling 2 basketballs at once. Fat tires get twice the flats of normal bike tires just because of the surface area. If you set them up tubeless ( i use "ghetto tubeless" on my fatbike), you just need a plug kit and a pump with you. Don't bother with CO2 inflaters, they won't do. Different fat tires need different pressures depending on conditions. I used to use 8-10 psi in Big Fat Larry's for normal trails, down to 3 or4 psi on sand dunes. I have been running Panaracer Fat B Nimbles for a few years and they like 15-18 psi for normal trails. Under inflated the front will self steer, especially when on the brakes. Over inflated they bounce off obstacles rather than conforming and rolling over.
Old 07-13-20, 03:32 PM
TRIBUNAL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I guess fat tires arent that great of an option for me. Back to searching the limited options.