Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Old 07-13-20, 01:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
I'm growing increasingly convinced that you aren't merely trying to be obtuse, and in fact are. If the above cannot convince you of OP's mindset and the intent of his original question that you yourself quoted "what is a safe draft distance", then so be it--I'm not into hopeless cases.
Let me get this straight - all of what you quoted and bolded, with many mentions of safety, is meant to convince me that talk of safety-borne etiquette isn't appropriate?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 01:54 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm growing increasingly convinced that you aren't merely trying to be obtuse, and in fact are. If the above cannot convince you of OP's mindset and the intent of his original question that you yourself quoted "what is a safe draft distance", then so be it--I'm not into hopeless cases.
He asked what’s safe and didn’t like the answer (and neither do you). I should start bringing an extra water bottle to spray at people like you guys.
Old 07-13-20, 01:59 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Yes, you can feel the difference even at one bike length. However, Cycling Weekly understates "the benefit." We've measured drag reduction much farther than 20 meters. It's just that the benefit, although there, is too small to feel. How far? During hour record attempts on 250 meter velodromes, we've measured the rider drafting themselves. That's cuz even a straw can stir a bathtub.
That's fascinating. I'm guessing the fact that the velodromes are indoors is a big factor in that?
Old 07-13-20, 02:36 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
People I don't know? 60 feet unless overtaking.

I know for a fact that toward the end of a ride, I emit a considerable amount of droplets into the surrounding air.
Old 07-13-20, 02:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
That's fascinating. I'm guessing the fact that the velodromes are indoors is a big factor in that?
I think it's just as important that tracks are oval, so a rider can ride in their own slipstream.

Also relevant is a rule of thumb from sailboat racing: Under moderate conditions the "dirty air" coming off the sails of a boat extends seven boat lengths to leeward. In sailing, drafting is slow.
Old 07-13-20, 02:54 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I suspect so. The geometry of the track, the banking, and the shape and volume of the enclosing building matter, too. The effect size is small so if we'd been outdoors, we might've attributed it to a random gust of wind or some other noisiness.
Old 07-13-20, 03:05 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
He asked what’s safe and didn’t like the answer (and neither do you). I should start bringing an extra water bottle to spray at people like you guys.
Ah cool, the downvote brigade.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Let me get this straight - all of what you quoted and bolded, with many mentions of safety, is meant to convince me that talk of safety-borne etiquette isn't appropriate?
Now you're strawmanning? No one ever said you couldn't talk about safety. The important thing to me was that OP had permission from the person/group in order to draft, because without that he shouldn't be drafting even if he and the person in front have all the bike skill in the world. Asking permission is etiquette. The actual act of drafting is not etiquette, it's drafting.

OP did not originally ask if he could. He didn't even ask if he should. What he asked was--what was an effective distance at which he could draft and not crash, because crashing at his age would be a big problem. To you, this is distance is infinity. That's fine by me--catching/spreading COVID is bad, among the other things that can go bad when drafting. We don't disagree here. Where we disagree is you associating my comprehension of OP's question with a refusal to discuss safety and condoning unsafe behavior.

Last edited by upthywazzoo; 07-13-20 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Now you're strawmanning? No one ever said you couldn't talk about safety.
Strawman, eh?

If we're going to talk about etiquette then it should go back here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...elt-shame.html.
Old 07-13-20, 03:17 PM
upthywazzoo 

Strawman, eh?
Uhhh yeah? Because a discussion of etiquette (do I seriously have to give you the definition? "The customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.") necessarily involves permission, because asking for permission is polite and was extensively discussed in the other thread. No one in here has said you can't discuss safe riding.
Old 07-13-20, 03:20 PM
WhyFi

No one in here has said you can't discuss safe riding.
Cool. In that case, I'd like to suggest: don't jump on a stranger's wheel.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 03:24 PM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I only ride on people's wheels that I know on group rides. There are some people that I won't draft behind (they don't ride smooth enough, or they don't communicate hazards properly).

But 'how close?' is an interesting question. I find myself continually closing in to ~2". I have to consciously back off the gas to get to my desired 6"-12". Then before I know it, I switch back to cruise control, and I'm just 2" off again. WTH?

What sucks is when the rider in front of you stands up to hammer.. their bike shoots back about 4" in that instant (relatively speaking), which always creates an 'oh ****' moment. Yes, this is completely my issue, and this is why I try to shoot for a 6" - 12" gap. It just doesn't come naturally to me.
Old 07-13-20, 03:30 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Now you're strawmanning? No one ever said you couldn't talk about safety. The important thing to me was that OP had permission from the person/group in order to draft, because without that he shouldn't be drafting even if he and the person in front have all the bike skill in the world. Asking permission is etiquette. The actual act of drafting is not etiquette, it's drafting.

OP did not originally ask if he could. He didn't even ask if he should. What he asked was--what was an effective distance at which he could draft and not crash, because crashing at his age would be a big problem. To you, this is distance is infinity. That's fine by me--catching/spreading COVID is bad, among the other things that can go bad when drafting. We don't disagree here. Where we disagree is you associating my comprehension of OP's question with a refusal to discuss safety and condoning unsafe behavior.
He also literally said

Originally Posted by big chainring
Typically I jump in to whoever passes me by on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
so discussions of "could (or should) he hop on a stranger's wheel" are directly on-topic, however much you dislike it.

Of course, he also expected a bunch of back-slapping affirmation of his behavior and ignored the actual feedback, so there's that.
Old 07-13-20, 03:38 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
He also literally said

so discussions of "could (or should) he hop on a stranger's wheel" are directly on-topic, however much you dislike it.

Of course, he also expected a bunch of back-slapping affirmation of his behavior and ignored the actual feedback, so there's that.
Broken record here. If OP asked for permission and was granted permission, then we have no problems. If he didn't ask for permission and we want to talk about that--then it should go in the other thread. I never said we couldn't talk about whether drafting unknowns is a good idea, from a safety standpoint.
Old 07-13-20, 03:45 PM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
My work commute includes a long stretch of MUP that always has a lot of mamils tooling around on road bikes. It's actually pretty common for people to just jump your wheel after you pass them, and of course, they don't ask and they don't announce themselves. You just sort of realize they're there.

TBH, I don't mind when someone sits on my wheel. It's a little annoying that they don't announce themselves, but it's not a huge deal. I'm not saying it's a good idea, in fact, I'd never do it myself, but I think most of the risk lies with the follower, not the followee.

I'll usually allow it for a few miles, and then I'll end it by slowing or sprinting (usually sprinting).
Old 07-13-20, 03:52 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Broken record here. If OP asked for permission and was granted permission, then we have no problems. If he didn't ask for permission and we want to talk about that--then it should go in the other thread. I never said we couldn't talk about whether drafting unknowns is a good idea, from a safety standpoint.
Who died and made you thread king? It's in the OP, and on-topic. You just don't like what you're hearing.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-20, 04:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
who are you to be telling anyone where something should be discussed?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-13-20, 04:10 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Who died and made you thread king? It's in the OP, and on-topic. You just don't like what you're hearing.
+1.

You posted while I was still catching up on the drivel he had posted.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-13-20, 04:10 PM
WhyFi

Broken record here. If OP asked for permission and was granted permission, then we have no problems. If he didn't ask for permission and we want to talk about that--then it should go in the other thread.
You're sounding like a broken record because you're not getting it. You introduced the word "etiquette" and you keep trying to make "jumping on a stranger's wheel" a matter of etiquette... it's not. Not entirely, at least. It *is* wholly a matter of safety, though. Whether or not you ask permission and whether or not it granted, being on a stranger's wheel is not safe - you don't know them, you don't know their habits, being on their wheel is neither smart nor safe.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 04:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1.

You posted while I was still catching up on the drivel he had posted.
It's aaaaall good!

Old 07-13-20, 04:18 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
You're sounding like a broken record because you're not getting it. You introduced the word "etiquette" and you keep trying to make "jumping on a stranger's wheel" a matter of etiquette... it's not. Not entirely, at least. It *is* wholly a matter of safety, though. Whether or not you ask permission and whether or not it granted, being on a stranger's wheel is not safe - you don't know them, you don't know their habits, being on their wheel is neither smart nor safe.
Further, they don’t know his habits and whether or not he’s going to plow into the back of them when they slow off of their current interval or whatever. It’s just dumb, rude and unsafe.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-13-20, 04:20 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by noodle soup
who are you to be telling anyone where something should be discussed?
Maybe he's trying to send the thread careening Karening off the tracks.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 04:21 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No kidding. Everyone that knows anything about cycling does.

The point multiple people are making is that you shouldn't be following people you don't know.

To do so ever is a pure clown move. To do so in the midst of a pandemic is pure ass-hattery.
In all my years of riding I never ran into a problem. And usually meet some nice people out on the road. They seem to welcome me. Perhaps its my superlative supplesse stylings that win them over. Could be good old Midwestern hospitality. Are most of you guys from the coasts or something? We on the third coast welcome all. Gabba Gabba Hey.
Old 07-13-20, 04:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
If I go out for a solo ride, that's kinda what I expect to do.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-13-20, 04:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have only read the 1st page, sorry if comment is a repeat.

i understand the drafting thing... good and possible bad.
And by bad, i mean from breach of someone's sensibilities - to a 'crash and burn' for 2 or more - from1 person's .....mistake?!?

BUT

Unless you are training for real speed events or with a team, the typical roadie would do much better (in their individual overall training effort) to learn an efficient Time Trial position.

With exceptions of course, for the dedicated, not casual, cyclist.

Now if I were crossing Iowa in a headwind a reasonable paceline of veteran cyclists looking and behaving safely - i would join. Drafting Distance would depend on the condition of the road and wind dir/spd/gustiness. If you are smart you learn a guy's wheel quickly, but can you simultaneously watch the three ahead if you are that close? Takes more concentration than most of us possess (packed tight) unless you train, train, train.

edit: my comments do not include CoVid concerns. I care. No group ride for me.

re-edit: Paceline Spacing Distance also depends on the paceline speed. Things happen much faster in a 28mph line than a 18mph into a headwind line.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-13-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 04:40 PM
upthywazzoo 

We can both be right. OP and person in front can be elite riders--but that doesn't make it safe. If person in front does not know OP is there, then it is doubly unsafe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.