Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mariner D8 - what to expect - I'm cornfuzed

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 05-12-19, 09:47 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

I ordered a Dahon Mariner D8. I can't tell what level of assembly this is going to require. I saw a youtube video on unboxing a D7 - its a complete bike.

When I ordered the bike I had the option of "expert assembly". I did not get that.

So I am really confused. I don't suppose I will have to build the wheel sets, I assume they will come laced and tensioned correctly at least. Are the brake and shifter cables installed? What about the brake levers and drivetrain? Installed ready to go or in boxes with the frame bare?

I don't really care one way or the other, I guess I just assumed the bikes were mostly complete, but not having opted for the assembly now it makes me wonder what I'm in for. I have built wheels and rebuilt frame sets so I'm not out of my element there, I just would rather not spend the time to do that, just a look-over and tune up to adjust/dial in things would be nice.
Old 05-12-19, 11:06 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
It doesn't need expert assembly, but it might need to be tuned up before you can ride it. If you don't know how to adjust brakes, derailleur, etc, take it to a bike shop. But expert assembly is definitely not necessary.
Old 05-12-19, 12:31 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also, you may have to true the wheels.
Old 05-12-19, 05:29 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It should be pretty self explanatory for the average person. But I would take the magnet assembly on the rear wheel apart and reassembly it with epoxy, to make sure it won't fly away. (First, find the perfect location for the magnet. I think they come with locktite on the thread now, but I would make mine bombproof.) Defintely check for loose spokes, like Schwinnsta said.
Old 05-16-19, 11:46 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts
The bike came and I got it together. There wasnt much to it. As far as adjustment goes I adjusted the brake tension, fender clearance, and the straightness of the handlebar/stem. The gear shifting is as good as it gets out of the box so that was good to see. Spoke tension isnt too bad. I will see if I can get to a buddy's place soon to dial them in, but for now both wheels are rideable.

The bike is a bit twitchy. That is common with this type of bike, though, so Im fine with it.

I am not sure what to make of the gear range yet. It seems fine. I may shift it up or down swapping out the chain ring. We'll see.