Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My believed-to-be 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile'

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 08:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

This is a Motobecane that I bought around a decade ago. I bought it from the original owner who said he "traveled up and down the west coast on her". The bike immediately caught my eye with the Nervex lugs, the shiny paint and the pinstriping. Since I bought it, I completely broke it down and lubed everything, eventually swapped out for a different wheelset and did some cosmetic fixes. I touched up the lug-lining with gold Testor's enamel. I polished the aluminum bits, although the cranks were in practically NOS condition. The originals were, I believe Stronglight, but are now SR Apex. I converted her to SS, but have held onto all of the shifting components. I also changed out the brake levers for a set of Grand Compe's that I found NOS for cheap.

I believe it is a 1976. I wrote down the three sets of numbers that were on the bottom bracket, but the important one I think is the set of three numbers, which is 6 03. I believe it was made in March of 1976. This version of the Grand Jubile' has Huret dropouts. Some years had Campagnolo. The only detail I'm not sure about is the top of the seat stays. Mine are semi-wrap around but are not painted with black and gold like they are on in the photos. I've checked several Moto catalogs and the tops of the stays on all of them show the flat portion painted black with an oval of gold around the perimeter. Mine obviously doesn't have that. I'm certain mine is original paint and there is zero evidence of it wearing off, etc. The overall paint is in great shape, which I have read is common for some of the older Motobecanes, very durable, hard paint.

I rode her yesterday and it made me remember what a smooth, supple ride it offers. I need to ride it more. I am going to look for some larger tires. Right now she is sporting Rigida 27 x 1 1/4" rims that were stolen off of a vintage Trek. They are in wonderful condition.

I wrapped the bars in black cork and finished the ends with twine. The bar ends are black rubber Velox. I replaced the brake cables and housing when I did the tear down. Other than that, it hasn't needed anything. I'll likely rebuild it with gears at some point. I doubt I will try to replace everything as original, the original RD is long gone as is the crank set and I have zero desire to hunt them down.

One of the things I really like is the stem, which is almost like a Nitto Technomic. It is super-long. It is a Pivo Professional and as shown is right about at the minimum insertion line. It really helps me and my aging back. The bars are also Pivo Professional and are very lightweight and very shiny.

The saddle isn't my typical "cup of tea", but it works well enough. It is a Selle Italia Grand Prix Professional. It has a suede top. It is a bit unforgiving compared to my broken-in Brooks B-17s. If I ride it more often, I will probably change it out. I have an Ideale saddle sitting idle but it is super hard, not broken in at all.

Anyways, I rode it yesterday and thought it was high time to share her with the group. I know there are several threads about Grand Jubile's and they are much loved by those that have had the privilege to ride them.

Likes For TugaDude:
Old 04-21-20, 08:30 AM
TugaDude

Forgot one detail. I found some Dia-Compe Gran Compe cable straddle hangers NOS at an old bike shop. I love how they help the function of the Vaniquer 999s.
Old 04-21-20, 08:38 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Excellent! I've got a "76 Grand Touring equipped much the same way. That saddle certainly grew on me. I swapped it out for a more modern saddle when restoring the bike, but it just didn't look right. I put that old Selle Italia back on it and I really grew to like it.

Nice job!
Old 04-21-20, 09:13 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I believe it is a 1976. I wrote down the three sets of numbers that were on the bottom bracket, but the important one I think is the set of three numbers, which is 6 03. I believe it was made in March of 1976. This version of the Grand Jubile' has Huret dropouts. Some years had Campagnolo. The only detail I'm not sure about is the top of the seat stays. Mine are semi-wrap around but are not painted with black and gold like they are on in the photos. I've checked several Moto catalogs and the tops of the stays on all of them show the flat portion painted black with an oval of gold around the perimeter. Mine obviously doesn't have that. I'm certain mine is original paint and there is zero evidence of it wearing off, etc. The overall paint is in great shape, which I have read is common for some of the older Motobecanes, very durable, hard paint.
Someone else with a suspected 1976 without painted seatstay caps! I have your bike's silver sibling

I reached the same conclusion of the production date via the stamped numbers on the bottom of the BB shell. I also have Huret dropouts and mine came with what I believe was the stock SR Apex. I think that 1976 was a bit of a transitional year for the GJ, later they switched to Vitus tubing and I believe all Japanese running gear. I think that 1976 was the last year of the Huret-equipped Reynolds 531 GJs? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

They are nice to ride, aren't they?

Old 04-21-20, 09:21 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by abshipp
Someone else with a suspected 1976 without painted seatstay caps! I have your bike's silver sibling

I reached the same conclusion of the production date via the stamped numbers on the bottom of the BB shell. I also have Huret dropouts and mine came with what I believe was the stock SR Apex. I think that 1976 was a bit of a transitional year for the GJ, later they switched to Vitus tubing and I believe all Japanese running gear. I think that 1976 was the last year of the Huret-equipped Reynolds 531 GJs? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

They are nice to ride, aren't they?

They really are a nice ride. The catalog lists them as 24 lbs., I think, which is made lighter by removing a bunch of stuff in making it SS. I don't have a bike scale, and the weight doesn't really matter to me, but I'll bet it is around 22 lbs. as it sits.
Old 04-21-20, 09:23 AM
TugaDude

From the 1976 catalog...
Attached Files
Old 04-21-20, 09:24 AM
TugaDude